osmanya will never work give up on it you tainted the siad barre page.

Tiyeglow

A Laandheere always pays his debts
The Somali language has actually become so dilluted with English words that Cismanya would be one of the main preservers of the language. Honestly, being in Somalia, so much of everyday words and objects is in English that someone born here can barely string a sentence without using English at least once (in a somewhat mistranslated way, for e.g. Account is Akkon).

The concept of calque and loanwords is a natural part of language adaptation and history of languages as they engage with other languages, but the rate that Somali language is going is very scary. I have been to Morocco, and Darija is essentially a weak form of Arabic, French and Berber - it lacks any authenticity or identity in my opinion. For the Somali language to circumvent this same issue, it must adopt a script beyond Latin. How will this help? It would minimise the loanwords and it will also create consistency. Today in Somalia, the most inconsistent letter is 'c'. It is used as an ع however it isn't used consistently when an English word is borrowed - there is a hesistancy to use 'k' instead of 'c' because the origin of the word is 'c' in the English language. So there are countless issues with Latin Somali.

it was good that it wasnt chosen, arabic is a threat to our language as its spoken more and has more foundations you should see beyond your emtions sxb
Somali elites now over use both Arabic and English loan words. What is killing the language is lack of written literature and the decline of Somali poetry etc amongst young people. The Ajami scripts of the past in West Africa show that adoptedArabic doesn’t always lead to a decline in their the language in favour of Arabic. In fact, the fact that African sheikhs do word for word translation of Arabic words is one of the things that has made African languages survive. Farsi and Urdu still thrive using their adapted Arabic script.

Arabic script can work fine if Somalis were creating new words for new concepts and objects as they did in the 1970s. The decline of sophisticated poetry is a also a great shame. Somali poetry ensured the average nomad Keane thousands of complex words expressing literal and abstract ideas. But there is no point now. We are stuck with the Latin script and tik too as our intellectual medium.

i feel like we should keep the script but make up a letter for oo , uu ,ii ,ee cuz when you read somali it just looks weird and out of place maybe keep these letters but add like an accent a line or smth ontop or bottom to signify eg :

1713187377236.png

also having latin means they can learn english easier and there's load of resources you can access when you know English

CABDULWALI XASAN.

Cabdul's Status CLOSED until further notice.
it was good that it wasnt chosen, arabic is a threat to our language as its spoken more and has more foundations you should see beyond your emtions sxb
Nah fam, take a look at Urdu and Persian they utilize arabic script whilist maintaining their traditional language. Further more this will bring us closer to the script of the Holy quran And we are muslims too

CABDULWALI XASAN.

My uncle AUN invented that script but I hate the losers who use it online, it was never ment for mass-uptake and only murtards use it.
Exactly, When i first discovered the script Ngl I was pretty happy and thrilled But using this forum it just a easy marker to identify Stupid nationalists (which says alot because im somewhat of a nationalistic dude) or as you said ex muslims and theyre crazy hate over anything muslim which extends to arabic

CABDULWALI XASAN.

The Somali language has actually become so dilluted with English words that Cismanya would be one of the main preservers of the language. Honestly, being in Somalia, so much of everyday words and objects is in English that someone born here can barely string a sentence without using English at least once (in a somewhat mistranslated way, for e.g. Account is Akkon).

The concept of calque and loanwords is a natural part of language adaptation and history of languages as they engage with other languages, but the rate that Somali language is going is very scary. I have been to Morocco, and Darija is essentially a weak form of Arabic, French and Berber - it lacks any authenticity or identity in my opinion. For the Somali language to circumvent this same issue, it must adopt a script beyond Latin. How will this help? It would minimise the loanwords and it will also create consistency. Today in Somalia, the most inconsistent letter is 'c'. It is used as an ع however it isn't used consistently when an English word is borrowed - there is a hesistancy to use 'k' instead of 'c' because the origin of the word is 'c' in the English language. So there are countless issues with Latin Somali.
You bring up a good point which is the issue of language preservation, however your basis and reasoning for this problem is mis attributed. This problem is being caused by the dispersal of the Somali people to Western countries where lack of language learning and over exposure to languages like english Naturally leads to adoption of English words at an excelerated rate. Surely there is a somali counterpart for Account but who do you think is remembering it? Our parents were kids-teenagers-young adults when the stuff went down in somalia and they barely had any formal education. They special and High level words of the somali language are being wiped out because? they were not being passed down in the proper way. Listening to the og somali language I often hear words I have honestly never heard before, Even Adeers here in america do not use those words. do you know why? because theres no reason too, you hear the american word much more often why not just use that instead of trying to stop mid convo and figure out what HIS parents use to refer it too a word that is barely used anyways.

CABDULWALI XASAN.

i feel like we should keep the script but make up a letter for oo , uu ,ii ,ee cuz when you read somali it just looks weird and out of place maybe keep these letters but add like an accent a line or smth ontop or bottom to signify eg :

View attachment 324824

also having latin means they can learn english easier and there's load of resources you can access when you know English
Precisely, some special characters need to be introduced to the somali latin script, it would solve the issue that someone broguht about about Double letters and C.

However, im still leaning more towards the arabic script. Its already well adapted and has been being used for nearly 1000 years. This would boost literacy to a population that already knows and understands the arabic script. Compared to latin which is foreign and would take extra learning from the somali population. This type of situation is even worse for osmanya, a new script that is completely absent outside of the digital world, at least with the latin script the majority of somali people (regardless if you can speak it) have seen it through globalization and are somewhat familiar with it.

Exactly, When i first discovered the script Ngl I was pretty happy and thrilled But using this forum it just a easy marker to identify Stupid nationalists (which says alot because im somewhat of a nationalistic dude) or as you said ex muslims and theyre crazy hate over anything muslim which extends to arabic
I had one of those losers seething over my posts for like 5 different threads because I said a specific Banadiri clan did silverwork/jewelry and not tumaal. He called me anti-Somali and accused me of being an Ethiopian, because I disagreed with him.

Trending