Mashallah Somalia celebrates Mawliid

This is bid'ah plain and simple.... Nabi Muhhamad (pbuh) never sanctioned a celebration for his birthday
There’s a difference between scholars on whether the Mawlid is permissible or not and this is a minor issue of Fiqh, not something worth debating over. Many scholars believe it’s permissible (Imam Suyuti, Ibn Hajar al-asqalani, Ibn Abidin, etc) and the Mawlid has been a trend in the Muslim world (and continues to be although it slightly declined) for centuries until Salafi influence came and now people are debating it’s permissibility.

As Al Hafiz Ibn Hajar رَحِمَهُ الله states, celebrating the Mawlid with good actions is Bid’ah hasanah (good innovation).

BACE05AF-D521-4C55-99A2-018D166592E8.jpeg

There’s a difference between scholars on whether the Mawlid is permissible or not and this is a minor issue of Fiqh, not something worth debating over. Many scholars believe it’s permissible (Imam Suyuti, Ibn Hajar al-asqalani, Ibn Abidin, etc) and the Mawlid has been a trend in the Muslim world (and continues to be although it slightly declined) for centuries until Salafi influence came and now people are debating it’s permissibility.

As Al Hafiz Ibn Hajar رَحِمَهُ الله states, celebrating the Mawlid with good actions is Bid’ah hasanah (good innovation).

View attachment 206783
So the issue lays on what's considered celebration . The salafis consider the whole concept of mawlid bidah & that there is no good bidah.

So the issue lays on what's considered celebration . The salafis consider the whole concept of mawlid bidah & that there is no good bidah.
In the Shariah, we follow the principle of “everything is halal until proven otherwise” and we base this on direct or indirect evidence from the Quran and Sunnah. We know Zina is haram because it’s explicitly forbidden in the Quran & Sunnah, and we know smoking is haram because the Quran & Sunnah explicitly forbid harm, and smoking harms one’s health.

Do we have good evidence to ban the Mawlid or consider it impermissible? I don’t think so and the many scholars who permitted it have a stronger argument in my opinion, and as a layman, I follow this opinion.

Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah (may Allah have mercy on him) said:

It should be understood that in principle all things, of various types and categories, are generally halaal for human beings, and that they are taahir (pure) and it is not forbidden for people to handle them and touch them. This is a comprehensive rule that is general in application, and it is an important ruling that is of immense benefit and brings much blessing, and the scholars turned to it when issuing ruling on innumerable actions and issues faced by people. It is based on by ten points of evidence – from what I can call to mind of sources of sharee‘ah – namely: the Book of Allah, the Sunnah of His Messenger, and following the path of the believers that is mentioned in the verses (interpretation of the meaning): “Obey Allah and obey the Messenger (Muhammad (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him)), and those of you (Muslims) who are in authority” [an-Nisa’ 4:59] and “Verily, your Walee (Protector or Helper) is Allah, His Messenger, and the believers” [al-Maa’idah 5:55]; in addition to qiyaas (analogy), consideration, rational thinking, and insight.

End quote from Majmoo‘ al-Fataawa (21/535)

In the Shariah, we follow the principle of “everything is halal until proven otherwise” and we base this on direct or indirect evidence from the Quran and Sunnah. We know Zina is haram because it’s explicitly forbidden in the Quran & Sunnah, and we know smoking is haram because the Quran & Sunnah explicitly forbid harm, and smoking harms one’s health.

Do we have good evidence to ban the Mawlid or consider it impermissible? I don’t think so and the many scholars who permitted it have a stronger argument in my opinion, and as a layman, I follow this opinion.

Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah (may Allah have mercy on him) said:

It should be understood that in principle all things, of various types and categories, are generally halaal for human beings, and that they are taahir (pure) and it is not forbidden for people to handle them and touch them. This is a comprehensive rule that is general in application, and it is an important ruling that is of immense benefit and brings much blessing, and the scholars turned to it when issuing ruling on innumerable actions and issues faced by people. It is based on by ten points of evidence – from what I can call to mind of sources of sharee‘ah – namely: the Book of Allah, the Sunnah of His Messenger, and following the path of the believers that is mentioned in the verses (interpretation of the meaning): “Obey Allah and obey the Messenger (Muhammad (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him)), and those of you (Muslims) who are in authority” [an-Nisa’ 4:59] and “Verily, your Walee (Protector or Helper) is Allah, His Messenger, and the believers” [al-Maa’idah 5:55]; in addition to qiyaas (analogy), consideration, rational thinking, and insight.

End quote from Majmoo‘ al-Fataawa (21/535)

I understand, but if it were so easy then we wouldn't have different major sects disagreeing 😂.

I understand, but if it were so easy then we wouldn't have different major sects disagreeing 😂.
There will always be various groups with differences of opinion and it was like that for most of Islamic history. As long as you follow mainstream Sunni Islam (The Four Madhabs & the scholars who follow those Madhabs), Inshallah you will remain on the safe path.

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
@Tamir your underlying point is right but the way Somalis celebrate Mawlid is like how Christians celebrate Christmas.

That is where it’s not permissible as we are copying others.

Trending