maternal abtiris?

Nafiso Qalanjo

π–‚π–Š'π–—π–Š π–Œπ–”π–Žπ–“π–Œ 𝖙𝖔 π–œπ–†π–— π–‡π–†π–‡π–ž!
why do some clans have habar in the beginning of their name? Habar yonis, and Habar gidir a women?

Nafiso Qalanjo

π–‚π–Š'π–—π–Š π–Œπ–”π–Žπ–“π–Œ 𝖙𝖔 π–œπ–†π–— π–‡π–†π–‡π–ž!
Habar = children of in old Somali.

I don't know the origin story for the names of HY nor HJ however I do for HJ. The story goes that Sheikh Isaaq and his sons decided to migrate west. When Sheikh Isaaq requested the ancestor of HJ to come along he refused, instead, he decided to stay in Xiis Sanaag to aid his dying mother who died shortly afterwards.

As a result, his decedents are called Habar Jeclo, "the children who love" in reference to their ancestor's love for his mother. Possibly other clans with "habar" in their name have similar origin stories.

Aurelian

Forza Somalia!
VIP
Habar = children of in old Somali.

I don't know the origin story for the names of HY nor HJ however I do for HJ. The story goes that Sheikh Isaaq and his sons decided to migrate west. When Sheikh Isaaq requested the ancestor of HJ to come along he refused, instead, he decided to stay in Xiis Sanaag to aid his dying mother who died shortly afterwards.

As a result, his decedents are called Habar Jeclo, "the children who love" in reference to their ancestor's love for his mother. Possibly other clans with "habar" in their name have similar origin stories.
I thought because the father had many wives, and to distinguish between the offspring they used the mother name.

Apollo

VIP
How many generations do you guys know your maternal lineage?

I can count about 7 names and then I lose track (somewhere in the early 1800s).

Faahiye

Male Male Male Male
I thought because the father had many wives, and to distinguish between the offspring they used the mother name.
@Ebuo,

You're correct. Habar has the same meaning as bah so Habar Yoonis is bah aba yoonis - geri koombe and Habar gidir are bah gidir - karanle. As for habar jeclo their name has a different story.

Best,

Faahiye

Faahiye

Male Male Male Male
What's bah means?
@Ebuo,

It means the sons who share the same mother, this example should help to understand.
sultan nur selection 2.jpeg.jpg

Best,

Faahiye

Som

VIP
why do some clans have habar in the beginning of their name? Habar yonis, and Habar gidir a women?
I think it has something to do with the fact that many clan founders were polygamous.
There are many clans who have sub clans named " bah something" to indicate the subclans who originated from one of the many wives of their founder

Habar means mother or something, So the clans that use these maternal segment still abtiris to the father but use Habar to distinguish themselves from the other clans that also have the same father as them

Maybe

Arabsiyawi

HA Activist.
That's cheating. :lol:

I mean like knowing their names, potentially where they were born and clan affiliations. I know it up to the early 1800s.
Yeah lol, I can only name my grand mothers and great grand mothers on both sides. It’s really hard to keep up with all the names tbh

Trending

Latest posts