Many questions about everyday life (Hargeisa)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello!

I will come to visit soon, and although I have learned most of the members here are Diaspora, I am sure you know way more than me about all the things...

Clothing - Is it true that long sleeves are always required, even for men? I read conflicting statements about both "armless shirts are a no-go" and "T-shirts are a no-go", so I am not certain about that at all..

Greeting - Handshake? Handshaking women as a man?

Gifts - Is it common to bring the host a gift from home? You know, do people like Chocolate? :)

Tips - Is it a thing?

Corruption - I mean like on a street-level, not government & co. How open/discrete does it occur and how should I go about it?

.. I have many more questions, but maybe this should be enough for starting.
Thank you so much in advance!

Im just curious why you wanna do research there

And what else you want to know?

Well I think it's a very interesting place, and seems to be one of the few that can be visited (although my government still tells everyone to not do it).

Gifts - Is it common to bring the host a gift from home? You know, do people like Chocolate? :)

Tips in Restaurants/... - Is it a thing?

Corruption - I mean like on a street-level, not government & co. How open/discrete does it occur and how should I go about it?

Transport - How do I not get ripped off in Taxis, and are Buses useable for foreigners?

Daily life - I guess it's mostly active in the morning and evening, with less happening during the hottest hours?

SirLancelLord

Reformation of Somaliland
VIP
Well I think it's a very interesting place, and seems to be one of the few that can be visited (although my government still tells everyone to not do it).

Transport - How do I not get ripped off in Taxis, and are Buses useable for foreigners?

Daily life - I guess it's mostly active in the morning and evening, with less happening during the hottest hours?

Well if you're not somali the people of hargeisa don't give a toss anymore whenever a foreigner comes as they're used to it so you could walk about without anyone trying to chat to you.

definitely bring gifts to your hosts especially if there are children

Corruption - Politically since the current party got elected governmental corruption is sky high but on the street you do get those loyal civil servants who are just working in a corrupt system.

Transport take a bus / walk or take use their uber equivalent "waryaa taxi"

nah nobody tips but in the cheaper restaurant people do give some to the wait stuff

Im just curious why you wanna do research there

And what else you want to know?
Research:pachah1:
upload_2017-8-24_14-58-17.png

Jeesto

VIP

Well if you're not somali the people of hargeisa don't give a toss anymore whenever a foreigner comes as they're used to it so you could walk about without anyone trying to chat to you.

definitely bring gifts to your hosts especially if there are children

Corruption - Politically since the current party got elected governmental corruption is sky high but on the street you do get those loyal civil servants who are just working in a corrupt system.

Transport take a bus / walk or take use their uber equivalent "waryaa taxi"

nah nobody tips but in the cheaper restaurant people do give some to the wait stuff
This

Clothing and greetings- You can wear your normal clothes. Somalia and Somaliland may be muslim countries but the governments don't impose any dress code. Also, doing handshake is pretty normal so you'll be fine(Don't worry it's not the ME lol:pachah1:).

Hey I can get one of my people to show you around .You will have to make a donation via PayPal and pledge allegiance to my clan for a month .reasonable ?

Hey I can get one of my people to show you around .You will have to make a donation via PayPal and pledge allegiance to my clan for a month .reasonable ?

Haha! Tell me more about this pledge of allegiance. Which one is your clan?
New question too: How important/relevant is the clan in everyday life? Is it common to ask what clan someone is in. I know the basics, Isaaq, Dhulbahante, Gadabuursi, but all the sub- and sub-sub structures are hella confusing!

@scheinwelt are you german ?

I am. Did my username give it away?

Cambuulo Tonight

Poultry in motion
Haha! Tell me more about this pledge of allegiance. Which one is your clan?
New question too: How important/relevant is the clan in everyday life? Is it common to ask what clan someone is in. I know the basics, Isaaq, Dhulbahante, Gadabuursi, but all the sub- and sub-sub structures are hella confusing!

I am. Did my username give it away?
Yeah.

Bist du 'bio Deutsche' oder gemischt?

Und aus welchem Bundesland/ Stadt kommst du?

Ich hΓ€tte noch gern ein paar Fragen, wenn's bei dir ok ist.

Yeah.

Bist du 'bio Deutsche' oder gemischt?

Und aus welchem Bundesland/ Stadt kommst du?

Ich hΓ€tte noch gern ein paar Fragen, wenn's bei dir ok ist.

Aaah, hallo hallo! Gutes Deutsch!

First question: I'd say I'm pretty bio, yeah. But if you go by my grand and grand-grand-parents, I am 1/4 French, 1/8 Austrian, 1/4 Czech/German czech minority and 1/2 German (And now I sounded like an American bragging about his heritage of 1/345 Irish or some shit).

I am from the Southwest of Germany. I think you can also use this thread for more questions about me: https://www.somalispot.com/threads/a-visitor-from-europe.29676/#post-771596 :)

Fellow , one was merely bantering.
That said , I haven't been Hargeysa except via transit , thus there will others with more knowledge .

I am sure you will be fine . The Somalis have a saying " ninka cad laptokisa hala baadho" ( we will welcome our visitors with honey and milk ).

Aaah, hallo hallo! Gutes Deutsch!

First question: I'd say I'm pretty bio, yeah. But if you go by my grand and grand-grand-parents, I am 1/4 French, 1/8 Austrian, 1/4 Czech/German czech minority and 1/2 German (And now I sounded like an American bragging about his heritage of 1/345 Irish or some shit).

I am from the Southwest of Germany. I think you can also use this thread for more questions about me: https://www.somalispot.com/threads/a-visitor-from-europe.29676/#post-771596 :)
What are you researching?

BTW if you are a guy just wear anything except shorts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts