Muslims not Allowed to Break their Fast in Addis Abeba

I can tell you many christians too are angry at today’s event and are siding with our Muslim brothers.

Here is some background.
The Meskel square in Addis Ababa was traditionally owned by the Orthodox church. Meskel means cross and the place got its name from the yearly Orthodox Meskel festival that is always celebrated at that place for a century.

Due to the traditional ownership and the religious connection of the place to the place, no Muslin celebration was held at Maskel square as far as I can remember. Muslims traditionally held their events at the stadium not far away (<1km) from Meskel square.

But It seems for the first time Muslims wanted to hold Iftar at the traditional Meskel square but the Orthodox church protested and sent a letter to the Addis Ababa administration. The Muslims ignored the church and went with their Iftar anyway but were forced to leave the place by the police. In a city with more than 75% christian (according to the last census) and just one month away from election, the authorities seem to be nervous and sent the police to remove the Muslims from Meskel square. This of course understandably pissed the Muslims off and they protested and the police used tear gas to disperse the crowd. It was not a big protest and it seems it was quickly over and I don’t expect too much trouble.

But many christians and medias in Addis are also angry at the church and are siding with our Muslin brothers saying this Meskel square is a public place and no religion should claim sole ownership. Many residents are also angry at the authorities for send the police to stop a peaceful meal celebration. They are siding with the Muslin brothers saying they were not violent and were just celebrating Iftar peacefully. It seems the monopoly of Meskel square will not be held long as many Addis Ababans and the private media in the city are against public places being exclusively used by a religion institution. The Muslims are also winning huge sympathy for staying peaceful and asking their citizens rights.

It’s somehow weird that currently public street Iftars are being held all over the cities in the so called “conservative christian” Amhara region including Bahr Dar, while Muslims in the most liberal city of the nation are being refused to hold public Iftar at Meskel square.

Public Iftar in Dessie, Amhara region.

I can tell you many christians too are angry at today’s event and are siding with our Muslim brothers.

Here is some background.
The Meskel square in Addis Ababa was traditionally owned by the Orthodox church. Meskel means cross and the place got its name from the yearly Orthodox Meskel festival that is always celebrated at that place for a century.

Due to the traditional ownership and the religious connection of the place to the place, no Muslin celebration was held at Maskel square as far as I can remember. Muslims traditionally held their events at the stadium not far away (<1km) from Meskel square.

But It seems for the first time Muslims wanted to hold Iftar at the traditional Meskel square but the Orthodox church protested and sent a letter to the Addis Ababa administration. The Muslims ignored the church and went with their Iftar anyway but were forced to leave the place by the police. In a city with more than 75% christian (according to the last census) and just one month away from election, the authorities seem to be nervous and sent the police to remove the Muslims from Meskel square. This of course understandably pissed the Muslims off and they protested and the police used tear gas to disperse the crowd. It was not a big protest and it seems it was quickly over and I don’t expect too much trouble.

But many christians and medias in Addis are also angry at the church and are siding with our Muslin brothers saying this Meskel square is a public place and no religion should claim sole ownership. Many residents are also angry at the authorities for send the police to stop a peaceful meal celebration. They are siding with the Muslin brothers saying they were not violent and were just celebrating Iftar peacefully. It seems the monopoly of Meskel square will not be held long as many Addis Ababans and the private media in the city are against public places being exclusively used by a religion institution. The Muslims are also winning huge sympathy for staying peaceful and asking their citizens rights.

It’s somehow weird that currently public street Iftars are being held all over the cities in the so called “conservative christian” Amhara region including Bahr Dar, while Muslims in the most liberal city of the nation are being refused to hold public Iftar at Meskel square.

Public Iftar in Dessie, Amhara region.

amxaaro are getting very bold now. since when does the police just listen to random people and bring out teargas?

amxaaro are getting very bold now. since when does the police just listen to random people and bring out teargas?

Muslims are currently celebrating street Iftar all over Amhara cities including the capital Bahir Dar without any problems. And yet you still bame Amhara?

Warya xabashi it seems tplf trainned you well on damage control.

If only you told me what damage you’re talking about that would be helpful. As much as you hope that this thing may disintegrate Ethiopia and what not crap as usual this is not gonna anywhere. The Muslims in Addis are very smart and keep it always peaceful not to give the authorities a pretext to label them terrorist and also lose the sympathy they are getting now from the public. They are not emotional morons who go violent. That’s not gonna happen.

Muslims are currently celebrating street Iftar all over Amhara cities including the capital Bahir Dar without any problems. And yet you still bame Amhara?

They are amhara muslims and its their city.

Its not like somalis or oromos celebrating there.
Also why do you guys try to deny the existance of amhara muslims?

If only you told me what damage you’re talking about that would be helpful. As much as you hope that this thing may disintegrate Ethiopia and what not crap as usual this is not gonna anywhere. The Muslims in Addis are very smart and keep it always peaceful not to give the authorities a pretext to label them terrorist and also lose the sympathy they are getting now from the public. They are not emotional morons who go violent. That’s not gonna happen.
So who os emotional moron?
I dont see somalis raping tigrayan women or looting their cities.I dont see somalis destroying churches in axum.
Tell your folks to act smart and stop kiling minorities in Gumuz and Tigray.
The onlybpeople that will make Ethiopoa disintegrate is amhara intellectuals who think they have a right over others to dominate them and marginalise them this is not 1880s.
The reason you folks haye on Tigrayans was because the opened the eyes of the rest of Ethiopia.Some ethnic groups in Erhiopia 30 years ago would feel ashamed to claim to be konso or gumuz or even oromo and some had to adopt amharic culture and names to progress in life.

Regg

Stroking my Australinimo
I don’t know if the new generation still do this but Amharan and Tigray-Tigrinyan Orthodox Christians don’t eat or live next to Eritrean and Ethiopian Muslims, and are heavily segregated due to religious reasons. They’re very conservative and still hold strong animosity between each other.

I don’t know if the new generation still do this but Amharan and Tigray-Tigrinyan Orthodox Xtians don’t eat or live next to Eritrean and Ethiopian Muslims, and are heavily segregated due to religious reasons. They’re very conservative and still hold strong animosity between each other.
What are you talking about.
Orthodox amhara christians do despise orthodox tigrayan christians.
Xabashi would kill his fellow orthodox tograyan because he wants the christendom world to only support amhara supremacy.So To an amhara orthodox an oromo orthodox or tigrayan orthodox is a threat to their survival in the world of hustling for world attention.