New Somaliland Excavation

Bass

😼
In 2020, major digs revealed grand buildings and artifacts, The medieval city of Fardowsa, near Sheikh village in Somaliland reveals a timeline spanning from the 14th-18th centuries with trade connections to China, India aswell as the Middle East.

Including what seems to be the existence of elites in the urban settlements.
1711986588210.jpeg

Delicate pottery, exquisite glass bangles, and even Chinese porcelain unveiled Fardowsa's global ties.
It seems Fardowsa was more than just a stop on the trade routes—it was a bustling city of its own.
1711986650541.jpeg

Statehorn with the funding of the European Research Council and The Spanish Council of Scientific Investigations will keep doing excavations in the Somaliland Region, there is currently one in progress that was started in 2021, so stay tuned.
1711987421206.jpeg

Three Moons

Give Dhul-Suwayqatayn not an inch of the Sea!
I wonder if there is a link between the ruined city of Fardowsa and the sister of Ahmed Gurey with the same name? At times an old town or city would acquire a new name in honour of a saint or historical figure.

Garaad Awal

Zubeyri, Hanafi Maturidi
I wonder if there is a link between the ruined city of Fardowsa and the sister of Ahmed Gurey with the same name? At times an old town or city would acquire a new name in honour of a saint or historical figure.
*Imam Axmed, Axmed Gurey was the Chief of the Habar Magaadle (majority of Isaaqs)

killerxsmoke

2022 GRANDMASTER
THE PURGE KING
VIP
Axmed Gurey was Habar Magaadle but the Imam Axmed was complete different individual. People mix up the two individuals. Anyways stop detailing the thread, I was merely correcting the individual who mentioned the Imam’s sister.
Dont excuse me with derailing, you said something false so I replied. Imam ahmed was said to be left handed in the futuh al habasha, when the emperor saw him he didnt knew who he was but when he saw he was holding his sword with his left hand thats when he knew it was imam ahmed aka ahmed gurey, gurey meaning left handed. The one your talking about his name is ahmed girri if I remember correctly, he is the leader of the habr maqdi tribe

killerxsmoke

2022 GRANDMASTER
THE PURGE KING
VIP
Axmed Gurey was Habar Magaadle but the Imam Axmed was complete different individual. People mix up the two individuals. Anyways stop detailing the thread, I was merely correcting the individual who mentioned the Imam’s sister.
Here's the evidence
Screenshot_20240401-211226_Chrome.jpg

Three Moons

*Imam Axmed, Axmed Gurey was the Chief of the Habar Magaadle (majority of Isaaqs)

Ahmed ‘Girri’ Bin Hussein al-Somali did not have a sister named Ferdowsa, nor did he have a brother in-law called Mattan, Imam Ahmed Guray did. Most importantly, there is no evidence that Guray and Girri have the same meaning. Neither the tribe of Girri or the country of Girri has ever been recorded as being the ‘left-handed clan’, not even in the Futuh where they are embellished by the chronicler during their arrival. It’s also absurd to suggest that everybody in the Middle Ages, from the Portuguese to Abyssinians, that faced the Imam in battle somehow confused him and his particular way of holding a sword, with one of his generals.

This old I.M Lewis anti-Somali cope needs to die.

Three Moons

The Futuh Al Habasha doesn’t call him the left-handed but simply refers him as Imam Axmed bin Ibrahim

Ahmed had the title ‘Imam’, so he was basically the ‘Emperor’ when it came to the traditional Somali, Horn and Muslim (especially Yemeni) offices of power. The only office higher than that would be the Caliph or the Pope from a Christian context.

The left-handed nickname is something that really took root later on, even if there was contemporary accounts of him being known as such. Its similar to how Richard the I was later known as the ‘Lionheart’ or Alexander of Macedon became the ‘Great’.

What I.M Lewis is insinuating is that the Somalis, a people obsessed with the accuracy of genealogical trees of descent, somehow were too stupid to differentiate two Somali historical figures and conflated them into one. Just because there were multiple historical Richards and multiple Alexanders in the same kingdom and in the same army does not mean we can now erase one in favour of the other.

NidarNidar

Punisher
Ahmed ‘Girri’ Bin Hussein al-Somali did not have a sister named Ferdowsa, nor did he have a brother in-law called Mattan, Imam Ahmed Guray did. Most importantly, there is no evidence that Guray and Girri have the same meaning. Neither the tribe of Girri or the country of Girri has ever been recorded as being the ‘left-handed clan’, not even in the Futuh where they are embellished by the chronicler during their arrival. It’s also absurd to suggest that everybody in the Middle Ages, from the Portuguese to Abyssinians, that faced the Imam in battle somehow confused him and his particular way of holding a sword, with one of his generals.

This old I.M Lewis anti-Somali cope needs to die.
Habar Maqdi most likely being incorrect spelling of Habar Makador,

"He followed them to a place near the sea, marching for a entire day, and he plundered their lands and lay waste to them."

Which sounds like northwest/Awdal region, the Gadabursi/Samaroon still live in the same areas as the 1600's(Awbare district in the Fafan Zone, the Dembel district in the Sitti Zone and the Harrawa Valley and in Awdal region in Somalia.)

Garaad Awal

Zubeyri, Hanafi Maturidi
Habar Maqdi most likely being incorrect spelling of Habar Makador,

"He followed them to a place near the sea, marching for a entire day, and he plundered their lands and lay waste to them."

Which sounds like northwest/Awdal region, the Gadabursi/Samaroon still live in the same areas as the 1600's(Awbare district in the Fafan Zone, the Dembel district in the Sitti Zone and the Harrawa Valley and in Awdal region in Somalia.)
Habar Makdi was lead by Garaad Dawit (an Ethio Christian name)

Ahmed had the title ‘Imam’, so he was basically the ‘Emperor’ when it came to the traditional Somali, Horn and Muslim (especially Yemeni) offices of power. The only office higher than that would be the Caliph or the Pope from a Christian context.

The left-handed nickname is something that really took root later on, even if there was contemporary accounts of him being known as such. Its similar to how Richard the I was later known as the ‘Lionheart’ or Alexander of Macedon became the ‘Great’.

What I.M Lewis is insinuating is that the Somalis, a people obsessed with the accuracy of genealogical trees of descent, somehow were too stupid to differentiate two Somali historical figures and conflated them into one. Just because there were multiple historical Richards and multiple Alexanders in the same kingdom and in the same army does not mean we can now erase one in favour of the other.

The title of Imam isn't Emperor- it's more like Shogun. By this time, the Walashma Sultans were basically puppet monarchs.

Imam Ahmad took Imam as a title because he couldn't outright remove them and install himself as the Sultan and yet he was the effective ruler. Calling himself 'Garaad' like his ancestors would be pointless because he wasn't a local ruler anymore but the ruler of Adal.

Don't forget the recent clashes between the more militaristic faction and the 'appeasing faction' that lead up to Imam Ahmad taking power after getting rid of Sultan Abu Bakr and installing his brother as a puppet.

Trending