Makhir Highway Is All Weather Road

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP

Is it me, or are they laying down the 'drainage' for the high-way? does this mean that this road will be an all weather road? Maybe anyone who has done civil engineering can explain further.

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
This will be so great travelling from Galkacyo and going on a 'deteour' to Makhir or Bosaso.

char-dham-all-weather-road-project.jpg

I hope we get paved coastal roads also, PL will have the most extensive road network of any region in Somalia. If we paved Eyl To Garowe. Beyla To Qardho. Garacad To Galkacyo.

It will be an impressive region that can be considered as having road networks. We need a road towards the coastal areas, we need our sea and interior connected. Especially that northern sea-bed area of Qandala-Caluula-Baargaal really need a road connecting them to the main high-way.

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
I wish they provide the details such as width of the road, thickness of asphalt, type of bitumen. We could work out how much the cost will be then per tonne. The length is 210 KM. The Width I assume is 7 meters. The asphalt thickness is needed because it will determine how much bitumen is used, the thicker the asphalt, the more damur is needed. Why don't PL project ever show us the technical 'drafts' of projects? everything is in secrecy and not transparent. I want to know what you are charging for the project is true according to the specifications of the project.

Crow

Make Hobyo Great Again
VIP

Is it me, or are they laying down the 'drainage' for the high-way? does this mean that this road will be an all weather road? Maybe anyone who has done civil engineering can explain further.
Drainage is a basic requirement for any road. They aren't like tires that can be switched on and off depending on the time of year. Every road must be an 'all weather' road if it is to have a desirable service life.

The tunnel thing they built underneath the road there is called a culvert. It allows water to flow through from one side of the road to the other. This is important to prevent water from pooling on one side and building up causing more damage to the road. Culverts help disperse the water and keep down water levels around the road.
This video shows what happens when a clogged culvert gets overloaded with water. Watch how quickly the road gets destroyed (feel free to skip through it). It would have been destroyed even sooner had that culvert not been in place. But, it appears this stretch of road was built over a dry riverbed. Culverts aren't meant to handle that amount of water so I think a bridge would have made more sense here.
I wish they provide the details such as width of the road, thickness of asphalt, type of bitumen. We could work out how much the cost will be then per tonne. The length is 210 KM. The Width I assume is 7 meters. The asphalt thickness is needed because it will determine how much bitumen is used, the thicker the asphalt, the more damur is needed. Why don't PL project ever show us the technical 'drafts' of projects? everything is in secrecy and not transparent. I want to know what you are charging for the project is true according to the specifications of the project.
The width, thickness and asphalt mix are not necessarily uniform for all 210 km.

That sort of information isn't useful to the public.

Trending

Latest posts