My hooyo's Ancestry DNA test are in and the results is shocking

Apollo

VIP
Is autosomally maternal dna?

What about Arab Salah paternal background? Are they Meheri Arabs or confused Somalis?

I used to think it was just one Yemenite male who moved over to Somalia and the rest of their ancestry is all Somali. But not sure how representative of CS' the OP is.

I used to think it was just one Yemenite male who moved over to Somalia and the rest of their ancestry is all Somali. But not sure how representative of CS' the OP is.
I think that it wasn't just a one time thing with Yemeni males. They probably hopped off our coasts once in a while and in time they mixed with some of our clans.

Perhaps

I think that it wasn't just a one time thing with Yemeni males. They probably hopped off our coasts once in a while and in time they mixed with some of our clans.

If Sultan Keenadiid brought Yemeni musketeers over and they stayed, we could have more Somalised Yemenis than we had previously thought!

@Abdi613

Check if your mother is regular Arab Salah or if her ancestor joined Sultan Keenadiid, if he joined the Sultan from Hadramaut, that was quite recent and it would explain the high Arab percentage.

Right? @Apollo

Last edited:
Although Somalis have ME in their results on ancestry, it’s not as high for a typical Somali. My husband whose 4th grandfather is from Yemen got a similar percentage of Middle East. Does your mom have any benadiri/reer xameer relatives? Sometimes they have higher Middle East too.

I would suggest a male relative of your mothers like a brother or ader(someone that shares a paternal/father line with her) take a test on 23andme. This will give a clearer break down and maternal & paternal hablogroup.

My Hooyo always says that her ancestors are from Yemen. I disagreed with her and mentioned that some Somali tribes claim the same thing. BTW she's Arab Salah/ Arab Mohamoud Salah. Long story short, I suggested her to do the Ancestry DNA Test. To my surprise she agreed to that. So when the results came in I was really surprised by the fact that she was only 16% East African. View attachment 77753 View attachment 77753

That’s pretty Intriguing. My husbands father had similar results and his 4th grandfather came from Yemen. He said they are another tribe not Arab salah. We are dhulbahante and recently found we have a J hablogroup that is connected to the khawlan tribe of Yemen/Saudi. Pretty crazy stuff. I’m wondering if your mom connected to my husband or my family lol? We took ancestry dna, 23andme, and ydna on fam tree, and the big Y. I need to upload our stuff to Yfull.

Trending