Modernizing The Somali language

Amazonian

Cirka Gacan Saarte 💪🏾🇸🇴
I believe it's time to change how we behave as people. Unfortunately that can only happen if we change how we view and describe things. Many folks coming from all different parts of world feel uncomfortable when they find out the Somali word for their people. In fact its beyond derogatory.

Example.

My Philippino buddy once asked me what the Somali word for Asian was.

My response was, "Asiyaan"

But we all know that ain't the correct term. These words/descriptions
aren't limited to just one ethnic group.

We call black people, "Ja_reers" and so on. It's time the new generation comes along and expands the Somali language. Its up to you to change how your children view the world. Unfortunately for us, we view the world in our parents eyes. But we can change that depending on how we raise the up and coming generation.

Removed

Gif-King
VIP
Stop trying to bring your western values onto others these are the natural ways we say things nothing offensive about it.

Should spanish people change the word negro(black) just because what happened in America. You are not the center of the world try traveling you might like it.

Amazonian

Cirka Gacan Saarte 💪🏾🇸🇴
Stop trying to bring your western values onto others these are the natural ways we say things nothing offensive about it.

Should spanish people change the word negro(black) just because what happened in America. You are not the center of the world try traveling you might like it.
Calm them jiggly titties sxb
Nin ragaad tahaye

Removed

Gif-King
VIP
The only expansion the Somali language needs is removing these arabic words and teaching the Somali variants its almost like the language used in Gabays are a different language then whats used today.

Octavian

Hmm
VIP
bruuh jæreer refers to a type of hair and indoyaar means small eyes these words are discribing a parts of the body nothing wrong with them. Lool whats next can't say caadan cuz its refering to skin color? honestly u americans sencetive ass hell :drakelaugh:

Amazonian

Cirka Gacan Saarte 💪🏾🇸🇴
The only expansion the Somali language needs is removing these arabic words and teaching the Somali variants its almost like the language used in Gabays are a different language then whats used today.
I'm all for discontinuing Arabic words and phrases within the Somali language.

I also believe we should use more formal descriptions when speaking about individuals visiting our country.

Octavian

Hmm
VIP
true there plenty of words in somali that most people don't know about that needs to be brought back in to everyday use and we should make words and phrases for the things that don1t have that in our language

Amazonian

Cirka Gacan Saarte 💪🏾🇸🇴
bruuh jæreer refers to a type of hair and indoyaar means small eyes these words are discribing a parts of the body nothing wrong with them. Lool whats next can't say caadan cuz its refering to skin color? honestly u americans sencetive ass hell :drakelaugh:

Geeljire might be how your folks describe you.
But I'm sure you dont wanna hear that wherever you go. Modernizing the language is a good thing.

Octavian

Hmm
VIP
I'm all for discontinuing Arabic words and phrases within the Somali language.

I also believe we should use more formal descriptions when speaking about individuals visiting our country.
guud idea its like in french where u have the words for hi salute and bonjour the first one is used to adres to friends while the second is used to adress elders

Octavian

Hmm
VIP
Geeljire might be how your folks describe you.
But I'm sure you dont wanna hear that wherever you go. Modernizing the language is a good thing.
depends on what u mean by modernizing if u mean creating words and phrases to describe things and consepts that don't have that in af somali then yes go for it. But if u mean censor words like jæreer and others like it then u aren't modernizing shit ur just applying american logic to this issue they are the ones who have a problem with the N word since their country was built on the backs of slaves.

Octavian

Hmm
VIP
the words u used to as examples aren't racist connotations they are describing a physical characteristic like the type of hair or eyes nothing wrong that remember just bc niggas on twitter used it as a racial slur doesn't make the make the word racist and also nobody outside of sspot has ever called me geeljire remember the world doesn't revolove around america or twitter ;)

Amazonian

Cirka Gacan Saarte 💪🏾🇸🇴
depends on what u mean by modernizing if u mean creating words and phrases to describe things and consepts that don't have that in af somali then yes go for it. But if u mean censor words like jæreer and others like it then u aren't modernizing shit ur just applying american logic to this issue they are the ones who have a problem with the N word since their country was built on the backs of slaves.

By modernizing I mean Inventing new words in Somali to describe certain things that may have been derogatory from the get go

Modernizing words like indha-yar and ja-reer

Bringing forth a new era in which we use Somali words for everything. There are a lot of English, Arabic and Italian words in the Somali language. Some of the words we use today have replaced an already indigenous Somali word. A pure vivid example would be, we used to have Somali words to describe the days of the week. But unfortunately as of today we use Arabic words when counting off the days.

It's time to reorganize the Somali language so our children can pass it on.

Amazonian

Cirka Gacan Saarte 💪🏾🇸🇴
the words u used to as examples aren't racist connotations they are describing a physical characteristic like the type of hair or eyes nothing wrong that remember just bc niggas on twitter used it as a racial slur doesn't make the make the word racist and also nobody outside of sspot has ever called me geeljire remember the world doesn't revolove around america or twitter ;)

Of course we dont use these words to hurt people, rather we're a very descriptive people.
When you and I hear it, it may not have any effect on us. But that's not the case when you're the individual being described.

Octavian

Hmm
VIP
Of course we dont use these words to hurt people, rather we're a very descriptive people.
When you and I hear it, it may not have any effect on us. But that's not the case when you're being the one described.
i see what u mean u want to create words that describe other groups of people that sound less descriptive since it can come off as racist to those that don't get the context behind the words that we currently use to describe other ethnicities interesting

Amazonian

Cirka Gacan Saarte 💪🏾🇸🇴
i see what u mean u want to create words that describe other groups of people that sound less descriptive since it can come off as racist to those that don't get the context behind the words that we currently use to describe other ethnicities interesting

Absolutely.

Amazonian

Cirka Gacan Saarte 💪🏾🇸🇴
An example of a Somali police report

"Nin Ja-reer ah ayaa madaxa laga daqray
Waxaan soo xirnay nin indhayar ah ee dhibkaa geystey-"

Translation: "We arrested a ch*nk who injured a nappy headed fella"

That may sound funny to us.
But others folks would be applaud.

Sabu

Carpe diem cras.

This . what's the difference of labelling someone "black" after their skin complexion and calling some "indhyar" cause of their small eyes?

:damedamn:

repo

Bantu Liberation Movement
VIP
They are used negatively, there are many English words that are archaic or offensive now for example negro.

Trending