Learning a new language

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
@Periplus @HiraanBorn

Arabic IMO isn't a single language. It is only considered one language for political reasons and religious conservativism in the Arab world by artificially trying to keep the written language as close to the Quran as possible.

It would be like Portugal, Spain, Italy, France, Romania all speaking their own languages in daily life (Portuguese, French, Romanian etc.), but when writing things down all of a sudden only use Latin. Strange situation up there.

You can't connect with people using Fusha, it is seen as standoffish. That's what demotivated me and made me drop it.

One of cousins told me that a Somali tried speaking in Fusha once in Egypt and apparently ppl said “why is this guy speaking like a textbook”

:dead:

NB: Also some people in the Arab world believe that Somali is a dialect of Arabic and is like Darja, almost unintelligible Arabic.

Even Maghrebis think this. One Algerian Uber driver told me “We’re both alike, no one can understand our dialects”.

I just politely nodded and said “yeah I guess so”

:mjlol:

reer

VIP
@Periplus @HiraanBorn

Arabic IMO isn't a single language. It is only considered one language for political reasons and religious conservativism in the Arab world by artificially trying to keep the written language as close to the Quran as possible.

It would be like Portugal, Spain, Italy, France, Romania all speaking their own languages in daily life (Portuguese, French, Romanian etc.), but when writing things down all of a sudden only use Latin. Strange situation up there.

You can't connect with people using Fusha, it is seen as standoffish. That's what demotivated me and made me drop it.

One of cousins told me that a Somali tried speaking in Fusha once in Egypt and apparently ppl said “why is this guy speaking like a textbook”

NB: Also some people in the Arab world believe that Somali is a dialect of Arabic and is like Darja, almost unintelligible Arabic.

Even Maghrebis think this. One Algerian Uber driver told me “We’re both alike, no one can understand our dialects”.

arabic diglossia is confusing. spoken arabic is a single language with varying dialects from arab parts of southern iran all the way to approximately libya and arabized chad. after that its debatable if francophone arabs speak arabic. most of those people can usually understand each other. kazakh and kyrgyz are arguably the same language and are mutually intelligible. but politicians say theyre different languages.

maybe somali should have a dialect of arabic and use it in media. make it a neutral accent with added somali words. :lol:

Last edited:

Apollo

VIP

Unironically, a Moroccan guy also said this to me once, no joke. Somali is a dialect of Arabic. :mjlol:

This just reveals to me that Darija really is a separate language and not Arabic.

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
Unironically, a Moroccan guy also said this to me once, no joke. Somali is a dialect of Arabic. :mjlol:

This just reveals to me that Darija really is a separate language and not Arabic.

The Arab identity is not tied to ethnicity or language anymore. It’s just a club of countries deemed close enough to one another culturally and in some umbrella organisation.

My Syrian friend was doing an essay on the Arab league and apparently their definition on Arab is not tied to ethnicity anymore.

How the mighty fall lol.

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
I have been learning Mandarin for a month now. My hope is to be fluent and unaccented within 12 months. I might as well learn it due to my area's and country's demographics. I have accepted our new overlords.

:mjpls:
Jgq1ZkU.png

I see you are hard at work for your social credit score and I am proud and approve.

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
i’ve been thinking about french but i’m afraid it will be a long journey

Vocab will be easy but the grammar and rules will kill you.

In terms of vocabulary, it’s just fancier English with a lot more Latin words.

For example, every word that ends in “-tion” is the same in French and English.

Every word that ends in “-ity” ends with “ité”

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
@Apollo

I don't know if you know, walaal, but if you don't the meme comes from this:

He called Taiwan a country while on tour for Fast 9 or something and somehow his publicists talked him into apologizing to China in Mandarin. Many memes ensued and his western fan base tore him a new one for a hot minute but thankfully for him the saaxiib's career didn't end due to this castrado behavior and he has his own show now:

Chinese social credit has value even in the United States of A it seems. Praise be.

Jgq1ZkU.png

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
@Apollo

I don't know if you know, walaal, but if you don't the meme comes from this:

He called Taiwan a country while on tour for Fast 9 or something and somehow his publicists talked him into apologizing to China in Mandarin. Many memes ensued and his western fan base tore him a new one for a hot minute but thankfully for him the saaxiib's career didn't end due to this castrado behavior and he has his own show now:

Chinese social credit has value even in the United States of A it seems. Praise be.

Jgq1ZkU.png

Bro, he’s actually fluent in Chinese and interacts with Chinese ppl regularly on their social media sites.

Ppl were just shocked that he could speak Chinese.

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
Bro, he’s actually fluent in Chinese and interacts with Chinese ppl regularly on their social media sites.

Ppl were just shocked that he could speak Chinese.
I wouldn't say fluent. Seems most of the Chinese folks in the comment section say it's not very good but admirable and mostly comprehensible:

And it did make a lot of fans lose respect for him when he pulled that apology move but I commend the saaxiib on trying to learn another language and don't begrudge him a career move.

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
I wouldn't say fluent. Seems most of the Chinese folks in the comment section say it's not very good but admirable and mostly comprehensible:

And it did make a lot of fans lose respect for him when he pulled that apology move but I commend the saaxiib on trying to learn another language and don't begrudge him a career move.

Tbf, it was four years, seeing his enthusiasm, he’s probably way better right now.

Trending