Leaving home for Uni

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently got accepted to transfer to a uni far away from home. (CA to TX)
I want to leave because I need to be independent because my parents micromanage my decisions.
I am scared that I will hate my life over there and wish to death I was back home.

What are some advice you guys have if you moved away from home to study.

Cali > Texas in terms of living experience , but cost wise Texas > Cali . :banderas: cheap living get you a fat crib for the same price as a shoe box sized apartment in Cali :mjlol:

Are you still in TX? what part? is the Somali community big in TX? Is it politically super conservative?
I got accepted to UH. I went to a boarding school for a while growing up, so I have experience being away. In fact most of my stress stems from my parents not letting me be an adult even though I'm almost 20.
If I go to TX I will have to take out loans though, which in the long run would limit my life options. If I stayed I would be practically going to school for 5-8k but if I go to TX it would be 10-15k.

What is your advice on debt? Is it manageable does it make a huge difference?

I am a poli sci major and English minor. End goal is law school for sure.

Bro I have seen to many random ass mansions in Texas in random parts of cities. They ain't as expensive as the ones in cali. I was considering trying to get me one of those. Because man it's surprising.
Imagine flexing that hard on your neighbors. Who live in just regular nice houses and you got a fat ass mansion.

The mansions I think you're thinking of only cost anywhere between 250 - 500k max in Texas. Even $170 - 250k will still get you a 5 bedroom+ fat crib with big backyard . The houses same size as those in Cali are all 1.5 million and up. At least in the Bay Area

Wallahi today I was just driving to the uni and saw like two mansions in a random ass neighborhood. The neighborhood was your average middle class neighrbood. Just these two houses were huge. They both were gated too. I didn't expect to see houses like that 15 minutes away from where I lived

I think people just buy a cheap house knock it down and put a fat one there for some reason. I know what you're talking about I saw the same thing in Virginia a lot never really anywhere else though

Somali community is getting bigger in the Dallas Fort Worth area. I'm noticing more Somalis. But I haven't heard of any Somalis living in Houston or Austin. In fact I went to Austin when I was younger to visit a Somali lady. She and her kids were 1 out of 3 Somali families living in Austin Texas. She moved to Portland so that was the last time I heard any news about Somalis in Austin. I literally have never heard of Somalis living in Houston.

If you can see yourself paying off those debts with ease than go for it. If you think your going to have problems with them in the future than stay in California to avoid the troubles.

I know people with higher debts. Like my uncle a doctor that graduated with 250k in debt. He is working as a doctor now but he will be able to pay back the debt. If you can't see yourself paying off your debt than I reccomend staying in cali
That worries me but at the same time is sounds kind of nice because I wont be distracted at least. As far as the debt goes, I think I will just do it. I wont be the first person with loans or the last.

i would tell you leaving home would be bad idea financially but that excuse never works with people nowadays:siilaanyosmile: go rinse your pocket will ya so we dont get tempted to rob ya

Abdi Africca

Young Muslim man stuck in Canada.
My only advice to you is NOT to do so.

Hypothetically speaking, if you moved away from home to study, I guarentee to you, on all that I love, that you will not "succeed" in any of your affairs. You will burn in the Hellfire. Simple as.

Did you consider going to a school in a different part of cali? My uncle didn't want to stay in San Diego near his family so he just went to school UC Irvine. Wouldn't it be cheaper to go to school in a different part of california instead of moving to a different state
Is the weather deadly? or just similar to CA?
I'm just sick of CA. The idea of starting somewhere new far far far from here sounds appealing to me.

My only advice to you is NOT to do so.

Hypothetically speaking, if you moved away from home to study, I guarentee to you, on all that I love, that you will not "succeed" in any of your affairs. You will burn in the Hellfire. Simple as.
And why is that?

T1a

Oberbefehlshaber der Somalier Genetik Gruppe
I recently got accepted to transfer to a uni far away from home. (CA to TX)
I want to leave because I need to be independent because my parents micromanage my decisions.
I am scared that I will hate my life over there and wish to death I was back home.

What are some advice you guys have if you moved away from home to study.
I was educated at an independent boarding school. Being away from home isn’t that bad.

Do it its not like you won't be able to visit ur parents whenever. I visit my parents once or twice a year even though i live so far away

Think about the pros and cons

Staying with your parents and going to a state school means you will save money and you don't have to worry about bills or cooking.

SumMo

very lowkey
I moved away from my parents house (2 hours drive), for uni. I’m a big mommy and daddys girl, so it was hard to adjust at first.. I was homesick for almost a year, and I spent my first three months crying myself to sleep because I missed my family so bad.

But alx it was the best thing I could have done for myself. I grew more in 3 years than I did in 18 years. You learn so much about life and yourself once you leave your parents house..
:noneck:

It’s true what they say: In order to grow, you gotta step outside your comfort zone and make tough decisions. Uni will be missed ngl..

After living alone, you feel more ready to tackle this thing called life. Adulthood don’t scare me anymore for some reason. I feel so independent and strong, alx. :vncu2n5::cool:

Last edited:
Come and stay with me in TX, you can live at my place rent free. I'm in Houston. If you can cook delicious meals, I would take care of the grocery bills as well. I have a spare fully furnished room with a attached bathroom ready.

I grew up in the middle east but this is my first year studying abroad far away from my family and it hasn't been all easy. Studying in the middle east wasn't worth the money and so decided to study somewhere else even though my mother strongly discouraged me to(you know hoyos). And let me tell you this, this has been one of my best decisions that I have made.

One thing that you will definitely benefit from studying away from your family is that you will learn how to be more independent and you will also learn a lot of things about life. But you should be prepared for the loneliness that you might feel. There has been times this year where I have been deeply depressed due to the loneliness(haven't seen my family since last summer:mjcry:) that I felt. Alhamdulilah now I feel good but I am pretty sure that almost everyone that studies abroad will feel lonely at some point during their studies and being strong mentally is definitely needed in order to succeed.

Just focus on studies and don't let anything else distract you away from it. Don't hang out with the people that do not take university seriously or they will demotivate you from studying. Wish you all the best. :nvjpqts:

MariaMaria

Education, Peace and Prosperity
Financially it will be difficult but I say try it, you will learn a lot living alone. Make sure you are ready and prepared tho, don't go in a rush, sort out your accommodation and start looking for part time jobs in the area. A job is a must , not only for money but to keep you busy, living alone can get quiet. It helps with building a social circle.

Good luck~!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts