Ladies & Gents, Meet Ash Barty, an Aussie-Aboriginal Champ.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The second Aboriginal Australian since Evonne Goolagong Cawley to win the French Open.

Ash Barty
Ash-Barty-is-on-her-way-to-becoming-the-first-Indigenous-player-since-Evonne-Goolagong-Cawley-to-win-the-French-Open.-Photo-from-Ash-Bartys-Facebook-page.-678x381.jpg

Evonne Goolagong Cawley
upload_2019-6-9_0-48-41.jpeg

Do the American and Canadian natives play popular sports?

Does Australia practice the one drop rule?

@Qarboosh

It is a loaded and complex question because till the 1980's, mixed children were forcefully removed from their Aboriginal mothers and adopted out by Caucasian families or they were placed in religious orphanage establishments where they've suffered mental and physical abuses in these institutions. They were told that their Aboriginal mothers and relatives abandoned them. Some were never told about their aboriginality and others were made to be embarrassed of their Aboriginal heritage. These people were known as the 'Stolen Generation' and in the 1990's, they were re-introduced to their Aboriginal families. If they wanted to reclaim their Aboriginal ancestry and heritage, they were given that option. Most have exercised that option and reconnected with their Aboriginal families, culture and ethnicity.

A_A

Islamic Fanfiction Writer
@Qarboosh

It is a loaded and complex question because till the 1980's, mixed children were forcefully removed from their Aboriginal mothers and adopted out by Caucasian families or they were placed in religious orphanage establishments where they've suffered mental and physical abuses in these institutions. They were told that their Aboriginal mothers and relatives abandoned them. Some were never told about their aboriginality and others were made to be embarrassed of their Aboriginal heritage. These people were known as the 'Stolen Generation' and in the 1990's, they were re-introduced to their Aboriginal families. If they wanted to reclaim their Aboriginal ancestry and heritage, they were given that option. Most have exercised that option and reconnected with their Aboriginal families, culture and ethnicity.
Interesting, Native Americans have to be a certain percent of Native in order to identify as one. Each tribe is different but most have some sort of requirement

Poor woman version of sam stosur win rg and sam doesnt...crazy world. Also I met sam, only nice aussie i ever met in real life

1/32 abo getting scholarships to top aus unis and reduced ATAR requirements

:pacspit:

Where is my scholarship for being the child of refugees fkkkk

1/32 abo getting scholarships to top aus unis and reduced ATAR requirements

:pacspit:

Where is my scholarship for being the child of refugees fkkkk

@Machine

If you are half smart and hard working as the Indian and the Chinese students, Melbourne University (best uni in Melbourne) offers such scholarships with reduced ATAR entry level scores for after-sought degrees to the children of refugees. Most Somali students don't know about these scholarships indicates about their "wonderful" achievements. There are 1000% more Aboriginal people studying at Melb uni than Somalis and if Aboriginal students are doing better than us, I won't be surprised.

Let me introduce to you another Australian Aboriginal woman, she has never won the French Open but has won every other grand-slam and has languished as female tennis number one player for many years. Meet Margaret Court.

Margaret Court (left) and Evonne Goolagong (Right) Two Aboriginal ladies with their winning doubles trophy in Wimbledon grand slam.

Court won more than half of the Grand Slam singles tournaments she played (24 of 47). She won 192 singles titles before and after the Open Era, an all-time record.[1] Her career singles win-loss record was 1,177-106, for a winning percentage of 91.74 percent on all surfaces (hard, clay, grass, carpet), is also an all-time record. She won at least 100 singles matches in 1965 (113-8), 1968 (107-12), 1969 (104-6),[2] 1970 (110-6),[3] and 1973 (108-6).[4] She won more than 80 percent of her singles matches against top 10 players (297-73) and was the year-end top ranked player seven times.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margaret_Court_career_statistics

@Machine

If you are half smart and hard working as the Indian and the Chinese students, Melbourne University (best uni in Melbourne) offers such scholarships with reduced ATAR entry level scores for after-sought degrees to the children of refugees. Most Somali students don't know about these scholarships indicates about their "wonderful" achievements. There are 1000% more Aboriginal people studying at Melb uni than Somalis and if Aboriginal students are doing better than us, I won't be surprised.

What kind of scholarships? I think the only thing most Somalis are eligible are for the reduced ATAR requirements.

@Machine

Your post is very dishonest. If you come from an under-represented school, or have social disadvantage, or a disability, or come from a rural area you can apply for one those programs that make entry into competitive university programs easier. But they do not drop the bar for you very much. If the program requires you to be in the top 3% of the state in terms of ATAR, they will let you in at 5-6%. For less competitive programs the bar may dropped further understandably.

If you do meet these circumstances you are likely eligible for many of scholarships and bursaries. You may even get a bursary or a small scholarship without even applying if you have done well academically.

And no. Somali students do not qualify for any of the scholarships that are intended for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Australians. They are intended specifically for that community (obviously). Some Somali students may qualify for some of those equity entrance programs through social and economic disadvantage but many of us went to state schools that performed well, and some of us to Islamic schools (private schools).

@senger

Sxb, I discussed this issue in detail so many times and posted the guidelines, offers of scholarships and etc. In terms of high schools, out of the10 top high schools in Victoria, 6 are Jewish schools and the most promising Islamic school that languishes at the top of the bottom half is the Turkish school ISIK College which is a Fethulah Gullen school and there are barely any Somali students enrolled there. The majority of Somalis attend East Preston Islamic school and their results are in the lowest bracket of the lowest 10 schools. Debney Park is predominantly Somalis and the white people in the neighbourhood refuse to send their children to that school. When the ghetto high-rises in Flemington and North Melbourne were highly populated by the Vietnamese boat people, this school performed far better and the Vietnamese parents were highly aspirational people and moved out of the ghetto for only to be replaced by Somalis permanently. There are improvements made by Somali families who moved out to the outer suburbs and bought homes, but they are very tiny compared to those left behind in these projects. Our main problem is many have made the ghetto a permanent home for only their children to attend the worst performing schools and fail miserably.

Don't go comparing grammar schools that charge anywhere between $20-35,000 per annum for tuition, and selective schools that take the cream of the crop, against a private school that charges only 8k per annum at the very most. The resources and talent they take are completely different. Schools like ISIK are in the race but they can never win. Let's just be frank about it.

And many Somalis have made commission housing their permanent home? Sure there will always be a small minority that abuse the system and stay in public housing, but by no means are they many or are they ghettos. You know these are falsehoods but you are only saying this to stir the pot.

@sanger

Sxb, it is estimated that there are roughly 30,000 Somalis who live in and around West Heidelberg, who owns these homes that they live in? They are government owned homes. What local schools are available to them? Banksia Secondary College was closed for the simple fact that it became a ghetto school after all the other races left and abandoned the school and it became a Somali school with very few Aboriginal students. The reality tastes very bitter and no one likes to taste it, best if we ignore it. Our problems will just wither away.

@sanger

Sxb, it is estimated that there are roughly 30,000 Somalis who live in and around West Heidelberg, who owns these homes that they live in? They are government owned homes. What local schools are available to them? Banksia Secondary College was closed for the simple fact that it became a ghetto school after all the other races left and abandoned the school and it became a Somali school with very few Aboriginal students. The reality tastes very sour and no one likes to bite it, best if we ignore it. Our problems will wither away.

There are about 15,000 Somalis in all of Australia, how could there be twice that in amount in a single area code.

Obviously what I have to say won't be enough so I went looking for statistics. I found an official document from the Australian Bureau of Statistics (enclosed). As of 2016 there were 16,169 Australians of Somali ancestry in the whole nation, and a meagre 8,417 Somalis in the state of Victoria were they are well represented. Have a look through the spreadsheet and see for yourself.

http://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/subs...EF67CA2581620019845C&0&2016&20.07.2017&Latest

@sanger

The whole of West Heidelberg's population doesn't have that many, I incorrectly added an extra zero (typo)and I thought even 3000 were very high because with that number, they could elect a councillor or two.

I got the 3000 from this article because others are claiming it is too high..

Hussein Haraco, a Somali-born businessman who owns shops in The Mall, the main retailing focus in Heidelberg West, agreed. “The figure is closer to 3000,” he estimated.

https://www.thecitizen.org.au/articles/how-melbournes-somalis-are-finding-their-political-voice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts