Only investments can save PM Khayre, not politics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Somalia projects
Upgrading of Sinay Market, Mogadishu

City Wide Plan for Gabiley

Planned City Extension for Bosasso

City Wide Strategy and Priority projects for the country

Local Government Finance System and Property Taxation in Fragile Cities in Somalia

Port and Roads Infrastructure Upgrading in Bossaso

Hargeisa Urban Water Supply Upgrading Project (HUWSUP)

Improving Urban Water Service Delivery in Somaliland, Targeting Burao, Erigavo, Tag Wajaale, and Boroma Towns, Somaliland

Design, Construction, and Connection of Hora Haadley Well Field and Transmission Facilities (via Geed Deeble) and Small Water Distribution System in Dar es Salaam Village, Somaliland, and Procurement of Pipes, Valves, and Fittings for 23-km Water Pipeline under HUWSUP

Shelter Provision, Reintegration, and Improved Livelihoods for Returnees and Internally Displaced Persons in Three Towns in Somaliland

Integration of Long-term IDPs into the Host Community in Bossaso

Shelter Provision, Reintegration, and Improved Livelihoods for Returnees and IDPs in Four Towns in Somaliland

Joint Programme on Local Governance and Decentralized Service Delivery, Phase Two

Sustainable Employment Creation and Improved Livelihoods for Vulnerable Urban Communities in Mogadishu (SECIL)

Support to Construction of Teachers Training Institute in Hargeisa, Somaliland

Job Creation through Market Rehabilitation in Mogadishu

Federal Government of Somalia and United Nations Joint Programme on Youth Employment

https://unhabitat.org/somalia-projects/

@Canuck I understand and respect what is already being done on the ground, but this is exactly the point, all this stuff is small scale.

What i'm talking about here, is one big fish investment that can be implemented nation-wide, at the same time.

Every single investment that comes in is regional, which creates animosity amongst people and encourages the youth to tahrib. As commendable as small scale community projects are, this is low-jack in a world where we have every single ingredient to succeed, yet aren't progressing as we should.

We have to support Pm Khayre and President Farmaajo and applaud them for the remarkable socio-political changes they have already accomplished, but socio-political changes for the better do not feed people. They don't help a starving mother with 7 children pay for her electricity needs, or even for the coal that she needs to cook food with.
The Berbera/bosasso ports, expensive roads that regional leaders foolishly spend all their aid money on, solar power farms that will feed electricity to a pathetic grid with loose hanging wires; where the solar farm owner charges the EXACT same thing for electricity as the idiots with electricity generators, electricity prices that are the most expensive in the world when there isn't a power cut. Diesel generators are for emergencies and for short term basis, only a fool would try to build an industrial economy/factories with diesel generators. Internet data that is some of the most expensive in Africa and which holds back the progress of the country (when the cables aren't cut.)

The government isn't responsible for creating these negative situations, but they can and are indeed the only ones, with the power and responsibility to erase or better them by seeking large scale infrastructure investments that relieve the burden of the poorest in society. We're in a situation where the interest of the poorest and most vulnerable in our society, correlates perfectly with the need of foreign investors with regards to industrial factories, and that is cheap and reliable electricity. This is just one aspect of it, but i'm sure you get the point.

We need to support them both, but also hold them accountable for (only) the things that they are responsible for (fairly and without qabyalaad,) that's how we progress as a nation. Let's not bring up small scale community projects as a defense for why there aren't any large scale job creating investments.

Our economy is beyond low-jack right now, but the government have the power to find and attract investments, and it's possible because every other country does it, even Iraq/South Sudan/ Afghanistan.

All they have to do is establish a one-stop-shop where companies can be registered with all the relevant paperwork, tax documents and licenses provided on the spot. I'm mentioning this because every other country in Africa has this, what's our excuse?

This would also virtually erase corruption and nepotism.

Initial seed financing for the Fund has been provided by the UK’s Department for International Development and the Islamic Development Bank. The Bank intends to scale up its resource mobilization campaign for the Fund, by convening a Donor Roundtable meeting in November 2016, and a subsequent Infrastructure Investment Conference in early 2017.
https://www.afdb.org/en/news-and-events/afdb-approves-somalia-infrastructure-fund-16274/
I
Initial seed financing for the Fund has been provided by the UK’s Department for International Development and the Islamic Development Bank. The Bank intends to scale up its resource mobilization campaign for the Fund, by convening a Donor Roundtable meeting in November 2016, and a subsequent Infrastructure Investment Conference in early 2017.

More empty words and promises. You really believe Boris Johnson is gonna give them money when he doesn't even want us to be able to defend ourselves? His interest is for President Farmaajo's government to remain weak, otherwise how's he going to steal all the oil once the verdict comes from the Kenya Sea basin lawsuit.

In that quote above, they say "intend," not "shall." There's no legal promise made there, which means this is more hot air. What actually came from the London conference? Not a single thing. And there was never any plan to give Somalia anything. Just empty promises to make sure the administration follows their political agenda for the next 2 years. We need to do better.

We need to stop listening to, and begging these god damn cadaans, that's why we're in this mess in the first place.

President Farmaajo and PM Khayre need to find large scale private investments that don't come with political carrots and obligations.

Ras

It's all so tiresome
VIP
There should be a complete and total shutdown of all land sales to foreigners. This is because land sales often entitle foreigners to residency and rights that they shouldn't have in the first place. Land should be owned by the state and provided for the purposes of investment over certain periods, such as 99 year lease for foreigners.

Only Somali investors should be able to purchase land, otherwise you get situations like in Somaliland, where the crown prince of kuwait built a $3 million mansion with a HUGE land area that cannot ever be inspected by the government. I heard some nasty, nasty stories about that compound, don't know if it's true or not though so I won't mention it.

What is a fact on the other hand, is the kuwaiti's can claim all the oil "under" that land, just like Bancroft International did with the land that contains uranium deposits outside of Xamar..

If we bring in investments that can generate sufficient revenue for the government, then we don't have to sell valuable land to anyone.

We have to start thinking for the long term.

Yep, leases are the way to go but 99 years are a bit too short.

However I do agree that land can only be owned by Somali citizens (not even the diaspora as they'll just squat on unproductive land).

We should use the commonwealth method where the public owns anything valuable on or underneath land leased.

We have to remember that land sales/l.leases are the fastest way for the government to get revenue.

They can make money at the point of initial lease, annual land tax and a tax when the owners decide to sell it on.

It's a gift that doesn't stop giving.

All land in Somalia's ownership is a bit fuzzy ATM; with some tribes claiming control and sometimes even warlords still owning a big chunk of productive land in the south.

They could make a billion within a year if the government cleans up the law regarding land and create a land registry.

Could be politically sensitive but if done right Farmaajo and Khayre will have much more leverage than the support they would lose from this risky political move.

Ras

It's all so tiresome
VIP
https://www.afdb.org/en/news-and-events/afdb-approves-somalia-infrastructure-fund-16274/

Although I do admire your positivity but let's not rely on others to build our economy for us.

These seed funds are just a distraction and a way for the international community to brag about how they're helping.

Let's not rely on charity to build the billion dollar factories we need to quickly industrialize.

The only thing that's going to help Somalia's economy is a strong rule of law for how businesses should operate in Somalia with guarantees for contracts and etc.

Once you have that foundation; billions of dollars would come instantly from our own citizens and the diaspora.

ATM you can't trust any contract with other businesses, the local or federal government or even the currency.

Handouts from foreigners is just like watering a small part of the desert and expecting a full harvest.

Yep, leases are the way to go but 99 years are a bit too short.

However I do agree that land can only be owned by Somali citizens (not even the diaspora as they'll just squat on unproductive land).

We should use the commonwealth method where the public owns anything valuable on or underneath land leased.

We have to remember that land sales/l.leases are the fastest way for the government to get revenue.

They can make money at the point of initial lease, annual land tax and a tax when the owners decide to sell it on.

It's a gift that doesn't stop giving.

All land in Somalia's ownership is a bit fuzzy ATM; with some tribes claiming control and sometimes even warlords still owning a big chunk of productive land in the south.

They could make a billion within a year if the government cleans up the law regarding land and create a land registry.

Could be politically sensitive but if done right Farmaajo and Khayre will have much more leverage than the support they would lose from this risky political move.
Even if you buy a house for $4 Billion in London you'll never own the land, only lease it, and the maximum lease time never exceeds 99 years.

Land sales are not the fastest way for the government to secure revenue, attracting Foreign Direct investments is.

Although I do admire your positivity but let's not rely on others to build our economy for us.

These seed funds are just a distraction and a way for the international community to brag about how they're helping.

Let's not rely on charity to build the billion dollar factories we need to quickly industrialize.

The only thing that's going to help Somalia's economy is a strong rule of law for how businesses should operate in Somalia with guarantees for contracts and etc.

Once you have that foundation; billions of dollars would come instantly from our own citizens and the diaspora.

ATM you can't trust any contract with other businesses, the local or federal government or even the currency.

Handouts from foreigners is just like watering a small part of the desert and expecting a full harvest.
I agree with this part EXCEPT for the not being able to trust anyone, especially the government.

You CAN trust the government, but only if you can get direct access to the cabinet and bypass all the admin staff with their tribalism/clan loyalties and being in the pockets of the monopolies.

I don't think the government realizes, that their biggest problem is the lower paid staff that act as gate keepers to preserve the power structure of HSM and the local monopolies. If they set up direct lines/email's that could bypass the lower paid staff, then they would gain immense power, because bribes are paid to said staff to keep the monopolies in the loop.

Ras

It's all so tiresome
VIP
Even if you buy a house for $4 Billion in London you'll never own the land, only lease it, and the maximum lease time never exceeds 99 years.

Land sales are not the fastest way for the government to secure revenue, attracting Foreign Direct investments is.

If the government were to fix land laws today I can bet they'll lease a few hundred million dollars worth of it within a year and a billion+ by the second year.

FDI won't come until large funds are comfortable in investing in Somalia. They are mostly low risk funds with pension LP's as backers.

The FDI's interested in Somalia right now are mostly trying to screw us.

You won't get a billion dollars of fair trade anytime soon but from land sales.

Other ambitious projects require years and stronger legal institution which brings it back to my main point.

Ras

It's all so tiresome
VIP
I agree with this part EXCEPT for the not being able to trust anyone, especially the government.

You CAN trust the government, but only if you can get direct access to the cabinet and bypass all the admin staff with their tribalism/clan loyalties and being in the pockets of the monopolies.

I don't think the government realizes, that their biggest problem is the lower paid staff that act as gate keepers to preserve the power structure of HSM and the local monopolies. If they set up direct lines/email's that could bypass the lower paid staff, then they would gain immense power, because bribes are paid to said staff to keep the monopolies in the loop.

The government hasn't got any strong footings in Somalia atm.

If someone higher up in federal/ state politics or even a faction that they are negotiating with takes an interest in your business they can f*ck you over without blinking.

Unless I can sue the government for wrongdoing; I won't trust them.

That's the underlying foundation of the concept rule of law.

Even the government shouldn't be able to escape it or change the rules of the game at a whim.

@Canuck
@RasCanjero
@TheMadMullah
@oday1kenobi

Burkina Faso Starts $800 Million Jobs Plan to Combat Militancy

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...rts-800-million-jobs-plan-to-combat-militancy

Burkina Faso announced an infrastructure development plan that aims to create jobs and boost economic growth in the country’s impoverished northern region, where jobless youths have become prime recruitment targets for Islamist militants.

The 455 billion CFA francs ($819 million) project will prioritize the building of schools, roads, medical facilities and water infrastructure, Prime Minister Paul Kaba Thieba told reporters Thursday in the northern city of Tongomayel. The funds will be disbursed to small and medium-sized businesses to boost employment and prevent the radicalization of young people, Thieba said.

Militancy is “rooted in extreme poverty and despair,” Thieba said. “We know that it’s not yet too late to recover.”

The nation of 19 million has a per-capita income of $650, according to World Bank data. The project will require 89 billion francs this year and 366 billion from 2018 to 2020, Thieba said.

This is the way PM Khayre and President Farmaajo should go. I'm surprised that we have a government that behaves as if they don't know this. You can't fight al kebab with no money. So when a government devotes ALL its energy and resources into fighting al kebab without having a way to generate revenue, it's a recipe for political and national death.

What happens if (when) the "donors" shut off the money pipes? Because we all know that no foreign country or partner want to see this government succeed. None. We have to do better. We have to do for ourselves by ourselves. Change the national anthem from Soomaaliyeey toosoo to Soomaaliyeey Self-sufficiency.

If the government were to fix land laws today I can bet they'll lease a few hundred million dollars worth of it within a year and a billion+ by the second year.

FDI won't come until large funds are comfortable in investing in Somalia. They are mostly low risk funds with pension LP's as backers.

Other ambitious projects require years and stronger legal institution which brings it back to my main point.
I respect your opinion, but I disagree with every single thing you just said, and Bloomberg can back that up. The Sahel region is even worse then we are, yet they can implent plans like this.

Investments aren't attracted or rejected due to just the state of the country, but the confidence in the leader and the government.

President Farmaajo + PM Khayre are only 3rd on the list of the best leaders after Magafuli and Algeria's president.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...rts-800-million-jobs-plan-to-combat-militancy

Burkina Faso is fighting an insurgency in its northern Sahel region where most of 33 militant attacks since 2015 took place, causing 50 deaths. The attacks have dented the country’s reputation for religious tolerance and mirrors a wider trend in West Africa where strikes in Ivory Coast, Mali, Chad and Niger have killed hundreds of people in the past few years.

Militancy is “rooted in extreme poverty and despair,” Thieba said. “We know that it’s not yet too late to recover.”

felloff

FA'CASH GANG BABY

But then Why would i gave away my family land to the government. If i inherited land from my family/clan why would i pay to use it somalia is finished other countries had laws on land from colonial peroid, somalia has lacked law on land for 30 years

Ras

It's all so tiresome
VIP
But then Why would i gave away my family land to the government. If i inherited land from my family/clan why would i pay to use it somalia is finished other countries had laws on land from colonial peroid, somalia has lacked law on land for 30 years

It has to be done in a way that would piss of the least amount of people whilst still bringing value to government and landowners.

If a specific land has been known to be held by a clan for generations than they can have it but they can't go overboard in the amount asked for.

If you have valid papers of ownership backed by documents the government has; then the property is yours.

For anything ambiguous; you figure out a solution as you don't want to kick people out on the street but at the same time condone squatters.

Once you legally verify all the land and properties above; they'll probably increase in value so it's a win for the owners as well.

However now that they've confirmed ownership they have to start paying property tax. :sass2:

It's just the way most countries operate and the government needs the revenues.

However this would also spur more land acquisition as we finally have a semi credible government backing the transactions.

100,000s hectares of prime farmland isn't being cultivated in the south because investors can't trust those state politicians not to screw them after they build everything up.

Land isn't the right way to go, because the land will be used to hold monetary value to safeguard against a weak currency. This would eventually create a land bubble where everyone rushes to by land as an investment vehicle, rather then for development.

If a land fire-sale to generate revenue is initiated by the government, you're virtually guaranteed, that no single piece of land will be used for large scale industrial activity such factories and plants, because there isn't a functioning electricity grid to support industrial activity. Also, not a good idea since there's no urban planning departments with enough manpower or technical capabilities.

felloff

FA'CASH GANG BABY
Why can't we focus on topics like this instead of dead end topics like madows and farax and halimo bashing, this forum needs a think tank section for ideas like this and how to better the somali republic as a whole. I would stop qabayald in this forum if this happens

@Kaleel make this happen

Why can't we focus on topics like this instead of dead end topics like madows and farax and halimo bashing, this forum needs a think tank section for ideas like this and how to better the somali republic as a whole. I would stop qabayald in this forum if this happens

@Kaleel make this happen
Great idea. A safe spot from the cesspool topics.

Kaleel

Staff Member
Administrator

@Kaleel make this happen

Great idea. A safe spot from the cesspool topics.
There's business & development sections.

felloff

FA'CASH GANG BABY
There's business & development sections.

that turns from business and development to my clan's developments better than yours in a couple pages. Is their a way to set up another section for members only just for ideas/think tanks im sure a lot of people would appreciate it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts