Mustafe Cagjar and Shemlis Abdisa agree to solve border issues

Mustafe Cagjar and Shemlis Abdisa met in Jigjiga at the end of last month and in the middle of this month in Dir Dhaba to improve relations between the two regional states, with a focus on security and development.

One of the main purpose of the Dir Dhaba meeting was to solve border issues. It appears to have been a 'fruitful' meeting, that ended with some form of agreement regarding how to move forward with main points of contentions.

The main points were:
  • A 'committee' will be set up to implement all decisions, with representatives from the border communities on a local level.
  • 'Demarcation' of the borders. Review the 2004 referendum results again, and make sure that each Kebele falls under correct jurisdiction (regional state) according to the results. If they are wrongly placed now, they'll be adjusted.
  • All displaced people will return to their home as soon as possible.
  • The planned dam in Marar will instead of being a fully Oromia project, turn into a joint project between DDS and Oromia. (To my understanding, both region will contribute to financing the project).
  • The border communities will be fairly represented in the administrations. Neither side of locals will be disfranchised.
  • Among other things such as integration of regions etc.
I have not heard about what parts of the border this will be implemented, if it includes all or just parts of it. The focus seemed to have been Faafan-East Hararghe zones (Jinacsani-Tuli Guleed to be specific), where most of the conflicts have been recently. I've personally seen gudoomiyaha Jinacsani and Tuli Guleed present there.

I've yet to see a see similar agreement between the two regional states for years. Hopefully this one leads to progress regarding border issues.

Skärmavbild 2023-04-22 kl. 20.01.21.png
341695311_3425117827732162_5197771357911401841_n.jpg
341260280_746704793796509_2381350263511033989_n.jpg
341192575_949239136093598_1049666094708249491_n.jpg
Kan vara en bild av 7 personer
Kan vara en bild av 5 personer
Kan vara en bild av 4 personer och podium
Kan vara en bild av 7 personer

Demarcation of the borders will be the best outcome of this meeting. The sooner this gets done, the better; as we no longer have to deal with the encroaching Oromia state. Hopefully a mechanism will be set up to deal with any overstepping of boundaries (in the future).

The current and previous uncertain & unclear borders as well as instability have benefitted them. Once the borders are settled, it will pave the road to adjust the current maps which does not reflect the actual borders. Thereby recognized by the federal gov't as well.

Even though this resolution may not be ideal in its entirety; if Cagjar manages to deliver and turn these resolutions into concrete actions, he will be gain respect of the locals for his efforts. It will be a tremendous reliefs to the uncertainty, and solve the root causes of most of the conflicts.

Garaad diinle

 
I wanna say "finally some good news" but i don't trust the guy. Will just have to wait and see. It almost feels like yet another referendum is on it's way where he is planning to take over some new lands. This comes at a time where liyu police are being reformed into normal reginal police force rather than a reginal army, very interesting.

I wanna say "finally some good news" but i don't trust the guy. Will just have to wait and see. It almost feels like yet another referendum is on it's way where he is planning to take over some new lands. This comes at a time where liyu police are being reformed into normal reginal police force rather than a reginal army, very interesting.

Agreed. We've heard promises before, and most of them undelivered. But we have to see what their plans are.

For instance, one of the main concerns, remains the dam building. A few days prior to the meeting in Dir Dhaba, the cabinet of the Somali reg'l gov't 'announced' that the building will resume, but DDS authorities will 'review the impact it will have on us'. Very vague.

The meeting then concluded that a collaboration of the project will be established. Though, mostly focused on the construction of the dam, which they then will ensure that both regions will 'benefit' from it. But to what extent? Will Oromia have the upper hand once the dam is done? Who will 'own' it, and how will it be split? I've yet to hear more about specific details. As of now, Oromia already have the full permission by the federal gov't, as they are jointly financing it.

After all, the water body is the one that runs throughout the region, and provide 3/4 of the water sources for the Somali region’s inhabitants. And not just crucial to the locals, but the entire region. Not to forget how it's located at one of the main exist roads of Jigjiga.
Just like you, I therefore remain sceptical, as much as I want for it to succeed. :manny:

Last edited:
No i mean shemlis abdisa. Lately he's been naming new deegans that includes some parts of dds.

I don't think much can be done, to my dismay. It appears that those could continue, unless demarcations will be implemented throughout the *entire* DDS-Oromia borders.

This meeting was mainly focused on one zone of the borders. They could technically name new deegans/districts outside of Jinacsani-Tuli Guleed and extended areas.

Your worries are definitely valid, and I think they will occur in the future.

Last edited:

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
@GaradShabeel Im suprised DDS didn't lay down conditions that need to be met before federal army integrations such as.

1. Border issues
2. A Guaranteed model to ensure federal govt cannot use it's security against opposition politicians or regional expansion
3. A guranteed model to ensure their isn't a centralized collapse either from internal/external actors because it following a central authority model
4. How will quality be guaranteed if the federal military has no internal security competition

Plus their is suspicions that ABI is going to relocate most of the weaponry into his region, copying n pasting meles zenawi legacy, I doubt he has anything 'new or creative' other then copy n paste

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
@GaradShabeel im suprised with this 'bila shurud' mind-set of DDS, u r following in SL spirit. U shouldn't negiotate without conditions being met. The conditions u set must support the DDS people long-term interest and survival

@GaradShabeel Im suprised DDS didn't lay down conditions that need to be met before federal army integrations such as.

1. Border issues
2. A Guaranteed model to ensure federal govt cannot use it's security against opposition politicians or regional expansion
3. A guranteed model to ensure their isn't a centralized collapse either from internal/external actors because it following a central authority model
4. How will quality be guaranteed if the federal military has no internal security competition

Plus their is suspicions that ABI is going to relocate most of the weaponry into his region, copying n pasting meles zenawi legacy, I doubt he has anything 'new or creative' other then copy n paste
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

@GaradShabeel im suprised with this 'bila shurud' mind-set of DDS, u r following in SL spirit. U shouldn't negiotate without conditions being met. The conditions u set must support the DDS people long-term interest and survival

I'm afraid that we might be move into that direction. The only way to make sure our continued survival is by installing a new reg'l gov't as soon as possible.

I've seen ONLF and other opposition parties regularly discuss the valid issues you're bringing forward. They only problem is that they are practically voiceless.

In the last election, due to voting irregularities, voter registration process fraud, and allegations of premeditated voting results by PP. And the national election board continuing with the fraudulent process; all opposition parties decided to boycott the elections. Hence, why all 20 federal MPs in HoPR belonging to prosperity party. And decreases the likelihood of addressing core issues in a space, where it can possibly bring any changes.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

I've said it before. Becoming independent was/is our goal, but the reality is that we're going to be part of Ethiopia for the foreseeable future, and thus look for likeminded people to work with, and achieve our agenda(s).

Our best hope would be a Somali-Oromo alliance, where we are main ethnic groups bearing the fruits of it. But Oromo political elites doesn't seem interested, and prefer a working within the current establishment.

I'm afraid that Oromos will not have problem with Abiy and his regime, as long as they get something from it. The recent tumultuous time have proven it. First time in recent modern Ethiopia, with no 'real' Oromo opposition figure.

The second main opposition party in DDS is FEP party. A federalist and nation-wide party, with an Oromo chairman and Somali deputy-chairman. The main objective of theirs, appeears to be to stand up against PP's dismantling of the constitutionally given regional and civil rights.

Overall, they seem much better than PP, but PP started out in a similar fashion. Personally, I'm sceptical of nation-wide parties. Though, FEP seem to have a close co-operation with ONLF, and created a 'de-facto' alliance as both of them want to achieve a free and fair elections ASAP.

Hamzza

VIP
Why do you say so?

My people will still benefit from the representation in Makanis and Jinacsani, with peace between warring sides being a bonus. The Marar project and, above all, the integration between the two regions..
Are you Jaarso? I thought you were Gadabursi

The local committee from the Oromo and Somali Regional States, Faafan & East Hararghe, Jinacsani & Tuli Guleed (between Geri & Jarso) met in Addis along federal representatives for mediations, ongoing for the past several weeks. Which they then followed up by further meetings in Adama with high Oromia gov't officials, as well arranged a meeting with locals in Jigjiga.