Man charged over violent attack on Somali man in Malta as crowd cheered

BetterDaysAhead

#JusticeForShukriAbdi #FreeYSL
VIP
2021730637632087312074500.jpg

A man, who allegedly punched and threw a Somali national into the sea to the cheers of a crowd of onlookers at Mgarr harbour days ago, was denied bail upon his arraignment on Thursday.

Deelian Mifsud, a 21-year old Xewkija resident, pleaded not guilty when arraigned before the Magistrates’ Court in Gozo, charged with his alleged involvement in the violent episode that took place on July 18 at around 1:00am.

A social media post by a person who happened to witness the violence described how a gang of some 15 men had turned upon the Somali man, spurred on by a cheering crowd from nearby catering establishments.

At one point, a ‘hero’ had allegedly pushed aside a dustbin, moved a table and punched the victim, throwing him into the sea, as the crowd roared in apparent approval.

A group of people intervened to break up the violence, assisting the Somali man, who had been treated “like a dog”, and alerting the police.

Footage of the incident, was referred to by prosecuting Inspector Josef Gauci during Thursday’s arraignment.

A report of the incident had reached the police who, after observing the published footage, had tracked down the suspect aggressor.
'No racism'

Mifsud was charged with attempted grievous bodily harm, causing his alleged victim slight injuries, damaging the man’s Apple IPhone, breaching the public peace and also breaching the terms of a probation order delivered in October by the Criminal Court.

He was also charged with relapsing.

His lawyer, Jean Paul Grech, stated in court that there was no element of racism behind the allegations.

When making submissions on bail, the lawyer argued further that footage of the incident had been preserved, thus reducing the risk of tampering with evidence.

However the prosecution objected, not only in view of the nature of the charges but also because civilians were still to testify and the fact that the accused had a tainted criminal record.

In light of those objections the court, presided over by magistrate Simone Grech, turned down the request and remanded the youth in custody.

Lawyer Franco Debono appeared parte civile.

Somalis could very well be the most hated ethnic group in the world. I really think we've surpassed Jews and Gypsies. The sad thing is, we did it to ourselves.

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
Somalis could very well be the most hated ethnic group in the world. I really think we've surpassed Jews and Gypsies. The sad thing is, we did it to ourselves.

Let's not be ridiculous. No one honestly hates Somalis in much of Asia. You actually get some respect in the Arab world where I live because they think we're "Arabs" like them due to the league membership. We're not really disliked or really even known in Central, East, Southeast or even South Asia either. African countries are a different matter. Somalis do get some hate but it's for different reasons from in the west. It's usually because they see the Somalis as immigrants who are taking their jobs or envy that the Somalis often start successful businesses in comparison to them. Same reason why they tend to hate the Desis and even Nigerians or whatnot in their countries.

And I hardly think any westerners spin as many conspiracy theories about us as they do Jews. Somalis are just seen as "immigrant leeches" and all this by racist cadaans, not the core of insane world destroying conspiracy theories.

Based

VIP
:what: more than Jews and Gypsies?? A bit of an exaggeration. Not many people know about us you know? Yahuud and gypsies have been prosecuted for centuries while geeljires are receiving small hate because of our deen and skin colour :mjlol: where have you seen people making conspiracies about Somalis controlling the world. You're not that guy pal trust me

:what: more than Jews and Gypsies?? A bit of an exaggeration. Not many people know about us you know? Yahuud and gypsies have been prosecuted for centuries while geeljires are receiving small hate because of our deen and skin colour :mjlol: where have you seen people making conspiracies about Somalis controlling the world. You're not that guy pal trust me
Wallahi you would be surprised how much people know us. We were rated below Romanians in the U.K. we are definitely hated in many places 🤣

Ras

It's all so tiresome
VIP
It took Jews and Gypsies millennia to accrue the same hate we generated within 2 decades around the world.

That deserves a Guinness world record at least.

Based

VIP
Wallahi you would be surprised how much people know us. We were rated below Romanians in the U.K. we are definitely hated in many places 🤣
"Many" :mjpls: our diaspora isn't as big as you think it is. You're from the UK so of course you might think the world is against you but that isn't the case. Jews are hated by Europeans and the entirety of the Muslim world and Gypsies are hated by pretty much all their neighbors/all of Europe. Now tell me who hates Somalis on the same scale as yahuudis and gypsies? Some bum jamaicans that called you Somalian the other day🤣??

"Many" :mjpls: our diaspora isn't as big as you think it is. You're from the UK so of course you might think the world is against you but that isn't the case. Jews are hated by Europeans and the entirety of the Muslim world and Gypsies are hated by pretty much all their neighbors/all of Europe. Now tell me who hates Somalis on the same scale as yahuudis and gypsies? Some bum jamaicans that called you Somalian the other day🤣??
Are Jews really hated? I don’t see it. I agree with gypsies they definitely are hated everywhere they go

Let's not be ridiculous. No one honestly hates Somalis in much of Asia. You actually get some respect in the Arab world where I live because they think we're "Arabs" like them due to the league membership. We're not really disliked or really even known in Central, East, Southeast or even South Asia either. African countries are a different matter. Somalis do get some hate but it's for different reasons from in the west. It's usually because they see the Somalis as immigrants who are taking their jobs or envy that the Somalis often start successful businesses in comparison to them. Same reason why they tend to hate the Desis and even Nigerians or whatnot in their countries.

And I hardly think any westerners spin as many conspiracy theories about us as they do Jews. Somalis are just seen as "immigrant leeches" and all this by racist cadaans, not the core of insane world destroying conspiracy theories.

Jews are not hated in Europe anymore and they are loved in North America. Muslims are by far the most hated group in Europe, followed by SS Africans. Somalis are both.

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP

Because Britain is the world? Yakhu shu hadha? My man, I took issue with your ridiculous statement that we are the most hated group in the world, not that some cadaans dislike Somali immigrants.

Because Britain is the world? Yakhu shu hadha? My man, I took issue with your ridiculous statement that we are the most hated group in the world, not that some cadaans dislike Somali immigrants.

Many Somalis Brits moved from other European countries because of the racism they faced there. So Britain is generally the best place to live in Europe for Somalis. So it could be said that Somalis are the most hated ethnic group in Europe.

Ilhan Omar + Reer Henny = Strong contenders for most hated ethnic group in North America too.

In Africa we're the most hated 100%. Ethiopia and Kenya hate our guts.

India is a very anti-Muslim country so we're getting no love there.

China is neutral and the Arab world is average.

What other ethnic group is beating these stats?

Trending