Medieval Muslim scholars from the Horn in Yemen and Red Sea.

Emir of Zayla

𝕹𝖆𝖙𝖎𝖔𝖓 𝖔𝖋 𝕻𝖔𝖊𝖙𝖘
Though I am puzzled why the author of this article thinks that that the Muslim dominions in the Horn were apart of Abyssinia, as clearly the Sultanates and the outside world didn’t think so, I think he’s stretching the term “Abyssinia” onto the whole region as he also talks about Somalis too.

Anyways, most of these scholars from the Horn had the nisba al-Zaylaʿī, as well as the nisba al-Jabartī showing that they were Somali and even some from Mogadishu, though quite a few were also called Al-Habasha which I’m assuming to be converts to Islam through our proselytization or they were already in Yemen during the times of Aksum. These scholars and their descendants also seem to have had political influence and power in Rasulid Yemen’s society. It’s an interesting read.

Last edited:

Qeelbax

East Africa UNUKA LEH
VIP
I wish the term Abyssinia wasn’t created. Everything that goes on in the Horn gets attributed to those Highlanders. Ethiopians don’t have to do anything, cadaans will claim they created the sky and the earth just to discredit us.

Emir of Zayla

𝕹𝖆𝖙𝖎𝖔𝖓 𝖔𝖋 𝕻𝖔𝖊𝖙𝖘
I wish the term Abyssinia wasn’t created. Everything that goes on in the Horn gets attributed to those Highlanders. Ethiopians don’t have to do anything, cadaans will claim they created the sky and the earth just to discredit us.
Most of the scholars in Yemen were Somali considering their common nisba being al-Zaylaʿī, as well as the nisba al-Jabartī. Though a few Ethiopians here and there but not nearly as much as us. Though this is only the author of the article using the term Abyssinia, the sources he provided go into greater detail and talk about Sultans of Ifat and Zeila and the people living there, I guess the author was just ignorant as the sources given don’t really talk about Abyssinia much.

Trending