Lebanon is in deep crisis

AbdiGeedi

To keep your balance, you must keep moving.
Yesterday's blast exacerbated already dire economic situation in Lebanon. In Beirut there is no electricity. People need generators now. There is no food security as the grain reserves are depleting fast. Their currency lost 80% of its value within a year. They ain't got no money or no purchasing power now.

I don't know what country or international organization could bail them out since the reconstruction bill is enormous and the Lebanese system is corrupt.

Most countries are reeling from the growing economic slump caused by the coronavirus with no end in sight. Many countries are burning through their foreign currency reserves to maintain their economies. The IMF and World Bank are stretched out too since so many countries need their financial help. Maybe the Gulf Arab countries can organize financial rescue for Lebanon.

Last edited:

AbdiGeedi

a civil war is brewing
Hopefully Hezbollah will be weakened.

Macron is coming to Beirut. France is an exporter of wheat and can help Lebanon out.

I believe Turkey has the largest fleet of floating power plants in the world. One such ship can be deployed quickly and provide power to Beirut. Though the Lebanese government burned bridges with Turkey politically to please Saudi Arabia.

The US can help the Lebanese banking sector with dollars and also deliver wheat.

The EU brought Greece back from the dead by pumping hundreds of billions of euros into their economy several years ago.

We will soon find out how important Lebanon geopolitically.

The Somali Caesar

King of Sarcasm• Location: Rent free in your head
VIP
Lebanon in general has had instability since the civil war 30 years ago. In fact the only stable Arab Levantine country is Jordan.

AbdiGeedi

Macron is trying to create some sort of joint IC effort to help Lebanon. I am guessing he is trying to rally the EU.

I doubt France will engage in the real financial bail out by itself. The Lebanese system is so corrupt that even the IMF doesn't want to be involved unless Lebanon implements deep and wide ranging reforms.

Additionally, the US and Israel are trying to smoke Hezbollah and Iran out of Lebanon. It plays in their hands to have Lebanon in crisis which in turn deprives Assad of using Lebanon as a way around of his own economic predicament. Despite the prior sanctions, Syria was able to sell phosphates through Lebanon and have a steady stream of dollars. Lebanon was Assad's loophole.

So, I don't think the US will allow France to spoil its plans.

The ones who signed the petition are most likely Lebanese Christians.

AbdiGeedi

Also, the EU doesn't feel threatened by Lebanon's collapse because it is far enough removed from its borders to cause refugee influx concerns, of course, not counting the Greek side of the Cyprus island.

repo

Bantu Liberation Movement
VIP
Macron is trying to create some sort of joint IC effort to help Lebanon. I am guessing he is trying to rally the EU.

I doubt France will engage in the real financial bail out by itself. The Lebanese system is so corrupt that even the IMF don't want to be involved unless Lebanon implements deep and wide ranging reforms.

Additionally, the US and Israel are trying to smoke Hezbollah and Iran out of Lebanon. It plays in their hands to have Lebanon in crisis which in turn deprive Assad of using Lebanon as a way around his own economic predicament. Despite the prior sanctions, Syria was able to sell phosphates through Lebanon and have a steady stream of dollars. Lebanon was Assad's loophole.

So, I don't think the US will allow France to spoil its plans.

The ones who signed the petition are most likely Lebanese Christians.
Do Sunnis in Lebanon want to get rid of Hezbollah since it's the only thing standing between them and a Merkava tank?

AbdiGeedi

Recently there were pro-Erdogan anti-Armenian protests in Lebanon organized by the Lebanese of Turkish descent.

Trending