Original Geeljire dishes

World

VIP
It makes sense why we didn't have a seafood culture.

Groups that lived near the coast didn't last long because those regions weren't fit for farming or pastorialist (lack of pastures).

Fishing won't complete a diet.

Also in a place full of roaming nomadic clans you don't want your permanent settlement known in case of droughts.
No it’s because there are no good abundant trees in Somalia for ship building due to the arid environment

Same reason why Ancient Egyptians weren’t a strong naval people

if it was made in Somalia than its somali food regardless of ethnicity, cadcads and mushingly are somali in my book

@Tukraq

Great, we think alike in that regards, but they've imported from their original countries. There are many variations of Xalwa in the middle east, India and all the way to Turkey and Greece.

Yemeni Halwa

upload_2019-7-26_6-15-3.jpeg

Tukraq

VIP
@Tukraq

Great, we think alike in that regards, but they've imported from their original countries. There are many variations of Xalwa in the middle east, India and all the way to Turkey and Greece.

Yemeni Halwa

View attachment 76234
yeah but who's to say that was the original and not the somali one? could be reverse importation for example here in Seattle the teriyaki dish was created by Japanese immigrants it gained fame and made its way back to Japan, its not Japanese food but an American dish by Japanese American immigrants, same thing could be the case here, the cadcad in mogadishu were known merchants who's products reached as far as the places you mentioned and were known to be fat and wealthy i.e. they were the ones making the sales to these barren desserts from mogadishu port

Ras

It's all so tiresome
VIP
whats that? I agree we arent a food oriented people so i doubt its them that took from us

Never heard of the Manhattan project?

What do they teach you at school?

Unless you went to school in Africa then nevermind.

Ras

It's all so tiresome
VIP
No it’s because there are no good abundant trees in Somalia for ship building due to the arid environment

Yh that also makes a lot of sense. Any trees around would've already been cut down for fire.

Our ancestors picking Somalia to settle in was a curse and a blessing.

Tukraq

VIP

if we weren't a naval people then why did we have such a broad presence in the Indian Ocean and Red Sea? we were a well travelled people with settlers in far away locales

yeah but who's to say that was the original and not the somali one? could be reverse importation for example here in Seattle the teriyaki dish was created by Japanese immigrants it gained fame and made its way back to Japan, its not Japanese food but an American dish by Japanese American immigrants, same thing could be the case here, the cadcad in mogadishu were known merchants who's products reached as far as the places you mentioned and were known to be fat and wealthy i.e. they were the ones making the sales to these barren desserts from mogadishu port

@Tukraq

Sxb, it is a fact. Talk to any Somali cadcad and they will tell you it's history.

Ras

It's all so tiresome
VIP
It’s just fucking food! You self haters will find any way to attack and hate against Somalis. Holy shit.

Not having world renowned scientists could be forgiven but a lack of original dishes is unacceptable.

Apollo

VIP
@World

About the tree thing, it is not true. There are some mountain forests in Northern Somalia that have a lot of trees.

But it would be a logistic nightmare to carry that all the way to the coasts when you only had donkeys and camels.

Tukraq

VIP
@Tukraq

Sxb, it is a fact. Talk to any Somali cadcad and they will tell you it's history.
whats a fact? I'm telling you historic documentation shows that cadcads were the ones distributing to theses arabs and not the other way around if you read in-between the lines, cadcads are also notorious for not knowing there history as they think they're from Portugal and are European lol

@Tukraq

You know better than these CadCads (Yemeni ethnicity) and who invented pasta? Dahir Alasow?

NotMyL

"You are your best thing"
VIP
upload_2019-7-25_15-33-13.jpeg

We still got this, canjeero/laxoox iyo odkac

Yoo

Eel eh?
@World

About the tree thing, it is not true. There are some mountain forests in Northern Somalia that have a lot of trees.

But it would be a logistic nightmare to carry that all the way to the coasts when you only had donkeys and camels.
Do we have the materials to make ships? modern ones ofc

Yoo

Eel eh?
we have decent ships currently
AP348980180592.jpg

if it were safer I would scavenge the coast for the missing luxury yachts that are there
Lol, I always ask myself why there isnt an urgency into making makeshift navy:farmajoyaab: one capable enough to take control from the foreign navies cant be too much to ask, just look at kenya's unimpressive navy

Tukraq

VIP
I think they are mostly imported nowadays.

@Tukraq the big ones are imported. That one even has Chinese symbols on it.

They do make small ones locally.
its not "imported" but stolen by pirates, like I said theres hundreds of these laying around the coast and still some missing luxury yachts from pirate seizures which I would have tried to get my hands on if it were safer

Trending