Ottoman Empire

ottoman-empire-gettyimages-530116841.jpg

Medulla

Bah Qabiil Fluid
akhi norther somali was under somalia tho thats facts tho :comeon:

Enlightment me here since when was trading with another empire equivalent to be under them? I know you didn't say that exactly but how were we part of their empire. As far as I am aware we just traded with them and shared political and religious ideas nothing more then that.

Enlightment me here since was trading with another empire equivalent to be under them? I know you didn't say that exactly but how were we part of their empire. As far as I am aware we just traded with them and shared political and religious ideas nothing more then that.
after the fall of the Adal sultanate from Djibouti to berber and much of Harar came under Egyptian khedive rule with basically ottoman rule

Medulla

Bah Qabiil Fluid
after the fall of the Adal sultanate from Djibouti to berber and much of Harar came under Egyptian khedive rule with basically ottoman rule

Are you talking about Modern day somalia here or Somaliweyn? Also do you have any sources for your claims I did a quick google search didn't find anything. Sounds like an interesting read help me out here

:feedme:

Medulla

Bah Qabiil Fluid
just look up the history of zeila

Bro you let me down I thought you had some real sources not a wikipedia page that references two books one about empires of Ethiopia and Yemen the other IM Lewis . I've read the latter book and it said no such thing why you get my hopes up like that man? I wanted to add " we wuz turkish" to my list of posts after ramadan ended.

:kendrickcry:

Bro you let me down I thought you had some real sources not a wikipedia page that references two books one about empires of Ethiopia and Yemen the other IM Lewis . I've read the latter book and it said no such thing why you get my hopes up like that man? I wanted to add " we wuz turkish" to my list of posts after ramadan ended.

:kendrickcry:
ignore the wikipidea link just look up the history of zeila simple :gucciwhat:

Ottomans controlled Zeila from time to time. The Ottomans were the ones giving orders to Adal and supplying them with the firearms that allowed Adal to defeat Ethiopians in battle, Ethiopians didn't have any type of firearm before the Portuguese gave them some, that was a key reason as to why Adal was pushing the Ethiopians hard under the imam. Adal was the first power in the horn to reveive firearms. Part of the reason the imam died in his last battle against the Ethiopians is because he cut down on Ottoman troops and aid, he wanted to stop Ottoman dependancy but it costed him.

When the imam killed Vasco de Gama the Ottomans were really pissed off at the imam because they needed him captured and alive to extract information and use as him hostage.

Zeila was also ruled by Egyptian Pashas in the 1800s. It was also Yemenite in the 1600s, Somali nomads tried to overrun the city but a small Yemeni-mocha militia was able to stop any raid.

Link to Ottoman control of Zeila: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ottoman_Zeila

Link to Yemeni and Egyptian control of Zeila: https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Zeila#/Ottoman_period

This map is inaccurate. The Ottomans didn't cover the entire Eritrean coast at all, they only managed to occupy the Massawa port city and its surrounding areas. Ottomans marched deeper and reached the centre of Medri Bahri (Eritrea, but was a separate kingdom at the time) but were defeated in battle by the king and his mere peasants. After that the Ottomans retreated all the way back to Massawa and started making treaties with the king before he got killed by the Ethiopians. As soon as he died the Ottomans gave the control of Massawa to the local Tigre population.

The Ottomans tried to impose taxes on the local Sahos who controlled the route. The Sahos completely refused and nearly destroyed the Ottomans in Massawa in response to Ottoman threats, the Tigre rulers managed to calm them down. Sahos would attack caravans on their way to Massawa, the Ottomans imprisoned and shipped off a few Sahos as punishment but the Saho protested so badly that the Ottomans brought back the prisoners right away on ships.

Medulla

Bah Qabiil Fluid
Ottomans controlled Zeila from time to time. The Ottomans were the ones giving orders to Adal and supplying them with the firearms that allowed Adal to defeat Ethiopians in battle, Ethiopians didn't have any type of firearm before the Portuguese gave them some, that was a key reason as to why Adal was pushing the Ethiopians hard under the imam. Adal was the first power in the horn to reveive firearms. Part of the reason the imam died in his last battle against the Ethiopians is because he cut down on Ottoman troops and aid, he wanted to stop Ottoman dependancy but it costed him.

When the imam killed Vasco de Gama the Ottomans were really pissed off at the imam because they needed him captured and alive to extract information and use as him hostage.

Zeila was also ruled by Egyptian Pashas in the 1800s. It was also Yemenite in the 1600s, Somali nomads tried to overrun the city but a small Yemeni-mocha militia was able to stop any raid.

Link to Ottoman control of Zeila: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ottoman_Zeila

Link to Yemeni and Egyptian control of Zeila: https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Zeila#/Ottoman_period

The wikipedia page you cited is just plain misleading, but the other link you provided lead me to this

Zeila.png

If they never really held any power directly can you consider us being part of their empire. On top of that it said the port was "annexed" it never mentioned the town as a whole. Also with that link it doesn't source anything properly more rambles without any definite proof. These guys were just claiming things with no real power to exert it's all a farce.

:mjlaugh:

The wikipedia page you cited is just plain misleading, but the other link you provided lead me to this

View attachment 110541

If they never really held any power directly can you consider us being part of their empire. On top of that it said the port was "annexed" it never mentioned the town as a whole. Also with that link it doesn't source anything properly more rambles without any definite proof. These guys were just claiming things with no real power to exert it's all a farce.

:mjlaugh:

Ottomans controlled the port town of Zeila, the trade routes to Harar, and the city of Harar.

No one ruled the Somali nomads, there was no benefit to.

Trending