Learned the word for happiness is an arabic loanword

I think Raynrayn is exited.
The Somali word of happiness is Riyaaq.

Riyaaq = Farxad

Warkaas aad baan ugu riyaaqay =

I was happy with that news.
That's right, it means excitement/joy but also hitting the jackpot kinda thing.
"Warkaas aad baan ugu raayay"
"Waan kuugu raayay" etc.

Riyaaq is even better. There's damaashaad too but that's more like dancing with excitement, I think.

hinters

E pluribus unum
VIP
Arabic and Somali evolved from the same language. There will be similarities because many common words came from the same root word.

This is a concept taught to 14 years old kids. You should be ashamed of yourself.
Ashamed of myself because I asked a question? Warya is diji subhanallah. Peraps you need a little break from Somalispot.
:damnmusic:

90% or more/the vast majority of arabic words in Somali are direct loanwords not roots from the same stem.

For example. Jaamhuuriyad(Republic) is a direct arabic loanword. But Aabe and Ab are similar because of Somali and Arabic afroasiatic connection.

hinters

E pluribus unum
VIP
Afro-Asiatic has a massive time depth compared to other families. It's estimated to be around 15k years old, Therefore the possibility of remotely related language families like Cushitic and Semitic sharing cognates is very minimal. The only reason Afro-Asiatic was recognized as a legit Language family group is because the world's oldest written languages are Afro-Asiatic.

Considering how loanword borrowings between the two languages have mainly been one-way traffic, it's better to assume that every word shared by Somali and Arabic is a loanword from the latter.
Exactly, very few words in Somali that are arabic are from some kind of shared Afro-asiatic stem.

Somali is an ancient Semitic language. Therefore, you would find words that it is overlapping with many other Afro-Asiatic languages.

No, it isn't a Semitic language, walaal

Somali is a Cushitic language; Cushitic, Semitic, Chadic, Omotic and ancient Egyptian are all part of the Afro-Asiatic phylum.

It was estimated 1/5 of our language is Arabic loanwords, probably much more today.

1669180613895.png

No, it isn't a Semitic language, walaal

Somali is a Cushitic language; Cushitic, Semitic, Chadic, Omotic and ancient Egyptian are all part of the Afro-Asiatic phylum.

We can pronounce the letter
1669189726908.png
, and it is only Semitic languages that can.

Second, Somali and Soqotri languages are very close. And this is how that language is described:

"Soqotri (also spelt Socotri, Sokotri, or Suqutri; autonym: ماتڸ دسقطري, mɛ́taḷ di-saḳɔ́ṭri; Arabic: اللغة السقطرية, al-luḡah al-suquṭriyyah) is a South Semitic language spoken by the Soqotri people on the island of Socotra and the two nearby islands of Abd al Kuri and Samhah, in the Socotra archipelago, in the Guardafui Channel. Soqotri is one of six languages that form a group called Modern South Arabian languages (MSAL). These additional languages include Mehri, Shehri, Bathari, Harsusi and Hobyot. All are spoken in different regions of Southern Arabia."

Soqotri is just arabic with a lot of Italian vocabulary. Anyone who speaks Italian and arabic would be able to understand it.

It is the root language which Arabic is derived from. But one has to live in Soqotra island, Yemen, or Oman - places where this language is spoken to fully understand it. So it is not like Arabic speakers would understand it. Nope. They would need to learn it.

hinters

E pluribus unum
VIP
It is the root language which Arabic is derived from. But one has to live in Soqotra island, Yemen, or Oman - places where this language is spoken to fully understand it. So it is not like Arabic speakers would understand it. Nope. They would need to learn it.
Sorry I was thinking of Maltese for some reason. Idk how I got Soqotri and Maltese mixed up.

Aurelian

Forza Somalia!
VIP
So you took the most Arabic word in Somali “farxah:فرحة" to get shocked it is Arabic loan word? Dude take more ambiguous words next time.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
bad is a Somali as it can get.
Bax in Somali if I’m not mistaken is the imperative of “to go”.
while in classical Arab bax means the voice becoming weaker like when you sick and the voice weaken.
Bax in dialect means disappearing.

Last edited:

hinters

E pluribus unum
VIP
So you took the most Arabic word in Somali “farxah:فرحة" to get shocked it is Arabic loan word? Dude take more ambiguous words next time.

bad is a Somali as it can get.
Bax in Somali if I’m not mistaken is the imperative of “to go”.
while in classical Arab bax means the voice becoming weaker like when you sick and the voice weaken.
Bax in dialect means disappearing.
Well I don't speak arabic. So I didn't know.

Raaxad - contentment, happiness, plenitude of satisfaction

Badhaadh - happy, prosper

Arwaax - happiness among others like cheerful, thrilled, exhilaration.

Mustareex - happiness

Naallo - good fortune/news, happiness, unforgettable situation

Riyaaq - joy, happiness, enthusiasm

Nothing wrong with loanwords, faraxsan is part of the Somali language today.

Somali is an Afro-Asiatic language, of course we will share similar words and root words with other Afro-Asiatic languages. The same way Germanic languages are similar and other language families.

Please let's all stop ascribing all things Somali, with Arabs.

I'm not the loanword police, idc if there are loanwords in our language. But faraxsan is apparently arabic. Forgive my hooyo mataalo-ness but iss there a somali equivalent or were our ancestors too depressed to come up with a word for happiness
:farole:
The words for day & today in af soomaali maanta iyo maliin are both ethio-semitic loan words too. You shouldn't feel bad about Somalis speaking with so many loanwords. Somalia was the crossroad between Abyssinia & the middle east this was bound to happen in one way or another.

I'm not the loanword police, idc if there are loanwords in our language. But faraxsan is apparently arabic. Forgive my hooyo mataalo-ness but iss there a somali equivalent or were our ancestors too depressed to come up with a word for happiness
:farole:
yes fun fact that before Arabs came we were loads of lamagoodles who drank camel milk and ate qamadi or cambulo for a source of nutrition that's why words like basal, tuun, bariis,qorfe heel e.tc are all arabic words, even words like dareeshad and daaqad arent somali because somalis were originally nomads who lived in aqals (nomad tent) with no windows so they didnt have a word for it, tomatoes were never a thing we ate as both the words yaanyo or tomaando or from swahili and english, fun fact somalis weren't wearing underwear until the colony came thats why kastuumo is an italian word and nigis is a xooged version of the word nickers, we never had bread originally thats why we call it rooti indian word, and also sabayad and suqaar arent somali words either their actually yemeni, somalis got the ghayn in suqaar and changed it to a qaaf tryna cover up the crime scene cus the actual meaning of suqaar in arabic is sughaar meaning small pieces referring to the small pieces of meat, and also the word Kabo is actually from chinese because somalis were always barefoot and the word somali actually is an arabic word too, now lets kiss the shoes of MBS and yemenis
1669335597022.png

1669335644840.png

Trending