Narcissism in somali community?

From my observation I think the majority of Somalis are narcissistic or at least have a lot of narcissistic traits. What do you guys think?
That's very one dimensional of you. Majority of all people are narcissistic.
it's not something worth focusing on unless you want to approach this from a different angle which requires more detail.

Elaborate for us what exactly you have an issue with :hmm:

Last edited:
That's very one dimensional of you. Majority of people are narcissistic it's not something worth focusing on unless you want to approach this from a different angle which requires more detail.

Elaborate for us what exactly you have an issue with :hmm:
I've delt with narcissistic people in our community who only act in the interest of themselves without thinking of how it will affect other people. There are also a lot of mind games and guilt-tripping. Maybe you can't generalize this and say all Somalis are like this but its just what ive experienced.

I've delt with narcissistic people in our community who only act in the interest of themselves without thinking of how it will affect other people. There are also a lot of mind games and guilt-tripping. Maybe you can't generalize this and say all Somalis are like this but its just what ive experienced.
No my point was that this is an everyone thing. Mind games and guilt tripping are rather generic and general
I thought you had something somali flavoured to bring to the table.
Something uniquely seen only in somali people that you came to noticed.

My bad for thinking most people already know the definition πŸ’€ but here you go ig "a person who has an excessive interest in or admiration of themselves."
Not at all. Just wanted to ascertain as to which of the two you were thinking of. Now, is your hypotheses that Somalis could be diagnosed with the personality disorder with the following symptoms, according to Mayo Clinic:?

Symptoms of narcissistic personality disorder:
  • Have an unreasonably high sense of self-importance and require constant, excessive admiration.
  • Feel that they deserve privileges and special treatment.
  • Expect to be recognized as superior even without achievements.
  • Make achievements and talents seem bigger than they are.
  • Be preoccupied with fantasies about success, power, brilliance, beauty or the perfect mate.
  • Believe they are superior to others and can only spend time with or be understood by equally special people.
  • Be critical of and look down on people they feel are not important.
  • Expect special favors and expect other people to do what they want without questioning them.
  • Take advantage of others to get what they want.
  • Have an inability or unwillingness to recognize the needs and feelings of others.
  • Be envious of others and believe others envy them.
  • Behave in an arrogant way, brag a lot and come across as conceited.
  • Insist on having the best of everything β€” for instance, the best car or office.
At the same time, people with narcissistic personality disorder have trouble handling anything they view as criticism. They can:

• Become impatient or angry when they don't receive special recognition or treatment.
  • Have major problems interacting with others and easily feel slighted.
  • React with rage or contempt and try to belittle other people to make themselves appear superior.
  • Have difficulty managing their emotions and behavior.
  • Experience major problems dealing with stress and adapting to change.
  • Withdraw from or avoid situations in which they might fail.
  • Feel depressed and moody because they fall short of perfection.
  • Have secret feelings of insecurity, shame, humiliation and fear of being exposed as a failure.

Not at all. Just wanted to ascertain as to which of the two you were thinking of. Now, is your hypotheses that Somalis could be diagnosed with the personality disorder with the following symptoms, according to Mayo Clinic:?

Symptoms of narcissistic personality disorder:
  • Have an unreasonably high sense of self-importance and require constant, excessive admiration.
  • Feel that they deserve privileges and special treatment.
  • Expect to be recognized as superior even without achievements.
  • Make achievements and talents seem bigger than they are.
  • Be preoccupied with fantasies about success, power, brilliance, beauty or the perfect mate.
  • Believe they are superior to others and can only spend time with or be understood by equally special people.
  • Be critical of and look down on people they feel are not important.
  • Expect special favors and expect other people to do what they want without questioning them.
  • Take advantage of others to get what they want.
  • Have an inability or unwillingness to recognize the needs and feelings of others.
  • Be envious of others and believe others envy them.
  • Behave in an arrogant way, brag a lot and come across as conceited.
  • Insist on having the best of everything β€” for instance, the best car or office.
At the same time, people with narcissistic personality disorder have trouble handling anything they view as criticism. They can:

• Become impatient or angry when they don't receive special recognition or treatment.
  • Have major problems interacting with others and easily feel slighted.
  • React with rage or contempt and try to belittle other people to make themselves appear superior.
  • Have difficulty managing their emotions and behavior.
  • Experience major problems dealing with stress and adapting to change.
  • Withdraw from or avoid situations in which they might fail.
  • Feel depressed and moody because they fall short of perfection.
  • Have secret feelings of insecurity, shame, humiliation and fear of being exposed as a failure.
Yes pretty much. and I know it’s not good to generalise but I’m speaking from my own experience most Somalis I’ve met are like this. And you could just say they are proud people but for me it just seem like they like gloating and making them selves seem better then they really are. I just think somalis have more narcissistic tendencies compared to other cultures. Sorry I’m not too good at articulating myself

Yes pretty much. and I know it’s not good to generalise but I’m speaking from my own experience most Somalis I’ve met are like this. And you could just say they are proud people but for me it just seem like they like gloating and making them selves seem better then they really are. I just think somalis have more narcissistic tendencies compared to other cultures. Sorry I’m not too good at articulating myself
That is good. No specifics, but could you give anecdotal examples?

Would you say someone with 'han', and 'qab' is, could be described a narcissist? If so, could you think of a nation, or a people, who lack those traits? And what would we call those people, who lack those traits?

Last edited:
And I don’t know.. if you look at our behaviour online like TikTok it just puts us in a bad light. Either the Somali people there are fighting over qabil trying to prove that their own qabil is better or fighting other ethnic groups for example calling β€œMadows” inferior. if we are like this on a bigger scale and I’ve also seen these narcissistic behaviours on a smaller scale with the somalis around me, it makes me think that we are more narcissistic then other groups of people.