"Only Allah can judge me!"

ReyRey

Brummie born & bred
I think everybody has heard this Tupac talking point by now. This phrase is thrown around quite often, mostly by those wanting to find a loophole to justify their questionable actions Most of the people that say this always try to deflect any form of criticization by saying, "Hey! You aren’t perfect, you can’t tell me what to do.” Well, if that were the case, no one on the face of the Earth across the stretch of time, could advise anyone else save the Prophet of Allah (ﷺ) himself. The question is, do we as Muslims believe in this? Is it an Islamic concept? Let's find out.

First let's define 'Judging'. To judge means to form an opinion or conclusion about something.

As Muslims we are told to enjoin good and forbid evil but in order to do that we need judge and come to a conclusion whether something is good or evil and obviously our criterion for this is the Quran and sunnah of our prophet (SAW). Enjoining good and forbidding evil is our duty as Muslims. Allah destroyed a whole group of people who were disobeying him despite having among them one righteous believer. This was because he didn't stand up against the evils his people where committing.Whether it be evils committed against others or those un-harming to others.

Allah tells us,

Those among the Children of Israel who disbelieved were cursed by the tongue of Dawood (David) and Isa (Jesus), son of Maryam (Mary). That was because they disobeyed (Allah and the Messengers) and were ever transgressing beyond bounds. They used not to forbid one another from AlMunkar (wrong, evildoing, sins, polytheism, disbelief) which they committed. Vile indeed was what they used to do. [Surah Al-Ma’idah, 5:78]

Abu Bakr Al-Siddiq narrates,

I heard Allah’s Messenger (ﷺ) say, “When people see something objectionable and do not change it, Allah will soon include them all in His punishment. (Al-Tirmidhi)

Prophet Muhammad (ﷺ) said

If you see a munkar (un-islamic act), you change it with your hand; and if you cannot do that, then change it with your mouth (speak out against it); and if you cannot do [even] that, then forbid it in your heart — and that is the least of belief. (Muslim)

CAN WE JUDGE?
We have numerous examples throughout our history of giving nasîha and judging people based on their actions. Many of the collectors of Hadith like Imam Bukhari used to judge the reliability of the person narrating the hadith by their outward actions and not by “What’s in the heart, Allah knows.”

‘Umar Ibn Al-Khattab said,

Verily, in the time of the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) the people would be judged by revelation, but the revelation has ended. Now we judge you according to your outward deeds. Whoever shows us good, we will trust him and favor him and it is not for us to judge his inner secrets, for Allah will hold him accountable for those. Whoever shows us evil, then we will not trust him or believe in him even if he claims his intention is good. [Sahîh al-Bukhari]

I'm going to conclude by saying that yes, as Muslims we are allowed to judge and give nasiha based on the teachings of the Quran and the teaching of our beloved prophet (SAW) but what is not allowed is to feel yourself superior to a person based on your deeds and righteousness. Verily it is Allah who guides and misguides. What you should do is feel grateful to Allah for guiding you and not act with pride, but pray for other people's guidance as well. Allah loves those who are grateful and not those who are arrogant and prideful.

Thank you for reading.

Last edited:

Prettymuslim94

A man trying to be successful
The whole you can't judge me thing is a shaming tactic for people to use so they can do what ever they want. I used to do it when i was doing messed up things last year.

Invader

👾pʅɹoʍ pǝʇɐʅǝxᴉd ɐ uᴉ ƃuᴉʌᴉʅ👾
IMO we should ignore the gays.

But they can't claim Islam and be gay that's my only problem.

Also the LGBT parades are piss-taking when people already know you're gay. :kodaksmiley:

ReyRey

Brummie born & bred
IMO we should ignore the gays.

But they can't claim Islam and be gay that's my only problem.

Also the LGBT parades are piss-taking when people already know you're gay. :kodaksmiley:
Ignoring them won't do us any good. They'll spread their agenda everywhere if we don't keep them in check! As Muslims we enjoin what is good and forbid what is evil!

They make their sexuality their whole identity lol

Trending