New Research: "Ruined Towns in Nugaal: A Forgotten Medieval Civilisation"

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
437EA078-A529-4B08-907B-F6367DFCC359_w1023_r1_s.jpg

Puntland Research and Development Centre is doing great work Masha'Allah, I hope they go after the British researchers who excavated Nugaal around 40 years ago and check what they stole or as they call it 'discovered'.

Som

VIP
According to archeological evidence these settlements were established by Somali pastoral and trading communities. It wasn't exclusively founded by nomads but the vicinity of these towns allowed these nomads to settle in and expand the settlements. The source I posted are talking about areas that are much greener than Nugaal area. That's not to say agriculture didn't exist in these areas of course. Hawd and even as far as western Ethiopia were linked to the Somali ports so I presumed that's how these three towns in Sool were founded. I was comparing them to other ruined towns in the interior. Honestly, we don't know yet until there are discoveries on how these towns were founded and who allegiance they pledge to.
Nomads probably needed places to rest and maybe sell their goods and purchase stuff they couldn't find in baadiye. This reminds me of cities like Timbuktu that became centers of trade despite being in the middle of the desert.

Som

VIP
Very interesting how they discovered three ruined towns on the Nugaal valley in Sool. Thanks for sharing the article I will download it and read it in the meantime.

As for anyone mentioning the outdated historians who injected non-Somalis to every Somali achievement has now been overturned. The discovered medieval towns in the hinterland were founded by Somali pastoral and trading communities in order to connect and protect the trading routes that linked with the coastal ports.

View attachment 193031

Awbare (near Jigjiga), Awbube (Awdal), Amud (Awdal), Abasa (Awdal), Qoorgaab (Awdal), Gogesa (near Gabiley), Aw-Barkhaadle (near Hargeisa) Fardowsa (near Sheikh), Maduna (Sanaag), Dakkar (near Babille), Derbiga, and Cad Cad. These discovered ruined towns used to be part of the Ifat and Adal Sultanates and were later abandoned after the fall of the Adal state. The only surviving interior settlements of today are Jinacsani (near Jigjiga) and Dire Dawa (Ethiopia).

Many historians believe an ancient kingdom once existed in modern-day Somaliland that communicated and traded with ancient Nubians, Sabaeans (ancient Yemenites) and D'mt Kingdom in Ethiopia. They even believe the Land of Punt extended towards this area. There needs to be more archaeological digging and findings if this is true.
As dr Sada Mire wrote in her book there's evidence of ancient towns all over the interrior of northern Somalia with even ancient ge'ez and sabean writing.
Historians mostly focused on coastal towns but there's so much to discover in the interrior. What makes it even more interesting is that these areas are pretty much empty and not really suitable to build cities. I think these towns were trading posts in the desert.
For example a nomad from Ogadenia would stop by nugaal cities before continuing his journey to coastal towns.
Many people have this wrong belief that nomads were isolated when in reality they had lots of contacts with Somalis and Arabs in coastal towns.

Som

VIP
These inland towns were deep inside Sool so I doubt non Somalis inhabited them, these colonial writers were definitely prejudiced against Somalis which is why they were quick to claim that any civilisation belonged to non Somalis.
Tbh it was the Somalis themselves who said it was built by non somalis because they associated ancient ruins with paganism and Christianity so they wanted to distance themselves from them.

World

VIP
Tbh it was the Somalis themselves who said it was built by non somalis because they associated ancient ruins with paganism and Christianity so they wanted to distance themselves from them.
Yeah well it was a few centuries before them, they just didn’t know.

Som

VIP
Yeah well it was a few centuries before them, they just didn’t know.
Not really. Somalis told this BS to colonizers, they rationalized their pre islamic past bu saying it was built by Harla people. According to many historians the mysterious harla people were incorporated into northern Somali qabils especially Darood. The somali oral history was kinda accurate, they correctly identified some ancient ruins as being pagan or Christian which is confirmed by historians. Sada Mire talks about these issues in depth, somali natives basically wanted to portray themselves as being from arabia to distance themselves from any non muslim past.

World

VIP
Not really. Somalis told this BS to colonizers, they rationalized their pre islamic past bu saying it was built by Harla people. According to many historians the mysterious harla people were incorporated into northern Somali qabils especially Darood. The somali oral history was kinda accurate, they correctly identified some ancient ruins as being pagan or Christian which is confirmed by historians. Sada Mire talks about these issues in depth, somali natives basically wanted to portray themselves as being from arabia to distance themselves from any non muslim past.
These towns were built between the 12-16th century, they were Islamic. They weren’t β€œancient” but medieval lol.

Som

VIP
These towns were built between the 12-16th century, they were Islamic. They weren’t β€œancient” but medieval lol.
Yes. But we are to quick to think somalis were completely islamized in the middle ages while we only have evidence of somali being muslims in coastal towns during that period. It's likely places like Nugaal stayed either pagan or weakly muslim in the middle ages

World

VIP
Yes. But we are to quick to think somalis were completely islamized in the middle ages while we only have evidence of somali being muslims in coastal towns during that period. It's likely places like Nugaal stayed either pagan or weakly muslim in the middle ages
Perhaps your clan were pagan, but Harti have history written about us and we were Muslim in the Middle Ages. Our clan were one of the main components in Imam Ahmed Gurey’s army. Kulaha Nugaal stayed pagan. :nahgirl:

Som

VIP
Perhaps your clan were pagan, but Harti have history written about us and we were Muslim in the Middle Ages. Our clan were one of the main components in Imam Ahmed Gurey’s army. Kulaha Nugaal stayed pagan. :nahgirl:
I said MAYBE. Once upon a time somalis were pagan. Somalis were fully islamized by the 12-13th century which means that between 7th and 13th century there were still somalis who were pagan.

World

VIP
I said MAYBE. Once upon a time somalis were pagan. Somalis were fully islamized by the 12-13th century which means that between 7th and 13th century there were still somalis who were pagan.
Yes but what does that have to do with this thread? These towns were medieval between the 12th-16th century.

Som

VIP
Yes but what does that have to do with this thread? These towns were medieval between the 12th-16th century.
Because we don't know if they were Islamic. Somalis knowigly forgot all pre Islamic stuff so if they forgot this particular town it may be because it was associated with pre islamic somalis.
Just my uninformed guess

Three Moons

Give Dhul-Suwayqatayn not an inch of the Sea!
If they found Jericho and Γ‡atalhΓΆyΓΌk in Somalia, these people would still talk about a 10th to 15th century AD date.

Emir of Zayla

π•Ήπ–†π–™π–Žπ–”π–“ 𝖔𝖋 π•»π–”π–Šπ–™π–˜
If they found Jericho and Γ‡atalhΓΆyΓΌk in Somalia, these people would still talk about a 10th to 15th century AD date.
I can almost bet that there definitely is some major ancient cities up in the North like Hafun (Ancient Opone) for example. Only 0.025% of the city was excavated and there already were signs of major civilization.
IMG_3607.jpeg

Three Moons

Give Dhul-Suwayqatayn not an inch of the Sea!
Hafun is most likely similar to the Greek city of Pavlopetri or the Indian city of Dwarka, where the majority of the ancient port is probably submerged right now beneath the sea because of the millenniums of Indian Ocean encroachment upon the ancient Somali coastline. If cities like Mogadishu will be partially submerged just a hundred years from now without intervention, just think about the coastal settlements from 3000 to 4000 years ago?

A8B195A2-EAD3-42BA-95F8-FD7373D9934D.jpeg

CFA554AC-82B1-4BAF-BBD0-721AB33425EB.jpeg

Trending