Letter of Tansar - 3rd century Persian Text Mentioning Somalis

A couple of interesting things I would like to point out that caught my eye in the Shahnameh
View attachment 323734
The war between Persia and Barbar (Somalia), Hamavaran (Yemen) and Misr (Egypt) was a navy battle at sea and they intriguingly referred to Barbar as a “state” it also talks about Barbar’s “monarch” so it’s likely that the city-states were once united under one kingdom with a common king.View attachment 323735
It also talks about how the Berbers used war elephants in their wars, it seems in Northeast Africa there was a common tradition to use war elephants in battle as shown by the Axumites and their wars in Arabia or Nubia and its successor states using them in many battles.

View attachment 323739
However the most fascinating part of what I found is that this war happened around October to April, which is exactly the same time that the Berbera annual fair which gathered all of the merchants and caravans of the Somali peninsula to Berbera along with Arab and Indian traders for trade, which seems to be a common tradition in the north for over a millennia. @Garaad diinle, @Khaemwaset, @Three Moons, @The alchemist, @Shimbiris @Midas, @Idilinaa
Amazing work, man. I think somalias current state sometimes makes it hard to remember that we have often been much better state capacity.

Wait a second Could they be describing an akusmite king? I mean I remember reading about a first aksumite invasion invasion in the 2/3 century before the King Kaleb invasion. Plus yemen was ruled by the sassanians . Could this be what they're talking about?

Damn this is probably referencing aksum. I mean the timeline matches up with when mani was alive (the guy who called aksum one of the 4 great empires). Plus wasn't bebera used as one of the ports in the king kalbe invasion of yemen.

NidarNidar

Punisher
All it said was Land of Blacks from Africa to Dark Skin Dravidian India
Funny enough early trade from the horn and southern Arabi was to coast regions of India, during Gash Group.

A further final aspect should be emphasized as a possible consequence of the potentially crucial role played by food in the interactions that took place along the Red Sea-Punt network, both as a commodity and as an element of the rituals associated with trade. Indeed, it should be remarked that along with food, crops may even have been exchanged, as is shown by the spread of African crops from the Sahel to the Indian Ocean via the Red Sea, such as the case of sorghum, whose domestication process is likely to have largely taken place in Eastern Sudan.155 In the meantime, following the same network, crops originating in Eastern Asia may have found their way to Africa.

Emir of Zayla

𝕹𝖆𝖙𝖎𝖔𝖓 𝖔𝖋 𝕻𝖔𝖊𝖙𝖘
Wait a second Could they be describing an akusmite king? I mean I remember reading about a first aksumite invasion invasion in the 2/3 century before the King Kaleb invasion. Plus yemen was ruled by the sassanians . Could this be what they're talking about?
No, Persians knew the difference between Axumites and Somali Berbers as they were familiar through trade and other such things. It’s not talking about Kaleb’s invasion as this is a different period.

Last edited:

Trending