#MyCultureIsNotCouture

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bielsa

Free Wi-Fi > Free Palestine
VIP
Can someone explain to me what's inherently wrong with "culture appropiation" ? Everyone does it. People have been copying each other since forever.

If I love Thai martial arts, and I master the art and teach it to other Somalis, are we culture appropiating Thai culture? :dwill:

I get it when cadaan people want to steal shit and claim it as their own or when they want to spread negative stereotypes with other people's culture, but that's different from Iggy Azealas wanting to rap in a Texan accent and have a big booty. Or if Kylie Jenner wants braids and cornrows. Or if a white girl wants henna on her body.

#MyCultureIsNotCouture

Dude thats the logic people use lol. Thats why Kylie Jenner was getting so much shit.

Okay, so dominant culture doesn't want to say/promote/propagate black is beautiful but they do want to fetishize black features on white bodies. Kylie Jenner bought her body piece by piece from her lips to her ass, and she is somehow the paragon of beauty? You have to understand that at least a little.

As for clothing and accessories that's just capitalism :umwhat:

Figo

|Garowe|Jalam|Galkacyo|
VIP
:damnmusic::deadmanny:Yesterday Charlemagne Tha God put this white rapper named Post Malone on the spot lmao he was taking shots at him every chance he got. At one point I kinda felt sorry for the white boy lmao. Btw I'm glad that annoying hoe Iggy ain't on the spotlight anymore.

Bielsa

Free Wi-Fi > Free Palestine
VIP
Charlemagne is a first class troll. I sometimes listen to his podcast with white boy Andrew Shultz and Shultz is okay when not talking about black issues. Charlemagne comes across with as chip on his shoulder.

Never liked Iggy either tbh but always thought the criticism she got was peculiar.

Duchess

HRH Duchess of Puntland, The Viscount of Garoowe
VIP
I think it's a glass half-full vs half-empty kind of thing. It all comes down to your perspective on life. If you're a depressed fvck who loves being a victim, then everything is 'cultural appropriation' to you. On the other side of the spectrum you have those who can differentiate cultural exchange and appreciation from cultural appropriation and are more focused on the action/behavior rather than the racial background of the individual.

If Kylies cornrows are 'problematic', what about black women like Nicki Minaj who do everything in their power to look less black ? :umwhat: She wears blonde weaves & wigs, has had plastic surgery including a nose job and bleaches to look more Caucasian. No one calls her out though BECAUSE she's black. Instead they make excuses for her self-hate by blaming white people! That's the problem with this dumb label, black people can get away with everything, but whites get grilled for braiding their hair. :camby:

Last edited:
I think it's a glass half-full vs half-empty kind of thing. It all comes down to your perspective on life. If you're a depressed fvck who loves being a victim, then everything is 'cultural appropriation' to you. On the other side of the spectrum you have those who can differentiate cultural exchange and appreciation from cultural appropriation and are more focused on the action/behavior rather than the racial background of the individual.

If Kylies cornrows are 'problematic', what about black women like Nicki Minaj who do everything in their power to look less black ? :umwhat: She wears blonde weaves & wigs, has had plastic surgery including a nose job and bleaches to look more Caucasian. No one calls her out though BECAUSE she's black. Instead they make excuses for her self-hate by blaming white people! That's the problem with this dumb label, black people can get away with everything, but whites get grilled for braiding their hair. :camby:

Taking on a heavy weight? Leh go!

osroy.gif

Cultural appropriation is a one way street, the oppressor stealing from the oppressed. The Washington Redskins, Cinco de Mayo, hell, even Niiko are prime examples of cultural appropriation. Oppressed cultures are powerless to deny the theft of their likeness/traditions/essence -- in a diluted fashion nonetheless-- while simultaneously being discriminated against and considered undesirable by the dominant culture.

Also, have some compassion for African Americans/Afro Caribbeans/Afro South Americans. For all of the modern era they've been subjugated, their culture is not organic but born from the cruelest of laboratories. You're just being heartless and, to be frank, ignorant.

Duchess

VIP

osroy.gif

Cultural appropriation is a one way street, the oppressor stealing from the oppressed. The Washington Redskins, Cinco de Mayo, hell, even Niiko are prime examples of cultural appropriation. Oppressed cultures are powerless to deny the theft of their likeness/traditions/essence -- in a diluted fashion nonetheless-- while simultaneously being discriminated against and considered undesirable by the dominant culture.

Also, have some compassion for African Americans/Afro Caribbeans/Afro South Americans. For all of the modern era they've been subjugated, their culture is not organic but born from the cruelest of laboratories. You're just being heartless and, to be frank, ignorant.

You're a SJW?:dwill: :damn:

For me to buy into your narrative and follow the premise of your argument, I would have to relish victimhood. Can't do that, sorry. :francis:

Nicki Minaj can shake her silicone booty from here to Narnia and, even though she's perpetuating stereotypes of Black women, it's all good but when Madame Tussauds makes a wax figure of her twerking SJWs scream 'racism'. Nope, not buying it.

Ay girl, don't you try and dismiss me like that lol

What I don't understand is this catch all phrase of "victimhood narrative." A lot of this is subconscious behavior, no one wakes up and says "because of whitey this is how I will act." The weeds of learned, socialized behavior cannot be easily uprooted. The Black Panthers were an amazing positive force for the black community but they were maliciously targeted by the US government. This isn't boogeyman shit, this is reality, this is history.

In fact, to put it in Somalicentric terms, we like to joke about Hutus and Mooryans ruining Somalia, when in reality it is US policy in the region that has relegated Somalia to an AMISOM controlled territory. It's not about a victim narrative, it is about understanding your position in totality and relating to the dominant culture that their fun and carefree appropriation can be insensitive.

:damnmusic::deadmanny:Yesterday Charlemagne Tha God put this white rapper named Post Malone on the spot lmao he was taking shots at him every chance he got. At one point I kinda felt sorry for the white boy lmao. Btw I'm glad that annoying hoe Iggy ain't on the spotlight anymore.

Damn. I'm watching that right now. He did him dirty, no respect for Charlemagne. "What're you doing for the #BlackLives movement?":gunsmiley::hemad::deadmanny:

Duchess

VIP
My nigga Saciid, I get what you're saying but you have to admit that some people view the world through the lens of victimhood. Their worldview is that of the oppressed vs the oppressor and they refuse to acknowledge that such a dynamic is not present in every situation. For example, this whole business of microaggressions or the assumption that every white person, including 'allies', are inherently racist. It's victimhood at its finest.

I'm not saying white privilege doesn't exist or that we live in a post-racial world, what I'm saying is that most SJW have not experienced any real racism, are privileged themselves and absolutely relish victimhood.

It's possible for white people to appreciate a culture without appropriating it and it's possible for black people / POC to be guilty of cultural appropriation. Race should not be the determining factor , the action itself should be. IMHO Rihanna was guilty of cultural appropriation when she went to the Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque in Dubai wearing a Hijab and did an impromptu photoshoot. It was disrespectful. Where were the SJW's to call her out on it? Barely anyone did, but when Lady Gaga wore a Burqa it was as if Dajjal had arrived. The double standards and hypocrisy needs to end. :comeon:

If you want to criticize twitter SJW's go right ahead, but let's just keep it at that. The Rihanna example is a perfect double standard. But when you attack the ideology and the terminology they espouse, pointing out the hypocrisy isn't as impactful and you come off as someone not sympathetic to real issues (whether it's true or not.)

@Saciid
D528761E901124975145673441280_2e354298f6e.5.1.jpg

osroy.gif

Did you redefine cultural appropiation to fit your I wanna claim victimhood fad?:cryinglaughsmiley: Did you forget about migration,interaction and trade. as well as the fact that you are raising a double standard. Madows cannot be cultural appropiators? but only cadaans can?

Deny theft? Everyone stole the culture of cadaan people, you eat their food as normal, wear their clothes like its normal.
Everything about cadaan culture is appropiated and has become ownership of everyone elses.

Soo can Terrorist only be arab by ur logic?

By the way explain to me how cultures are oppressed and what cultures are oppressed

Lool Saciid, so basically let em off the hook and give them excuses because they are miskeen martyrs? Amazing That you would want to lower their standards like that.

If our indifference to their situation make us cruel, then what would you call the Madow man's indifference to his own situation?:ufdup:

Q

Queen Carawelo

I am sick of black people botching about everything. They're the most racist people on earth. They like to dish it but can't take it. As far as I am concerned as an AFRICAN, braiding hair is my culture, therefore BLACKS are appropriating my culture. They want to distant themselves from Africa but they want to take my culture and about it. FOH. I can't respect anyone who capes for AAs.

Figo

|Garowe|Jalam|Galkacyo|
VIP
Damn. I'm watching that right now. He did him dirty, no respect for Charlemagne. "What're you doing for the #BlackLives movement?":gunsmiley::hemad::deadmanny:
Bruh Charlemagne is kalab he was even making fun of his dad.:damn:He slaughtered that white boy nigga probably went home and cried.:mjlaugh:

If you want to criticize twitter SJW's go right ahead, but let's just keep it at that. The Rihanna example is a perfect double standard. But when you attack the ideology and the terminology they espouse, pointing out the hypocrisy isn't as impactful and you come off as someone not sympathetic to real issues (whether it's true or not.)

@Saciid
D528761E901124975145673441280_2e354298f6e.5.1.jpg

Sympathetic about what real issues exactly? that is soo sad! when you guys see your own bulshitt you ask for sympathy

Saciid, We already exposed your bullshit hypocrisy of SJWS on somnet

Now you are trying to push double standards and try to use SJW tactic of demonizing people, rather than refute their arguments

Saaxiib attack the message not the messenger.

8b1.jpg

SJW LOGIC!! Dont show hypocrisy , Be sympathetic to gay and black people i beg you
:cryinglaughsmiley:

Q

Queen Carawelo

I lost respect for charmacoon when he made lil mama cry. He kept taunting her and he wouldn't stop. I get angry just remembering that interview.

The way he asskissed jayz was nauseating. I couldn't even finish the interview.

But I've to admit, he makes the interviews. Without him, it's boring, Angela lee is boring and envy is also boring.

I want Drake to be interviewed, imagine all the asskissing char will do just because papi sent him 6 bottles. Lool

Status
Not open for further replies.