Ladies & Gents, Meet Ash Barty, an Aussie-Aboriginal Champ.

Status
Not open for further replies.
@sanger

The whole of West Heidelberg's population doesn't have that many, I incorrectly added an extra zero (typo)and I thought even 3000 were very high because with that number, they could elect a councillor or two.

I got the 3000 from this article because others are claiming it is too high..

Hussein Haraco, a Somali-born businessman who owns shops in The Mall, the main retailing focus in Heidelberg West, agreed. “The figure is closer to 3000,” he estimated.

https://www.thecitizen.org.au/articles/how-melbournes-somalis-are-finding-their-political-voice

I have little faith in anything you say at this stage.

3000 is still too high for Heidelberg. 35% of the Somali Victorian population in that one neighbourhood? Perhaps in all the northern suburbs, but definitely not in a single suburb or city council/shire. But theres no surprise there since its somebody's own personal estimate. The article says the entire municipality has 800 Somalis on the books, that seems more realistic. You should probably go with that.

I have little faith in anything you say at this stage.

3000 is still too high for Heidelberg. 35% of the Somali Victorian population in that one neighbourhood? Perhaps in all the northern suburbs, but definitely not in a single suburb or city council/shire. But theres no surprise there since its somebody's own personal estimate. The article says the entire municipality has 800 Somalis on the books, that seems more realistic. You should probably go with that.

@sanger

I never claimed to be a faith merchant and nor my intention was to sell you any product, but if you read the article I posted above, both the Somali leader and the councillor who represents them in the local council estimate Somalis in the zone to be 3000. I don't know the validity of these claims, but their argument is based that most Somalis never fill the census (which is true) and the numbers are as high as 3000. The Somali odey owns few shops in mall and is actively involved with the community. The council man thinks the numbers are correct and points to the fact these numbers are the reason why both state and federal politicians pay visits to the community soliciting their votes during election times. That is what the whole article was based upon. Read it again. Who should we believe? You or them?

That Somali leader took Somali youngsters soccer players from Melbourne to Somalia and they played matches there. He is better informed about his local community more than you, me and the Australian Bureau of Statistics.

'Pioneers of integration': Somali-Australian footballers take trip back home.

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/pioneer...li-australian-footballers-take-trip-back-home

@sanger

I never claimed to be a faith merchant and nor my intention was to sell you any product, but if you read the article I posted above, both the Somali leader and the councillor who represents them in the local council estimate Somalis in the zone to be 3000. I don't know the validity of these claims, but their argument is based that most Somalis never fill the census (which is true) and the numbers are as high as 3000. The Somali odey owns few shops in mall and is actively involved with the community. The council man thinks the numbers are correct and points to the fact these numbers are the reason why both state and federal politicians pay visits to the community soliciting their votes during election times. That is what the whole article was based upon. Read it again. Who should we believe? You or them?

That Somali leader took Somali youngsters soccer players from Melbourne to Somalia and they played matches there. He is better informed about his local community more than you, me and the Australian Bureau of Statistics.

'Pioneers of integration': Somali-Australian footballers take trip back home.

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/pioneer...li-australian-footballers-take-trip-back-home

If you have been to Heidelberg you would know that its a small suburb. You would know from the get go that there couldn't be 30,000 Somalis, let alone 30,000 people. It's a small suburb not a large town. Perhaps it was a small gaffe on your part that can be overlooked. But with the other stuff, I don't know.

You said Langdon agreed to the figure of 3,000. He definitely did not, read it again. He said the number of Somalis in the area was more than 800, claiming that not everyone has filled out their census forms. He didn't give an estimate of how many more there could be. So this is you once again being very dishonest.

Yes, Haraco is definitely more engaged in the community than me. There is no doubt about that. But what has that got do with statistics.

And you just said "Who should we believe? You or them?" I have given you statistics that are as clear as day. But if you want to take the estimates of a mayor which didn't actually give an estimate and a businessman over a government agency (the Australian Bureau of Statistics) than be my guest.

Status
Not open for further replies.