Italian influence on Somali language and culture

Molotoff

Supreme Bosniak Geeljire
VIP
Since Somalia was colonized by Italy, in which way have they influenced your language and culture?

I have wanted to ask this question for a long time.

Last edited:
Pasta. Lots of loan words in the southern dialects. Also one of the reasons why we opted for a latin script. Not in many other ways tho imo. They havent made a significant impact on our culture.

Molotoff

Supreme Bosniak Geeljire
VIP
Pasta. Lots of loan words in the southern dialects. Also the reason why we opted for a latin script was because the literate ones were familiar with italian. Not in many other ways tho imo. They havent made a significant impact on our culture.

Interesting. Can you give a few examples of the loan words?

Did they try to convert you to roman catholicism and if yes, did they have any success?

Crow

Make Hobyo Great Again
VIP

Did they try to convert you to roman catholicism and if yes, did they have any success?
They tried but with no success. There were very few conversions in the Somali territories occupied by the French, British, and Italians. They targeted orphans who they would brainwash but several decades later and there are less than 100 Christians with Somali ancestry worldwide.

Southern Somalis uses lots of Italian loanwords when speaking. Everything they introduced has an Italian name. But not everywhere of course. Were I'm from for example, were part of Britain so we use many English words for things instead. However, the colonizers with the biggest impact on Somalis were the French in Djibouti. Education for them is still mandatory to be in French. The news is broadcasted in French, all the signs are in French etc
Hope this helped.

Last edited:

Crow

Make Hobyo Great Again
VIP
Southern Somalis uses lots of Italian loanwords when speaking. Everything they introduced has an Italian name. But not everywhere of course. Were I'm from for example, were part of Britain so we use many English words for things instead. However, the colonizers with the impact on Somalis were the French in Djibouti. Education for them is mandatory to be in French.
Hope this helped.
They don't even know how to spell their own names anymore. Yusuf has become Youssef in Djibouti.
:mjlol:

Apollo

VIP

There's a lot, especially when it comes to modern things introduced by the Italians. Top of my mind is Jalaato from Italian Gelato and Farmaajo from Formaggio, shitton more.

As for culture, the Italians introduced mafia culture to Somalia, corruption, and talking with your hands. :siilaanyolaugh:

Warya , why do you write in this peculiar way . Always spacing your full stop . ? ?
I don’t . Believe in traditional writing styles . Or grammar rules imposed on the poor by elites and imperialists . By conforming to such social creations , you are essentially supporting oppression and imperialism . We . Are told not to use slang , why ? Because it is not the language spoken by the British aristocratic society . I .

Ps.it is accidental.