Obstetrics fistulas are too common amongst Somali child brides

My relative does voluntourism in Ogaden and Jubaland but primarily in the health care field. I was just browsing his medical folder a couple of months ago when I stumbled across the obstetrics fistula folder. I questioned him about the pictures and turns out it is common occurrence across Somalia. The major cause was child marriages which are so common in Somalia.

Child marriages are not a problem in Somalia, its ignorance and lack of education is. You fix those 2, everything else will fix itself. I promise you that.

The same problem with FGM, you give them a better alternative and ban the old form of mutilation, it would solve everything.

Example is: open better clinics in Baadiyo and towns and educate the former workers as nurses with specialty in small scale circumcision. Instead of everything being cut and sewn together, only the halal part is cut.

Do that for a generation, and then change the rules again. And make such practices Sunnah, meaning the girl has to come of age and decide for herself. So to be circumcised, the parents wont be asked, but the owner of the body will be asked. (In just 1 generation, everything has been changed. We have reverted back to the true Islamic traditions)

Remember, you cant abolish the old ways, and believe people will accept your request. To make changes in Somalia, you need a lot of money. From how people think, to how people should act and also in how they utilize their free time.

The greater Somalia has 25+ million people, to implement such drastic changes in a such large population you need to have funds for it. Libraries, Clinics and Schools all for one purpose, to change their ways without being intrusive. Change the badiyoos to rural towns, instead of people being scattered everywhere, everybody is located in one rural town (3 million dollar expensive per town). Lets say each small scale rural town has 10,000 citizens, you need 1500 of them.

To change Somalia as a whole, you need 9 billion dollars and an army of 50,000 soldiers. Thats only the start phase, to make this rural towns sustainable, you need a lot industries. From Textile industry, Agriculture and Mining industry. This is the difficult part, finding investors with such knowledge.

When Somalia becomes an exporter in the horn of Africa, we will be the China of Africa. Although this will take centuries when you add politics to the mix.

Trending