Northern Culture Vs Southern Culture

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
I define northern culture based on 'terrain' so it starts from Beletwayn to Zaylac and all Ogadenia. I class Southern culture, below Beletwayn river to Kismayo(especially if it's farming' zone). Then U have Urban cultures which has it's own unique culture.

I've noticed Southern culture from my maternal abtis who are 'afgoye' people and urbanites(old hamar somali clans not banadiri), I've noticed they have political correctness culture and very reserved in public situation(ceeb/shame culture), but they also tend to have 'rotten hearts' and will not help you if in need and their politics is 'two face' also not 'direct' due to the public 'shame' aspect. Wa dad 'booto badan' besani types, but behind closed doors or their inner circle they are 'vile, rotten, gossipy, etc' and they don't tend to help anyone in time of need.

Then you have northern cultures, they tend to be 'direct and frank' and 'loud n proud' and very 'vile mannered' but in time of need, they are a friend indeed. Wa dad ku caynaya lakin waa dad qalbigooda fican and they don't abadon you. They tend to be 'vile mouthed and no sense of public shame' but clean hearts. Wa dad ku caynaya lakin ku noolaynaya. Their POLITICS is 'direct n frank' no pussyfooting either.

Last edited:

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
Unless u been exposed to 'both' type of cultures you won't be able to balance them out and this probably partly the conflict between them as they don't know the 'soul' of each other culture, which 'mixed' clans like me will know the soul of both and can play a 'mediator' role.

I see the same issue in the west. In Australia rural ppl are loud n proud, vile mouthed, but clean hearts, where-as urbanites are politically correct but tend to be 'diseased' hearts. It's not a unique thing to Somalia, 'rural areas' tend to be the 'soul n heart of a country' and the urban areas are 'politically correct and public shame conscious and image focused'.

Last edited:

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
I've noticed northern clans will take a 'bad deal' 4 a long term peace deal even if they take so many losses as long it promotes their interest to survive. I think this stems from the barren land and finite resources and competition which must shift their minds to 'bad peace is better then a good anarchy'

Very good observations Ditoore, I have both notice and heard this as well Somalis are actually very different people culturally considering how small our country is. You always know where you have a Northerner he will go out of his way to make sure you know that. An open enemy that won't hide anything. But as you said also very generous people both to their family and strangers as well. I have observed Northernes standing in line in front of their local Dahabshill office in my small town every month to send money back home while Southernes are very different, selfish, cheap, cold people, midgaan in many ways. Southerners are also independent self reliant people that are hardworking which is good cultural traits. You can have a rich Southerner living in the same city as his starving brother and he wont get a cent. They are very self-centered people with zero compassion. People in Xamar comes across as more civilized because they don't scream out all their clannism hatred, they are in many ways as you said PC or socially intelligent. On the other hand they did commit some of the most vile crimes during the war. As you put it correctly their hearts are dark and cold. Its all fake.

Libaax-Joore

Beesha haplogroup e-by8081
VIP
Very good observations Ditoore, I have both notice and heard this as well Somalis are actually very different people culturally considering how small our country is. You always know where you have a Northerner he will go out of his way to make sure you know that. An open enemy that won't hide anything. But as you said also very generous people both to their family and strangers as well. I have observed Northernes standing in line in front of their local Dahabshill office in my small town every month to send money back home while Southernes are very different, selfish, cheap, cold people, midgaan in many ways. Southerners are also independent self reliant people that are hardworking which is good cultural traits. You can have a rich Southerner living in the same city as his starving brother and he wont get a cent. They are very self-centered people with zero compassion. People in Xamar comes across as more civilized because they don't scream out all their clannism hatred, they are in many ways as you said PC or socially intelligent. On the other hand they did commit some of the most vile crimes during the war. As you put it correctly their hearts are dark and cold. Its all fake.
Southerns are more generous than northerns iam southerners and I send over 100k with in 4 years
08556D26-E48E-47E5-A5F1-3101050AE0DD.jpeg

Last edited:
Hawadle are Nothern Clan we became Hawiye Neighbours by late 18 century when we moved to East Hiiraan that why we have Nothern Character.
Even HG is from the coastal southern Mudug maybe some HG like Sacad are from North but Cayr are recent arrivers of the Goblada dhexe highway.

Som

VIP
Definitely. Northeners compared to reer Mogadishu tend to say what they think even if it's offensive, they also seem more reserved and skeptical or foreigners while reer Mogadishu are probably warmer. I don't think it's north vs south though. It's more reer baadiye vs Urban and Xamar is a metropolis while Hargeysa, Bosaso etc despite being large cities still partially have the old pastoralist mentality.

By the way this is a regional thing nothing to do with clans. Dulbahante shares Northern culture with the Sacad while having nothing to do with Southern Darod clans when it comes to mentality.

Hawadle are Nothern Clan we became Hawiye Neighbours by late 18 century when we moved to East Hiiraan that why we have Nothern Character.
Even HG is from the coastal southern Mudug maybe some HG like Sacad are from North
but Cayr are recent arrivers of the Goblada

Even HG is from the coastal southern Mudug maybe some HG like Sacad are from North but Cayr are recent arrivers of the Goblada dhexe highway.
Where did you get the info on the century when Hawaadle moved further into easy Hiiraan. 🤔

And yes as an XL somali there are culturally more affinities between XL and people from Hiiran and northward and westward rather than south.

Where did you get the info on the century when Hawaadle moved further into easy Hiiraan. 🤔

And yes as an XL somali there are culturally more affinities between XL and people from Hiiran and northward and westward rather than south.
First you need to understand where is the North because HG and Hawiye are not in our North rather in our East and south east.

The North is the direction of Mecca/Qibla and red sea so North Somalia will be somewhere from feerfeer to awdal. PL is North Eeast and Galmudug South east.

So the majority of Hawadle were based in Ceelgaabta(feereer distict of Ethiopia) between 1880s to 1910. Because of drought they moved to east Hiiraan. Maxaas and Moqokori were the last 84 years ago but before that they spread into south of Baladweyne like Halgan their first Capital that why its mixed and called Daaro Ugaas the traditional home of dhaqanka

This Hawadle poet who wrote many songs like Mahiigaan khadro dahir iyo waa lagu kufaa lagu kala jabaa kibirka he is agoon cabdalle was born in Ethiopia feerfeer the same year beesha moved to maxaas and Moqokori.

This video is from djibouti 2000 shirkii carta he was 64 years old now 84 years old the same age of maxaas and moqokori.

North Somalia
Screenshot_20230705-064345~2.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230705-064345~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20230705-064345~2.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

Trending