Kibir and remittance

I'm currently in Somalia staying on a road with many young graduates, 90% are all unemployed. There are jobs available, but I've been told by older relatives that these jobs are disliked and viewed as low-class. Mind you, the people here have mostly useless degrees that aren't suitable for Somalia: political science, business etc. There are barely any trade schools here, no one is interested in vocational skills despite vocational jobs being the only jobs available. This kibir is being upheld by the system of remittance. They don't care to work because they don't have to, they live off the few hundreds of dollars their families abroad send and live large off of that. I'm from Minnesota and it angers me to think all over the backbreaking Amazon overnight shifts taken on by middle aged Somalis to support these lazy leeches. We need to stop this cycle!

Yep, but I don't think they have much choice. They don't live in a society that rewards hard work. They don't have scalable businesses. You know like in sales a person earns more if they sell more? Well they don't have anything like that. Its a slowly decaying and lifeless society. The most lazy creatures Allah has ever created.

Another important point I forgot to mention was the impact of remittance on inflation. Imported goods are expensive here, but they still get imported because people can afford it thanks to remittance money.

If they don't receive remittances many would starve to death or sleep in the street because even the educated can't find a job. They don't have a society that cares about job created.

The funny thing is the more I look at Somalia the more I appreciated what I have in Scandinavia. it requires unbelievable discipline and ingenuity to create an industrialised and growing society.

World

VIP
The cycle will stop when the older generation can no longer support their family back home, and the young generation have no interest in sending money back to people they don’t even know.

I'm sure there are loads of lazy people, but the competition for jobs is fierce too, especially for younger people. The median age in Somalia is 17 yo, and there's few skilled jobs available unfortunately.

A lot of jobs need to created for the youngsters. This is ofc easier said than done.

I'm currently in Somalia staying on a road with many young graduates, 90% are all unemployed. There are jobs available, but I've been told by older relatives that these jobs are disliked and viewed as low-class. Mind you, the people here have mostly useless degrees that aren't suitable for Somalia: political science, business etc. There are barely any trade schools here, no one is interested in vocational skills despite vocational jobs being the only jobs available. This kibir is being upheld by the system of remittance. They don't care to work because they don't have to, they live off the few hundreds of dollars their families abroad send and live large off of that. I'm from Minnesota and it angers me to think all over the backbreaking Amazon overnight shifts taken on by middle aged Somalis to support these lazy leeches. We need to stop this cycle!
Thats what I've been thinking the remittance system creates lazy entitle people who refuse to progress in any way but wait for remittance handouts from diaspora family members.. We definitely need to stop or reduce this system its not healthy for the society in the long run.

Psychologist

Changemaker
Nothing surprising. The crazy part is those families that live abroad are working on those fields that those back home call low class LOL.

People In the west need to stop sending money back home and tell those mfs back home to get a job.

Somalis back home are really doomed, No hope for those who can't help themselves.

If they don't receive remittances many would starve to death or sleep in the street because even the educated can't find a job. They don't have a society that cares about job created.

The funny thing is the more I look at Somalia the more I appreciated what I have in Scandinavia. it requires unbelievable discipline and ingenuity to create an industrialised and growing society.
There are jobs available, just not high skilled office jobs. Somalia should be filled with trade schools not universities, we do not need high skill jobs in a country that is recovering from a 30 year war. Construction workers and welders are imported, even our agriculture is imported because people don't want to work in the fields anymore. Everyone wants to work in an office or not work at all. Khaleeji attitude without the khaleeji money, its pitiful.

TekNiKo

“I am an empathic and emotionally-aware person.
VIP
Absolutely, they all want easy office jobs with air conditioning, Can you believe in my local village I was called midg##n for volunteering at my local brick laying factory who was my neighbour. All my relatives called me and told me to stop immediately and that I was “embarassing them” :snoop: :jcoleno:

Psychologist

Changemaker
Absolutely, they all want easy office jobs with air conditioning, Can you believe in my local village I was called midg##n for volunteering at my local brick laying factory who was my neighbour. All my relatives called me and told me to stop immediately and that I was “embarassing them” :snoop: :jcoleno:
Were they nomad? :dead1:

Its funny to me how those who have to wait on their families who live aboard to send them money, act like they way they do.

isn't shameful to wait on another man or woman to take care of your family financially while you are physically and mentally fine? How tf do they go to sleep knowing that?

Somalia is a society that shames workers

TekNiKo

VIP
Were they nomad? :dead1:

Its funny to me how those who have to wait on their families who live aboard to send them money, act like they way they do.

isn't shameful to wait on another man or woman to take care of your family financially while you are physically and mentally fine? How tf do they go to sleep knowing that?

Somalia is a society that shames those who work with their hand and brain instead of waiting on another man check to arrive.
Yeah I went there to prove that anyone can work as they paid 5 dollars a day. Only Bantus and few marginalized clans were working there even the mechanic job is held by knowledgable clans. I was immediately rebuked LOL.

The cycle will stop when the older generation can no longer support their family back home, and the young generation have no interest in sending money back to people they don’t even know.

Not gonna happen when hunderds of people tahriib everyday. I really would like the know the ratio of tahriibyaal/diaspora sending remittance. I bet Fobs send waayy more

Psychologist

Changemaker
Yeah I went there to prove that anyone can work as they paid 5 dollars a day. Only Bantus and few marginalized clans were working there even the mechanic job is held by knowledgable clans. I was immediately rebuked LOL.
5x30= $150 is good money in Somalia, Love to see it. We need more people working with their hands and less lazy mfs who live in fake world with fake prides. :trumpsmirk:

Factories should be built for the hard workers, they could make good money and do so much good economically for Somalia.

TekNiKo

VIP
5x30= $150 is good money in Somalia, Love to see it. We need more people working with their hands and less lazy mfs who live in fake world with fake prides. :trumpsmirk:

Factories should be built for the hard workers, they could make good money and do so much good economically for Somalia.
Wallahi its good wa lazy fokers want money from abroad to chew khat that is what is “noble” then we wonder why we are so under developed. They were shocked a diasporee would work with the “shaqo liito”.

Thats when I knew Somalis have 68 IQ

the culture back home is no different to the diaspora in the West that would rather sit in an air conditioned taxi for 10 hrs a day than pick up a shovel and work at a construction site.

Why are we sh** talking Somali's back home when we do the EXACT SAME in the west?

Last edited:

Scandinavia is mostly dependent on hydrocarbon and energy exports except Sweden