Omar Mahadalle - AMA

Status
Not open for further replies.

OfficialAMA

Verified
We need to spread fake news on Twitter that angry Somali fishermen have poured cyanid in the waters and poisoned the fish, in its fight against illegal fishers😅
Not a good solution brother. We need to face the reality and fix these issues. and the most proper way to fix it is to hold corrupt officials accountable and the other part of the problem which is foreign illegal fishing as a general can be easily eliminated and ended. Thanks!

OfficialAMA

Verified
What effect can drilling oil have on the marine life and their habitats? And if we drill oil in our ocean can that reduce the return we could've got from fishing industry?
A new study shows that it affects fish and other marine life in many ways due to seismic waves used in oil exploration. I can't recall exactly but definitely, it affects.

OfficialAMA

Verified
ASC, Omar.

I am indeed praising you for your great work in marine biology and for recognizing our prominent fishing sector and for also exposing corrupt dealings within our governments, at a federal and state level, with both previous and current administrations. Somalia needs more of you, and may you continue on with your great work. Nations, such as Thailand, India and Iran are currently illegally fishing in our EEZ, and we have substantial claims of nuclear waste in our water shelves. Have you or those in working in the sector within Somalia taken up any of these cases and has there been any action taken in order to reduce this and save the livelihoods of Somalis who rely on the fishing and marine sector?

Also, what do you recommend to us diaspora and Somalis living in the land to do, to be able to recognize this major issue, how do we deal with it as a community, if our nations government are not able to do so?
Two great questions! My college mates went back home and they mainly teach in universities. You know research need fund and facilities. Although they are in their early career they are qualified to be in top positions and I believe they can bring change but you know how our country is run. Right people are not in the right positions. I think the diaspora can support institutions established recently that offer marine courses and find a better way to contribute in terms of scientific laboratory facilities, equipment, etc so that the country will have marine professionals. We need to invest in education. Thanks!

Not a good solution brother. We need to face the reality and fix these issues. and the most proper way to fix it is to hold corrupt officials accountable and the other part of the problem which is foreign illegal fishing as a general can be easily eliminated and ended. Thanks!
I wasnt serious brother, but its frustrating knowing that my people cant fend this vultures off😪but you right, and as you are more knowledgable in this field, na hogaami✊🏾

OfficialAMA

Verified
What tools do you use to keep track of fishing trawlers? Waste dumping has been an issue in Somalia for almost three decades, are there any examples of its negative impact on the lives of Somali coastal communities?
I use open source platforms such as Global Fishing Watch and marine traffic.com if their Automatic Identification System is on but most illegal fishing within Somalia EEZ are dark vessels and since what they are doing is illegal they off their AIS. I use satellite imagery to track, ID them, and keep records. Nowhere to hide in the ocean! Regarding the impacts of toxic waste, I don't know apart from the unknown skin disease among coastal communities. The impacts of this waste on the health of communities and environment needs to be investigated. Thanks!

OfficialAMA

Verified
Asc

Is creating domestic consumption a bigger priority than exporting catch? Can seafood be a nutritious way to feed many IDPs in Somalia?
Yep, the government should prioritize developing domestic fisheries and local consumption. Capacity building programs should to the people who really need them. Government has no such plans and everything is run by NGOs. Exporting seafood is also an important source of hard currency. Small scale companies are doing their best but the government is not doing its part. Instead, they are making life worse for small local fishing companies and fisherfolk. The fisheries sector can be good solution for IDPs food security, livelihoods, and reduction of poverty. FGS failed even to negotiate effectively with the Chinese companies so they can have a percent of the catch or at least let them build infrastructure in Somalia to process part of the catch. But when personal interest and money involved the result is what we can see now. A complete failure.

Prime Minister

Somali Promotion Agent
What do you think about Somali fishermen switching to aquaculture because there's a lack of experience and equipment for seafaring vessels as you know Somalia has a rough sea. Would it be economically cheaper to do that is my question?

OfficialAMA

Verified
What do you think about Somali fishermen switching to aquaculture because there's a lack of experience and equipment for seafaring vessels as you know Somalia has a rough sea. Would it be economically cheaper to do that is my question?
Financially speaking, aquaculture needs more techniques and efforts. I mean an industrial level not basic. It's an alternative solution but we have good quality wild fish. No one chooses reef fish and yellowtuna over tilapia. So we only need to develop fishing techniques and it's much easier than switching to aquaculture. thanks!

OfficialAMA

Verified
What do you think of algae based biofuel potential for Somalia?

I have no idea.. but I think there is a possibility for biofuel production since Somali waters are rich in algae.

Considering that illegal fishing is a very big problem in Somalia's sea and our country is giving licenses randomly without considering the damage that will come of that, how long it will take before our marine ecosystems got destroyed. And if it got destroyed how long it will take to recover?
I forget to mention that fish stocks can recover but at a certain level of decline (Scientists say ten years) and need long years of strict management. But when trawls destroy fish or shrimp habitats it may not recover forever depending on the degree of destruction.

Admin

Community Manager
Staff Member
Administrator
Thank you to Omar Mahadalle for joining us and taking the time to answer every question. Follow him on Twitter to keep up with the important work he is doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending