Parliamentarian detained in Somaliland due to questioning 18 may as Independence Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mercury

Ha igu daalinee dantaada raac
VIP

Hargeisa–Security forces in Somaliland apprehended the parliamentarian by the name of Mr. Mohamed Ahmed Dhakol yesterday after he fiercely came against the celebration of the nation’s national day which is marked across the nation on 18th of May every year.

Firstly of all, he was detained at Hargeisa central police station at the heart of the capital and is due to be transferred to Criminal Investigation Department (CID) for interrogations.

Lawmakers in Somaliland have a right which nullifies their arrest as this is enshrined in the state’s national constitution.

The biggest reason for arresting the MP was that he questioned the independence day that it does not represent a national day but it is marked by Somali National Movement (SNM), a rebel movement that launched an armed struggle against the military gov’t led by deceased General Siyad Bare.

Mercury

VIP
Somaliland Police have confirmed the arrest of the MP. Deputy Police Commissioner Gen. Abdirahman Liban Foohle told the press that the MP has broken the law by denying the birth of Somaliland. Police allege Mr. Dhakool to have incited division and hatred.

Broken the law by Denying the birth of Somaliland”

:gucciwhat:

Mercury

VIP
This is what he was arrested for

The MP proposed that the correct Independence Day of Somaliland is June 26. On that day in 1960, Somaliland gained independence from the British colonial rule.

Mr. Dhakool claimed that May 18 is not an independence day and its history did not belong to all Somalilanders.

VixR

Veritas
So stupid.
This is what he was arrested for

The MP proposed that the correct Independence Day of Somaliland is June 26. On that day in 1960, Somaliland gained independence from the British colonial rule.

Mr. Dhakool claimed that May 18 is not an independence day and its history did not belong to all Somalilanders.

I can see his point, but I looked up the dates and after that independence date of June 26th, 1960, they joined with the south to form Somalia before seceeding in May 18th, 1991. Is he going to pretend that span of 30 some years didn’t happen, and still claim independence from Somalia? Makes no sense.

But ffs they should let the guy go :snoop:

he has his own agenda. good they dragged him to jail. he be out soon anyway after his 15 minute fame.

Mercury

VIP
So stupid.

I can see his point, but I looked up the dates and after that independence date of June 26th, 1960, they joined with the south to form Somalia before seceeding in May 18th, 1991. Is he going to pretend that span of 30 some years didn’t happen, and still claim independence from Somalia? Makes no sense.

But ffs they should let the guy go :snoop:
It’s stupid but I don’t think this should even warrant an arrest to begin with

Mercury

VIP
they probably know his intentions and his track record. am sure they will let him go in few days but just to show him they can play the game too.
Arresting him over saying this shows how fragile and weak the country is

Imagine wasting resources on jailing someone who doesn’t believe 18 may is a national day

What does jailing him even achieve?

VixR

Veritas
You’re shifting, no one’s talking about Somalia.

You’re too unnecessarily protective, and Mercury is too adversarial (in this case, he’s right to be). How come there’s never any middle ground on here, it’s always either one extreme or the next. I’ve yet too see someone productively criticize something they support on here. If you admit it’s wrong to jail someone for talking about dates, will the ground swallow you up?

Tukraq

VIP

You’re too unnecessarily protective, and Mercury is too adversarial (in this case, he’s right to be). How come there’s never any middle ground on here, it’s always either one extreme or the next. I’ve yet too see someone productively criticize something they support on here. If you admit it’s wrong to jail someone for talking about dates, will the ground swallow you up?
its not really either or, as both have been pretty bad especially when it comes to this topic, difference is SL has the power to act on their policing and jail people for speech while the fgs hold no actual power and is more of a ceremonial role with representing to foreign nations, if they had the same control the same would probably happen due to the case he showed

Abuses by govt and allied forces in somalia.

Security forces unlawfully killed and wounded civilians during infighting over
land, control of roadblocks, and disarmament operations, particularly in Mogadishu and Lower Shabelle. Dozens of government and security officals and former electoral delegates were assassinated; Al-Shabab claimed responsibility for some of the killings.

Intelligence agencies at the federal level, in Puntland and Jubaland, arbitrarily arrested and detained many individuals for prolonged periods without charge or access to legal counsel or family members. Somali authorities and Somalia’s international partners committed to building an accountable national security sector, but the federal government failed to pass legislation clarifying the mandate of the intelligence agency.

While military prosecutors handed over some files implicating security force members to civilian judges, military courts continue to try a broad range of cases and defendants, including for terrorism-related offenses, in proceedings falling far short of international fair trial standards. According to media reports and the United Nations, the government in 2018 carried out at least four executions of security force personnel mainly convicted of murder of other members of the security forces.

https://www.hrw.org/world-report/2019/country-chapters/somalia

VixR

Veritas
its not really either or, as both have been pretty bad especially when it comes to this topic, difference is SL has the power to act on their policing and jail people for speech while the fgs hold no actual power and is more of a ceremonial role with representing to foreign nations, if they had the same control the same would probably happen due to the case he showed
I’m talking about his inability to admit it’s wrong just bc it’s SL. Likewise, if it was someone from the south they’d pull the same thing, and post articles from the north.

They only criticize the “other side”, and not their own.

That’s how you know it’ll all remain a shithole for the foreseeable future.

problem is Mercury always googles such stuff and only concentrates only on somaliland when far worse things happening else where. I see her as qabilist.

problem is Mercury always googles such stuff and only concentrates only on somaliland when far worse things happening else where. I see her as qabilist.
Yo is Mercury a man or women?
May 18 represents SNM and no one else. Snm created SL and its their celebration as they were fighting against Siyaad Barre Gov. This MP and his tribe were fighting against SNM. He said the truth

Status
Not open for further replies.