Neil Tyson, Atheists are stupid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hatredfree

I got boomer connections
VIP

Neil Tyson says he doesn't associate with Atheists because he is not one and views Atheists as dumb dumb stuck ups

Neil Tyson says he doesn't associate with Atheists because he is not one and views Atheists as dumb dumb stuck ups

NGT is by all definitions an atheists, and not wanting to be associated with the worst elements of the group does not negate that fact.

In regards to the stupidity claims, I find it is much easier to defend on rational grounds a non-belief than the belief in the creation myth, the story of Noah, flying mule/horse and splitting of the moon all which are contrary to known reality.

YourBroMoe

Who the fuck am I? ギくェズー
I watched the whole clip. He didn't call atheists stupid. He just comprehends the difference between a word's semantic use and it's use in practice. He probably accepts, to a certain degree, the semantic (dictionary/textbook) definition of the word atheist. However, he also understands that when someone calls themselves an atheist in practice based on the behaviors of leading atheists, he differentiates himself from those types of people (his definition of atheist). The rest of the video is him giving 3 examples on why he uses terms and expressions with religious origins, because he's not a tight-ass about what he says.

However, based on the semantic view of the word atheist, he's probably an atheist. Since the technical meaning is as follows, "an individual who, due to a lack of evidence, does not accept the belief of God".

When it comes to beliefs and knowledge, the terms have to be made distinct when it comes to one's religious identity.

When it comes to belief, one can either be an atheist, an anti-theist, a theist, or a deist.

An atheist has a lack of faith in God.
An anti-theist believes there isn't a God.
A theist believes there's a God, with a religion attached to that God.
A deist accepts that there is a God on the grounds of reason.

When it comes to knowledge, one can either be an agnostic, or a gnostic.

An agnostic embraces that they don't know if their position based on faith is true or not true.
A gnostic embraces that they know that their position is correct.

As such, one can either be 8 things.

An agnostic atheist. (most of the atheists here)
A gnostic atheist. (most militant atheists)
An agnostic anti-theist. (most annoying anti-religious people)
A gnostic anti-theist. (lunatics who want to rid the world of religion)
An agnostic theist. (most of us here in general)
A gnostic theist. (most cult leaders)
An agnostic deist. (I personally lean towards this position and the agnostic theist position)
A gnostic deist. (most alien-based cult leaders)

Based on this perspective, Dr. Neil deGrasse Tyson is an agnostic atheist.

He just doesn't like some atheists... It's the case for almost all atheists.

I hate Sam Harris. I think he's a fraud. Doesn't mean anything does it?

Status
Not open for further replies.