Israeli-developed HIV drug maybe a major breakthrough

Status
Not open for further replies.
Medication reportedly causes infected cells to self-destruct, meaning the virus cannot later reactivate
Israeli scientists have developed a new drug that could constitute a breakthrough in the treatment of HIV and AIDS, Israel's Mako news site reported on Monday.

The drug, developed at Jerusalem's Hebrew University and being tested in Rehovot, was injected into test tubes containing the blood of ten HIV carriers suffering from AIDS. Within eight days, the presence of the virus in the vials decreased by up to 97 percent, according to the report.

Existing HIV medications can delay the virus's reproduction in the body, but cannot destroy it completely. Their development has helped turn AIDS into a manageable chronic disease instead of a death sentence.

The drug's active ingredient is a peptide – a smaller version of a protein – that leads to numerous copies of the virus's DNA to enter a cell instead of just one copy, which makes the cell self-destruct, the Times of Israel reported.

Abraham Loyter, one of the two scientists who developed the drug, told Mako that the medication could be groundbreaking because "in our approach we destroy the cells, so there is no chance that the virus will one day be awoken, because there are no cells, or there won't be cells that contain the virus."

http://www.i24news.tv/en/news/israe...-developed-hiv-drug-may-be-major-breakthrough

Mohamud

ʜᴀᴄᴋᴇᴅ ᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀ
yeah it's come to a point where i would marry someone who had the disease provided it was a low viral load

we're about close to curing the whole thing

I remember a tale from sheikhs describing of a new sexual disease in which there would be no cure, according to them it was aids. Funny shit.

Mudug-Madman

Gaalkacyo Gangster
Israel, the only Middle East nation that is actively contributing to the world.
:salute:
Their scientific contributions do not out-weigh cancel out all the oppression and destruction they bring to the region.

yeah it's come to a point where i would marry someone who had the disease provided it was a low viral load

we're about close to curing the whole thing
Let's not get carried away here.

The_Cosmos

Pepe Trump
Their scientific contributions do not out-weigh cancel out all the oppression and destruction they bring to the region.

Let's not get carried away here.

Israel's treatment of Palestinians is terrible but it's not as one sided as you make it seem. The Palestinians refused the partition plan presented by the UN in 1948 and steered for war instead. They contributed to the problem as much as Israel.
:manny:

LittleNileRiver

Keepin Southies in check since 1998
While the Gulf Arabs are competing to build the tallest buildings for Yaumul Qiyamah, Israel is achieving innovations in medicine and technology.

Apollo

VIP
Israeli Scientists are mostly left wing and against their right wing government. Don't conflate the two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending