Omar Mahadalle - AMA

Status
Not open for further replies.

OfficialAMA

Verified
Saturday 16 Jan 2021: Omar Mahadalle

aKXDblx.jpg

Omar Mahadalle is a marine scientist, researcher, and environmental activist. He is primarily interested in fisheries management and actively involved in science communication using outreach tools such as Twitter to address key issues in Somali fisheries including illegal fishing and toxic waste dumping.

In recent years Omar Mahadalle has exposed what he refers to as "politically protected" illegal fishing in Somalia, highlighting the roles various Ministry of Fisheries play in licensing trawlers including four trawlers that have caused untold damage to the marine ecosystems in Somalia over the last decade. These trawlers were registered by the federal Ministry of Ports and Marine Transport and issued licenses by the state Ministry of Fisheries which were then endorsed by the federal Ministry of Fisheries. Trawling is prohibited in Somali waters by both federal and state fishery laws.

Omar Mahadalle believes Somalia needs an effective fisheries policy and enforcement capabilities but lacks marine professionals to perform data collection, analyses, and processing. As an advocate for sustainable fishing, Mahadalle hopes to see an end to illegal, unreported, and unregulated fishing in Somalia.

Karim

I could agree with you but then weโ€™d both be wrong
HALYEEY
VIP
Do you think consumption of fish catched from Somalia's coast is safe considering the amount of toxic waste dumped on the shore by foreign vessels over the past 3 decades?!

Aurelian

Forza Somalia!
VIP
Considering that illegal fishing is a very big problem in Somalia's sea and our country is giving licenses randomly without considering the damage that will come of that, how long it will take before our marine ecosystems got destroyed. And if it got destroyed how long it will take to recover?

Grigori Rasputin

Former Somali Minister of Mismanagement & Misinfo.
Staff Member
Wariyaha SomaliSpot
Salaan Sare, Omar,

I just read your tweets. I love the fact that you captured the Somali government ministry of fishing in a corrupt dealings, signing secret contracts with trawlers, in the millions of dollars, with no knowledge by the genera public, money that they will pocket themselves. Ilaahay waxaan uga baryayaa in cancer of the brain uu ku dhaco ku kasta oo tuugnimo xil ku maamulo.
That said, do you believe that we have tremendous riches in our ocean in terms of fisheries and energy resources (oil/gas)?
How can we wage a campaign for our people to turn to seafood as a source of food security? It makes no sense that any of our people should go hungry when we have an ocean right front of our door, an ocean with all these fishes.

Last edited:
We need to spread fake news on Twitter that angry Somali fishermen have poured cyanid in the waters and poisoned the fish, in its fight against illegal fishers๐Ÿ˜…

What effect can drilling oil have on the marine life and their habitats? And if we drill oil in our ocean can that reduce the return we could've got from fishing industry?

Calaf

Veni Vidi Vici
2022 CHESS CHAMP
GENERALISSIMO
VIP
ASC, Omar.

I am indeed praising you for your great work in marine biology and for recognizing our prominent fishing sector and for also exposing corrupt dealings within our governments, at a federal and state level, with both previous and current administrations. Somalia needs more of you, and may you continue on with your great work. Nations, such as Thailand, India and Iran are currently illegally fishing in our EEZ, and we have substantial claims of nuclear waste in our water shelves. Have you or those in working in the sector within Somalia taken up any of these cases and has there been any action taken in order to reduce this and save the livelihoods of Somalis who rely on the fishing and marine sector?

Also, what do you recommend to us diaspora and Somalis living in the land to do, to be able to recognize this major issue, how do we deal with it as a community, if our nations government are not able to do so?

Duchess

HRH Duchess of Puntland, The Viscount of Garoowe
VIP
What tools do you use to keep track of fishing trawlers? Waste dumping has been an issue in Somalia for almost three decades, are there any examples of its negative impact on the lives of Somali coastal communities?

Helios

Certified Liin Distributor
AQOONYAHAN
VIP
Asc

Is creating domestic consumption a bigger priority than exporting catch? Can seafood be a nutritious way to feed many IDPs in Somalia?

OfficialAMA

Verified
How do you feel on Somalis going into marine biology. I hope to become one inshallah I think Somalia needs marine biologists... any advice for future marine biologist? โ™ฅ
Yes, it's an interesting field of study. If you are fascinated by marine life and want to enjoy research in biology or study other scientific aspects of the Ocean. You need a good background in scientific subjects and a passion to study. Go ahead! Good luck to you!

OfficialAMA

Verified
Why is illegal fishing still being allowed in Somalia? Are there politicians benefitting from it?
That's a good question. Thanks! illegal fishing is a worldwide problem and has been a longstanding issue in Somalia. But Somali authorities are part of the problem at both FGS and member states level. Corruption and secret fishing agreements etc are very common.

OfficialAMA

Verified
Do you think consumption of fish catched from Somalia's coast is safe considering the amount of toxic waste dumped on the shore by foreign vessels over the past 3 decades?!
Yes, hazardous waste has been dumped for a long time but I did not encounter a toxicity study of seafood in Somalia. However, what I am sure of is that stolen fish and shrimp from Somalia are consumed in countries that have advanced seafood inspection. So I think it's safe to eat.

OfficialAMA

Verified
What do you suggest we do to protect Somali fishermen? A union perhaps?
I think the Somali government should protect the interest of all Somalis including the right of Somali fisherfolks to have access and exploit their resources. Fishermen associations are very important and I always advocate that they must be part of the decision making process. We need a unified system that gives priority to our developing domestic fisheries and not just selling resources. Currently, FGS and FMS only focus on licensing means there is no consideration for local fisherfolk and the fish stocks they rely on. Unfortunately, licensing huge industrial vessels is part of our national plan as you can read the reports of the Ministry of Planning Investment and Economic Development. For the FGS, it's just about money.

OfficialAMA

Verified
Considering that illegal fishing is a very big problem in Somalia's sea and our country is giving licenses randomly without considering the damage that will come of that, how long it will take before our marine ecosystems got destroyed. And if it got destroyed how long it will take to recover?
Another very good question. I usually say I don't know, we don't know. Somalia doesn't have a unified data collection system and national catch statistics. No fish stock assessments conducted. No data means that we can't say catch declined scientifically but we can rely on Somalia fishermen. They reported less catch and that they travel long distances to fish. The damage may have already been done.

OfficialAMA

Verified
Salaan Sare, Omar,

I just read your tweets. I love the fact that you captured the Somali government ministry of fishing in a corrupt dealings, signing secret contracts with trawlers, in the millions of dollars, with no knowledge by the genera public, money that they will pocket themselves. Ilaahay waxaan uga baryayaa in cancer of the brain uu ku dhaco ku kasta oo tuugnimo xil ku maamulo.
That said, do you believe that we have tremendous riches in our ocean in terms of fisheries and energy resources (oil/gas)?
How can we wage a campaign for our people to turn to seafood as a source of food security? It makes no sense that any of our people should go hungry when we have an ocean right front of our door, an ocean with all these fishes.
Thanks walal. I can say yes we have rich fishing grounds as long Somali Current continues to bring deep rich nutrient water to the surface. Somali waters are a feeding ground for tuna and tuna-like species and Somalia has a huge advantage to become a fishing nation and develop a sustainable commercial fisheries sector that's highly beneficial to coastal communities, fisherfolks, and overall economic development in the country. Yeah, you are right. No one should be hungry in Somalia. We need to encourage people to eat seafood I think that needs to be studied by social scientists but I am told that consumption of seafood in Somalia has increased over the past ten years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts