NASA Will Announce A Major Mars Discovery Today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duchess

HRH Duchess of Puntland, The Viscount of Garoowe
VIP
NASA will detail a major science finding from the agency’s ongoing exploration of Mars during a news briefing at 11:30 a.m. EDT on Monday, Sept. 28 at the James Webb Auditorium at NASA Headquarters in Washington. The event will be broadcast live on NASA Television and the agency's website.

News conference participants will be:

· Jim Green, director of planetary science at NASA Headquarters

· Michael Meyer, lead scientist for the Mars Exploration Program at NASA Headquarters

· Lujendra Ojha of the Georgia Institute of Technology in Atlanta

· Mary Beth Wilhelm of NASA’s Ames Research Center in Moffett Field, California and the Georgia Institute of Technology

· Alfred McEwen, principal investigator for the High Resolution Imaging Science Experiment (HiRISE) at the University of Arizona in Tucson

A brief question-and-answer session will take place during the event with reporters on site and by phone. Members of the public also can ask questions during the briefing using #AskNASA.

http://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasa-to-announce-mars-mystery-solved

R

rcv

Was reading this earlier, and you know what i hate? Announcements about future announcements.

Quick google searches of the scientists shows their all planetary geologists.

Two of them grad students doing planetary geology and a imaging scientist. :O I'm excepting a announcement on flowing water.

Just looked at one of the CV's of the grad student on there (http://www.lujendraojha.net/page-cv/). His dissertation reads, Spectroscopic study of active mass wasting features on Mars. I'm minoring in Earth Sciences/Geology, this basically means their looking for mineral stratification on whatever their imaging. You can usually look at certain minerals/rocks for signs and they tell you a lot about the planets past.

:hmm:
I swear we going to get a announcement of flowing water on mars tomorrow.

Edit: Found further clues that suggest tomorrows announcement will be on flowing water on Mars. The dude in the video below is one of the grad students that will be present in tomorrows announcement.

Last edited by a moderator:
NASA found free-flowing salt water on Mars. Not ice, but liquid water.

Now they're hoping to find tiny microbes on the planet. MashaAllah :nvjpqts:

Duchess

HRH Duchess of Puntland, The Viscount of Garoowe
VIP
Two of them grad students doing planetary geology and a imaging scientist. :O I'm excepting a announcement on flowing water.

Masha Allah, we've got a genius in our midst. :banderas:

“These results provide strong evidence that salty water occasionally flows on the Martian surface, even today. We know from the study of extremophiles on Earth that life can not only survive, but thrive in conditions that are hyperarid, very saline or otherwise “extreme” in comparison to what is habitable to a human,” said Joe Michalski, a Mars researcher at the Natural History Museum London, who was not involved in the research.

“In fact, on Earth, wherever we find water, we find life. That is why the discovery of water on Mars over the last 20 years is so exciting. We have found water in ice form, in permafrost, and in the structures of many types of minerals,” Dr Michalski said.

“This finding is yet another example of water on Mars, but a hugely important one because it points to environments that could potentially be habitable to certain kinds of bacteria, even today. In addition, the discovery of active geological and hydrological processes elsewhere in the Solar System underpins the point that these other worlds are actual places one could visit, where nature is happening every day.”

www.independent.co.uk/news/science/hydrated-salts-how-nasa-discovered-flowing-water-on-mars-and-what-it-means-a6670551.html

R

rcv

Lool nah I just really like geology and earth sciences. All those 5 hour llabs spent staring at rocks helps too.

These articles never mention it but the water isn't present all the time. I think it's only during the summer season. And yep Mars has seasons. Just like earth it has a around 20 ish degree tilt while it rotates around the sun so it gets summers and winters like earth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts