Men standing outside the Somali Mall

Ever since I was a child I've been going to the Somali Mall(24) in Minneapolis since my mom has a business there with my aunt, and every single time I go there's old men just standing around with cups of shah.

The only time I don't see them standing around the street outside the mall is during prayer time.

I've always wondered what these men talk about. Qabiil? Politics? Family? I don't really know.

Apparently there's "khat trucks" that disguise Khat by putting in a to go cups for shah, which makes sense.

I really just want to sit down with them and hear about their life stories and hear what they talk about all day. Old somali people always have the best stories

Ever since I was a child I've been going to the Somali Mall(24) in Minneapolis since my mom has a business there with my aunt, and every single time I go there's old men just standing around with cups of shah.

The only time I don't see them standing around the street outside the mall is during prayer time.

I've always wondered what these men talk about. Qabiil? Politics? Family? I don't really know.

Apparently there's "khat trucks" that disguise Khat by putting in a to go cups for shah, which makes sense.

I really just want to sit down with them and hear about their life stories and hear what they talk about all day. Old somali people always have the best stories

I truly believe its in our genes to loiter outside and sheeko. Like I do it and enjoy it. Its innate in somalis

Boqorada

F*ck Your Feelings
What garlic is to vampires is what spending time at home with their family is to these old guys. Quarantine is hell for them. Talking siyasaad, qabiil and who married who takes priority (one cab driver in particular seemed to be obsession with a young girl from the neighbourhood that married a scottish guy and gossiped about her in mosques and to an somali he picked up apparently) These men are weirdos and have no life.

Basra

LOVE is a product of Doqoniimo mixed with lust
Let Them Eat Cake
VIP

You are a girl Naaa Xiishood doqoontiiyeeey

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP

My aabo would take me to Somali oday cafes. He was usually among the biggest spenders at these cafes. The guy who paid for lots of people's coffees and got many adeers paying their respects and coming to us or our table so I have been privy to much of their talk. It varies. Lots of politics, current events, bit of gossip, FKD and good old conspiracy theories. Somalis, both men and women, are gifted with conspiracy theories. Surreal to observe. Mostly I just shake my head at these odays and wonder why they're not at home with their wives and children.

Basra

Let Them Eat Cake
VIP
My aabo would take me to Somali oday cafes. He was usually among the biggest spenders at these cafes. The guy who paid for lots of people's coffees and got many adeers paying their respects and coming to us or our table so I have been privy to much of their talk. It varies. Lots of politics, current events, bit of gossip, FKD and good old conspiracy theories. Somalis, both men and women, are gifted with conspiracy theories. Surreal to observe. Mostly I just shake my head at these odays and wonder why they're not at home with their wives and children.

@Shimbiris Your sense of self is a bit perplexing. HA HA HA HA HA HA

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
I can't describe it. Its like you are a Habar awal & A dhulbahante in the same token. Eedo confused lol

Hmmm. The Isaaq in me is Habar Yoonis via my paternal grandmother's hooyo and I have every Harti tribe in me except Dhulo. Probably in there but not known to me. Aabo's line is Dishiishe but they married Warsangali women for generations. Awoowo's hooyo is Warsan as is my paternal ayeeyo's paternal line. And my hooyo is paternally MJ on both sides with her maternal lines being Mareexaan on the dad's side and Macalin Weyn (Raxanweyn) on the mom's side. So you're off, eedo. Your qabiil sense is failing you.

Basra

Let Them Eat Cake
VIP
Hmmm. The Isaaq in me is Habar Yoonis via my paternal grandmother's hooyo and I have every Harti tribe in me except Dhulo. Probably in there but not known to me. Aabo's line is Dishiishe but they married Warsangali women for generations. Awoowo's hooyo is Warsan as is my paternal ayeeyo's paternal line. And my hooyo is paternally MJ on both sides with her maternal lines being Mareexaan on the dad's side and Macalin Weyn (Raxanweyn) on the mom's side. So you're off, eedo. Your qabiil sense is failing you.

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

Again, your sense of self perplexes me, Maybe it is the way you formulate words, which is exactly copy of how you speak. There is no distinction. loool

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP

What's most uncomfortable is when these adeers and abtis start trying to market their daughters to me. I had one just randomly start mentioning that she's a straight A med student then a few minutes later he hands me his phone and I'm staring at her grades (he wasn't joking; just one B for a course I can't remember) and then he takes the phone back and shows me a picture of her and tells me she's a nice girl and all this. He was very polite about it all but it was just surreal that he was just marketing his daughter over coffee.

Basra

Let Them Eat Cake
VIP
What's most uncomfortable is when these adeers and abtis start trying to market their daughters to me. I had one just randomly start mentioning that she's a straight A med student then a few minutes later he hands me his phone and I'm staring at her grades (he wasn't joking; just one B for a course I can't remember) and then he takes the phone back and shows me a picture of her and tells me she's a nice girl and all this. He was very polite about it all but it was just surreal that he was just marketing his daughter over coffee.

He is a proud papa dhee....nothing wrong with that lol

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
He is a proud papa dhee....nothing wrong with that lol

He had every intention of marrying her off with me and that's what just got me. Before this my dad laid the groundwork for him and said stuff like "This is my friend. Good family. He does so and so... If you like his daughter maybe something will come of it but it doesn't have to...". I mean goddamn I just came here to have some shah with my aabo and now we're discussing marriage prospects?

:pachah1:

He was Dhulo, by the way. So maybe that's what your senses picked up. An alternate timeline where my children's hooyo is Dhulo.

Basra

Let Them Eat Cake
VIP
He had every intention of marrying her off with me and that's what just got me. Before this my dad laid the groundwork for him and said stuff like "This is my friend. Good family. He does so and so... If you like his daughter maybe something will come of it but it doesn't have to...". I mean goddamn I just came here to have some shah with my aabo and now we're discussing marriage prospects?

:pachah1:

He was Dhulo, by the way. So maybe that's what your senses picked up. An alternate timeline where my children's hooyo is Dhulo.

1627493822258.png

Omg that is not even the worst go check out the Starbucks by Augsburg university those Somali old men have turned into their own coffee shop brought their chairs to sit outside, trashed the bathrooms cause they wash in their, have no concept of tipping or saying thank or excuse me I fled in terror, and embarrassment.

Omg that is not even the worst go check out the Starbucks by Augsburg university those Somali old men have turned into their own coffee shop brought their chairs to sit outside, trashed the bathrooms cause they wash in their, have no concept of tipping or saying thank or excuse me I fled in terror, and embarrassment.
That's not Starbucks that's Staarbakis

Last edited:

Trending