masjid recreational activities?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jake from State Farm

We pro xalimo all 2019
did the masjids that you guys went to a lot growing up as a child have stuff you could do besides listen to lectures, read the quran, and pray.

the two main masjids i have gone to were in two different parts of texas that are in the DFW area
One has had an indoor basketball court which is indoor for the past 5 years i believe, before that it had an outdoor basketball court. it even had a big field that was availble for the asians to play cricket. in irving texas.

the other masjid has had an outside court for a very long time. it built an outdoor court i believe around 2012. before that there were multiple hoop 10ft hoops in the parking lot. This was the one i mostly went to.

the second masjid i mentioned had a lot of somali youth that went there. in fact it was a major hang out spot for us on weekends. every saturday and sunday we would be at the masjid from 4PM to Isha. some kids were there earlier because they attended duqsi there.after isha we either went home or stayed for a little lecture than left.

parents would literally just drop the kids off at the masjid on the weekends, give them maybe like $5 just so they can go to the gas station, or the masjid store and buy some snacks for the day. times back then were pretty lit. play basketball, pray, listen to lectures, go home. simple times.

i would argue the recreational activies that were offered to the kids helped them stay away from joining gangs, and etc. its a pretty positive thing. of course we might have a few, but a majority turned out pretty well.

They should stay with their child there for at least part of the time instead of expecting them to be taken care of for so many hours. I see the other people doing this waiting for their child to finish class and having sports activities with fathers and sons vs drop off and go.

When I grew up we didn't have really have any recreational activity but now the kids have soccer teams and weekly youth night w/ Islamic jeopardy.

Jake from State Farm

We pro xalimo all 2019
They should stay with their child there for at least part of the time instead of expecting them to be taken care of for so many hours. I see the other people doing this waiting for their child to finish class and having sports activities with fathers and sons vs drop off and go.
Parents do that all the time at rec centers though. Some parents stayed for a minute or two to pray since a majority of kids were dropped off a few minutes before asr. Kids weren't causing no trouble or nothing.we just hooped, and chilled.

We used to wrestle in the masjid and do cartflips. An Emirati guy used to pester us saying we shouldn't play in the House of God. This is garbage. The Messenger of Allah used to wrestle in the masjid. I told the guy I would sit on his ugly face and let one rip flatulently just like his daughter sat on mine when I wrestled her on the bed.

These Gulf Arab goatfuckers wanna turn the mosque into a silent mausoleum. We told them to take a hike. The masjid should be a nursery, a classroom, a rec centre, a place to land a chunky xalimo or two, everything.

They ban kids from play fighting, which is Sunnah, and teach them to stick their nose into the anus of Saudi wadaads five times a day. No wonder young people don't attend.

I'm surprised you have basketball courts in your masjid. We had none of that fancy stuff when I was growing up. This generation has been spoiled. We had to improvise our own recreational activities. This consisted mostly of nasheeds, Somali poetry, and tajweed contests.

Best memory is when I saw a white convert reciting Surahtul Ibrahim in flawless tajweed. I said you've done well for yourself to have reached Surah Ibrahim so rapidly in your conversion. He said he was not a convert. He just liked the melody of the reciters. He started doing Gregorian chants too. "See? I'm an expert on liturgical rites." Warya, I'm in ESL class I told him. I don't know what liturgical means. Keep it simple.

So he told me he's doing academic research on Art and Religion. His theory is that religion uses art to draw people in through beautiful architecture, music, poetry, painting, calligraphy. If it was bare bones theology, it would not be so enticing. So that's why Gothic cathedrals and Aztec temples look so cool. Then he did a Sikh chant. Not gonna lie, that shit was beautiful. The Shaytan was whispering major gaalnimo in my ears. Inkaar kugu dacdhay gaalyahow uraayo I yelled. Get the f*ck outta here before you make a fuckin mushrik out of me.

I never knew gaals memorized books. I saw a piece in the Guardian about a guy who memorized Milton's Paradise Lost. Pretty impressive. There's a memory contest for all sorts nowadays, people memorizing the order of a pack of cards in thirty seconds, people committing impossibly long series of numbers to memory, all kinds of crazy things.​

Jake from State Farm

We pro xalimo all 2019
I'm surprised you have basketball courts in your masjid. We had none of that fancy stuff when I was growing up. This generation has been spoiled. We had to improvise our own recreational activities. This consisted mostly of nasheeds, Somali poetry, and tajweed contests.

Best memory is when I saw a white convert reciting Surahtul Ibrahim in flawless tajweed. I said you've done well for yourself to have reached Surah Ibrahim so rapidly in your conversion. He said he was not a convert. He just liked the melody of the reciters. He started doing Gregorian chants too. "See? I'm an expert on liturgical rites." Warya, I'm in ESL class I told him. I don't know what liturgical means. Keep it simple.

So he told me he's doing academic research on Art and Religion. His theory is that religion uses art to draw people in through beautiful architecture, music, poetry, painting, calligraphy. If it was bare bones theology, it would not be so enticing. So that's why Gothic cathedrals and Aztec temples look so cool. Then he did a Sikh chant. Not gonna lie, that shit was beautiful. The Shaytan was whispering major gaalnimo in my ears. Inkaar kugu dacdhay gaalyahow uraayo I yelled. Get the f*ck outta here before you make a fuckin mushrik out of me.

I never knew gaals memorized books. I saw a piece in the Guardian about a guy who memorized Milton's Paradise Lost. Pretty impressive. There's a memory contest for all sorts nowadays, people memorizing the order of a pack of cards in thirty seconds, people committing impossibly long series of numbers to memory, all kinds of crazy things.​
A few simple 10ft basketball hoops is all we had for the most part is what we had atleast during the years I frequented the mosque. Later on as I moved away from the area is when the actual court was made.we hooped in the parking lot. Since the masjid had two lots we played in the empty one On the weekends.
It really wasn't that fancy at all. A couple balls ,a hoop, and some space to play is all that would be needed honestly.

A few simple 10ft basketball hoops is all we had for the most part is what we had atleast during the years I frequented the mosque. Later on as I moved away from the area is when the actual court was made.we hooped in the parking lot. Since the masjid had two lots we played in the empty one On the weekends.
It really wasn't that fancy at all. A couple balls ,a hoop, and some space to play is all that would be needed honestly.
Spoiled rotten kid. Should have come to my duqsi in Xamar. We used to throw rocks at mentally ill people on the streets for kicks. We said they had jinni in them. And then their family used to chase us down through dusty alleyways bearing sticks and screaming hooyadiina wasa. You prayed to God you didn't slip and fall with those guys on your tail. It toughened you up. Made a soldier out of you. None of this wimpy nonsense you get from effeminate masjids today.

Jake from State Farm

We pro xalimo all 2019
@Bidaar Wanagsan hooping at the masjid was really popular with the Somali youth in particular. A lot of us would show up and just hoop there on the weekends.our masjid has a mixture of cultures so we had Asians and Somalis just hooping. The fact that we were able to play basketball really made going to the masjid fun.

It was a shock kind of when I visited my cousins in San Diego and found out they didn't really hang out at the masjid to hoop and stuff. Since their wasn't anything to do beside just pray and read the Quran there.

@Bidaar Wanagsan hooping at the masjid was really popular with the Somali youth in particular. A lot of us would show up and just hoop there on the weekends.our masjid has a mixture of cultures so we had Asians and Somalis just hooping. The fact that we were able to play basketball really made going to the masjid fun.

It was a shock kind of when I visited my cousins in San Diego and found out they didn't really hang out at the masjid to hoop and stuff. Since their wasn't anything to do beside just pray and read the Quran there.
Basketball is from the shaytan. Real men play tennis. Ball players are gangbangers and dealers.

tennis players have weak and fragile physiques . Basketball builds stronger physiques
Tennis is the rich man's game. You get quality xalimos who are tighter than a noose around a dead man's neck when they see that racquet in your hand and a head band on your glorious African bidaar. The only thing b-ball gives you is ghetto hoes with syphilis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending