Is Xawaash seasoning somali originally or is it Yemeni?

I remember speaking to a reer Banaadir guy who told me this:

Most of what I've seen of the reer Gendershe and Jaziira varies from plainly looking Somali to a few looking somewhat mixed:

Link

If I recall correctly, the Italians didn't say whether they were classified as Gibil-Madow or Gibil-Cad back when they conducted their censes.
Sheekhaal Gendershe, Sheekhaal Jaziira and Sheekhaal Cusmaan Al-Marki are all banadiri gibil cad clans ,a gibil cad clan doesn't necessarily mean all members are lightskin,but it means clans of white origin (Arab and Persian) and the opposite is of black origin ( Bantu and Somali),a gibil madow could be completely lightskin and a gibil cad could look like an ethnic somali it differs from family to family

Can we talk about how somali baasto is superior? I’ve ate at italian restaurants and their food is dry and bland, why are they so hyped? Niggas literally have to add alcohol to their food to put the customers into a utopia so they think they feeling good from the cunto
Spit Out Adam Sandler GIF by Saturday Night Live
Very true, i have always said that authentic/real Italian food is very basic and bland. People don't believe me since what they mostly eat as 'italian' is really Italian-American food where more seasoning/sauces are used. Until they go to Italy to eat the real deal and very few have been impressed. I mean sure, the authentic food is fresher, simpler and lighter but they barely use seasoning/herbs/spices and even the sauces are used very little.

The authentic Italian pizza is very much thin crust and not that good compared to NYC pizza that's crustier and just tastier overall and what most people envision/eat as pizza.

It's only hyped up because it's the best European cuisine (although if you count Turkish as European than they have hands down the best food) but it can't compare to the diversity/variety of textures, flavours and types of dishes to Indian, Chinese, Thai, Mexican, Korean cuisines etc. It's not bad but not the greatest either.

Last edited:
Listen to me because I am getting quite tired of all this. I swear on my aabo and hooyo's names and Allah himself that I have never at any point lied to you, tried to mislead you or played any games with you. I am a grown man with a life and I don't have the time or energy for such nonsense and I am getting quite tired of all these jumpy accusations and insults you have not apologized for once like a man while you bleat constantly that I am the one disrespecting you when I only got snippy with you once in all our exchanges and immediately apologized for it. You are the one who openly admitted to me that you lied to me, that you tried to rile me up on purpose more than once and even called me a snake while even now accusing me of lying and now you want to play victim? This is ridiculous beyond belief.

I also remember our conversation well and I do recall you seemingly waving off the idea that Isaaqs were sailors which is why there's a whole section in my thread about them. I did not make that up. You are welcome to prove me wrong and share the rest of the conversation.

Don't play about with me, walaal. You very plainly did during our conversation and very plainly harshly yuss-ed Somalis and other Horners in comparison in a way that wasn't normal or fair. You didn't simply say "Yes, yes they were better at this and this cos they're closer to the fertile crescent." but plainly spoke like Somalis were savages and inherently somehow inferior "They didn't have it in them" was a phrase I plainly remember. And you even admitted later to speaking in those sorts of ways to "rile me up" and now you want to pretend you didn't and have always been measured? Spare me, walaal.

No one anywhere groups Cadcads with Gibil-Madow tribes or considers them a section of a Gibil-Madow tribe. These groups were firmly separate and did not so much as eat together in the times before modernization; something I have sourced and shown you. Even the Italians clearly separate who is who in the description section for each tribe of their censes as well as in the population numberings in the censes. There is only the very occasional case of something like counting the Dhabarweyne and Shaanshi, if I recall correctly right now, together in the census numbers, while firmly separating them in the description section, where we all just ignored such collations anyway and the Madows were still much more numerous in Xamar. But this is a totally non-sequitur tangent and irrelevant. I'll leave it be there and hope you do as well.

...What is this? You accuse me of lacking critical reading skills or being obtuse then go off on the strangest of straw-man tangents I've seen in a good while?

Listen, the point you were constantly trying to make originally was clearly that the Reer Maanyo are somehow mixed because they have some ajanabi genealogical claims. You were plainly trying to imply there were Cadcads in their midst and that they were not purely Somali like other Gibil-Madows. If not, what was even the point in pointing that stuff about their genealogies out? You just felt like telling me that some of them have non-Somali genealogies? Something I already knew? Why? Does it make them ajanabi? If they look Somali, speak Somali, are regarded as normal Somalis by other Somalis and themselves ("Gibil-Madow") and are probably like 90%+ Somali genetically then what the heck do the genealogies matter, man? Why would you emphasize that if not to imply they were mixed and part Cadcad or "foreign"?

And that point is simply moot. It is not true and has never historically been true. They were Gibil-Madow, as in physically indistinguishable from other Somalis, plain as day and there is not a single source I have ever seen that claims otherwise, and I already explained to you that having ajanabi geneaologies ≠ being Cadcad. To try and imply such is to be desperate to not admit that there was nothing Cadcad about the Reer Maanyo historically.

I don't even get why the Shaanshi or whatever other Cadcad group are relevant here. They have nothing to do with the Reer Maanyo beyond being fellow Banaadiri tribes. Where are you taking me, walaal? Enough with this. Either prove there was something Cadcad or genuinely non-Somali about the Reer Maanyo in a manner more than lets say the Carab Saalax or naga dhaaf. Tangentkan waa waste of time otherwise, akhi, and if I somehow misunderstood you and you were never making the point that they were "mixed" somehow then khalas then too; apologies and lets move on.

As I said earlier, I don't have the chat anymore but it seems you do so please share our conversation after that initial message. You can share it in its entirety. I don't mind. I quite recall you waving off the idea of Isaaq sailors. And my actions have been consistent with that in that I made a whole post about Isaaq sailors because you seemed dismissive about them even existing even after I pointed out that quote regarding the Warsangeli. If there was some misunderstanding on my part there then very well and I apologize but I plainly recall that and I am not lying. Stop being being so out of control with all the accussations and underhanded comments, man. You keep accussing me of being like a "naag" when you're the one constantly getting all dramatic with accussations of lying and hurling insults and it's just insane, walaal. Cadhi iska dhig.

Anyway, all of this aside, cafis and salam if you choose not to reply after this.
The biggest reer maanyo clan are Ba Mukhtar, there are 6 Reer maanyo clans
1-Ba Mukhtar (Reer Macow)
2-Shaawush
3-Reer Xasan
4-Reer Xaaji
5-Reer Caafi
6-Reer Cumar
First two are gibil cad Arab clans
While the rest are gibil madow although some sources say reer xasan are gibil cad.

Gibil madow isn't exclusive to cushite Somalis only but also bantus. Alot of the gibil madow banadiri groups have unknown origin except for the recent groups

The biggest reer maanyo clan are Ba Mukhtar, there are 6 Reer maanyo clans
1-Ba Mukhtar (Reer Macow)
2-Shaawush
3-Reer Xasan
4-Reer Xaaji
5-Reer Caafi
6-Reer Cumar
First two are gibil cad Arab clans
While the rest are gibil madow although some sources say reer xasan are gibil cad.

Gibil madow isn't exclusive to cushite Somalis only but also bantus. Alot of the gibil madow banadiri groups have unknown origin except for the recent groups
I've never heard gibil madow having bantu ancestry? Which ones?

I've never heard gibil madow having bantu ancestry? Which ones?
Gibil madow means dark skin ,it's not specific to cushitics, In xamar there's Reer Buurfule one of the iskaashato groups, one of the Dhabarweyne Wabaas clans also, and there's also gibil madow bantu groups in Reer maanyo although idk specifically which clan and which sub clan.

In marka same case there's gibil madow bantu reer maanyos,in barawa there's oojis.

Also the terms gibil madow and gibil cad were used along shabelle river particularly by bagadi and geledi confederacies.

Hes salty langaab Indian dont listen to him, he believes his merchants Indian people founded and created Mogadishu :ftw9nwa:
Indians never founded or even lived in a whole neighborhood to themselves in xamar, you won't find any old graves of Indians only Arabs and persians. Indians also built a 12er Shia masjid in xamarweyne meanwhile you won't see any masjids built by lamagoodles.

Gibil madow means dark skin ,it's not specific to cushitics, In xamar there's Reer Buurfule one of the iskaashato groups, one of the Dhabarweyne Wabaas clans also, and there's also gibil madow bantu groups in Reer maanyo although idk specifically which clan and which sub clan.

In marka same case there's gibil madow bantu reer maanyos,in barawa there's oojis.

Also the terms gibil madow and gibil cad were used along shabelle river particularly by bagadi and geledi confederacies.
Professor Mahamed Gaandi (AUN) and his team did extensive research into all Somali clans. The native madow of Merca have ethnic Somali lineage.

Professor Mahamed Gaandi (AUN) and his team did extensive research into all Somali clans. The native madow of Merca have ethnic Somali lineage.
I've seen that video there's lots of mistakes.

First of all it's called 12 koofi & Mashayikh;
Gibil cad:
Ashraaf Ba Alawi
Ashraaf Bin Hassan
Ashraaf Ahdali
Duruqba (Aqabi & Al-Bakri)
Gaameedle
Reer khadiib
Reer Maanyo(Ba Mukhtar)

Mashayikh:
Sheekhaal Gandarshe
Sheekhaal Jaziira
Sheekhaal Aw 'Uthmaan

Gibil Madow:
Shukureere
Fasaxaale(Sa'ad Biimaal)
Juunji(Hiraab Hawiye)
Garjante (Gardheere Samaale)
Reer Maanyo ;
Reer cumar (Garre)
Reer xasan (?)
Reer xaaji (?)

*The Mashaayikh clans are also Gibil cad

The professor says that the gibil madow were the original people when they themselves all claim to have arrived when gibil cads were already present.Juunji claim to have arrived from hiraab after biimaal came to south, Fasaxaale are Sa'ad Biimaal they're blacksmiths and looked down upon by their fellow biimaals. Shukureere claim to be of murusade origin tho it's not agreed upon, they claim their ancestor was an orphan found by a biimaal man.

He also says Duruqba are from Oman when it's only Al Bakri section,they came from 'Alaayat Samaa'il in 11th hijri century .
IMG_20210617_033016.jpg

Al-Aqabi the older section are from the older Arabs of the coast , prior to moving to marka they lived in xamar.

Oldest masaajid in marka are Masjid Al Jaami'ah,Masjid Muhammad 'Aafil,Masjid Awbaale all built by the same family who's descendants are now Reer khadiib.

Also the concept of afarta xamarweyne and Shanta shingaani was based on groups that lived in same neighbourhood or zone,Moorsho one of the xamarweyne confederacy is named after the neighbourhood moorsho. It's a confederacy of 4 Ajuran,2 hawiye and 2 Arab large families.Alot of the gibil madow families accross the coast claim to have only be in xamar for less than or around 12 generations with some of the most recents being only in xamar for 4 generations like reer xassan shiikhow in bandhawow, reer xaaji in shingaani etc.

I've seen that video there's lots of mistakes.

First of all it's called 12 koofi & Mashayikh;
Gibil cad:
Ashraaf Ba Alawi
Ashraaf Bin Hassan
Ashraaf Ahdali
Duruqba (Aqabi & Al-Bakri)
Gaameedle
Reer khadiib
Reer Maanyo(Ba Mukhtar)

Mashayikh:
Sheekhaal Gandarshe
Sheekhaal Jaziira
Sheekhaal Aw 'Uthmaan

Gibil Madow:
Shukureere
Fasaxaale(Sa'ad Biimaal)
Juunji(Hiraab Hawiye)
Garjante (Gardheere Samaale)
Reer Maanyo ;
Reer cumar (Garre)
Reer xasan (?)
Reer xaaji (?)

*The Mashaayikh clans are also Gibil cad

The professor says that the gibil madow were the original people when they themselves all claim to have arrived when gibil cads were already present.Juunji claim to have arrived from hiraab after biimaal came to south, Fasaxaale are Sa'ad Biimaal they're blacksmiths and looked down upon by their fellow biimaals. Shukureere claim to be of murusade origin tho it's not agreed upon, they claim their ancestor was an orphan found by a biimaal man.

He also says Duruqba are from Oman when it's only Al Bakri section,they came from 'Alaayat Samaa'il in 11th hijri century .View attachment 275996
Al-Aqabi the older section are from the older Arabs of the coast , prior to moving to marka they lived in xamar.

Oldest masaajid in marka are Masjid Al Jaami'ah,Masjid Muhammad 'Aafil,Masjid Awbaale all built by the same family who's descendants are now Reer khadiib.

Also the concept of afarta xamarweyne and Shanta shingaani was based on groups that lived in same neighbourhood or zone,Moorsho one of the xamarweyne confederacy is named after the neighbourhood moorsho. It's a confederacy of 4 Ajuran,2 hawiye and 2 Arab large families.Alot of the gibil madow families accross the coast claim to have only be in xamar for less than or around 12 generations with some of the most recents being only in xamar for 4 generations like reer xassan shiikhow in bandhawow, reer xaaji in shingaani etc.
I focused on the 6 madow since you mentioned them specifically. Professor Gaandi is a renowned scholar. His work corresponds with other documents.

If you believe Arabs/Persians populated Benadir coast before ethnic Somalis we have nothing further to discuss.

I focused on the 6 madow since you mentioned them specifically. Professor Gaandi is a renowned scholar. His work corresponds with other documents.

If you believe Arabs/Persians populated Benadir coast before ethnic Somalis we have nothing further to discuss.
Banadiri clans and families are well known amongst banadiris. Also alot of the clan structures written in books like shariif caydaruus's book don't exist anymore.

And yes Arabs resided in banaadir way before descendants of sab or samaale. There's a reason why there's graves from 2nd and 1st hijri century of Arabs,and why all the ancient masjids were built by Arabs, even the gibil madows don't claim to have built any ancient masjids they did expand some and refurbish them however. The fact that all the gibil madow samaale clans and families claim to be from larger tribes that live in the interior shows alot.

Banadiri clans and families are well known amongst banadiris. Also alot of the clan structures written in books like shariif caydaruus's book don't exist anymore.

And yes Arabs resided in banaadir way before descendants of sab or samaale. There's a reason why there's graves from 2nd and 1st hijri century of Arabs,and why all the ancient masjids were built by Arabs, even the gibil madows don't claim to have built any ancient masjids they did expand some and refurbish them however. The fact that all the gibil madow samaale clans and families claim to be from larger tribes that live in the interior shows alot.
I always wanted to know what did these early Arab and Persians eat if there were no inhabitants?
Was it fish?
The coast has no farming. The interiors of Afgooye and Merca support Xamar.

I always wanted to know what did these early Arab and Persians eat if there were no inhabitants?
Was it fish?
The coast has no farming. The interiors of Afgooye and Merca support Xamar.
The coast did have farming, especially in modern day xamar jajab which was initially an inhabited area however due to droughts and famines it was abandoned and over the years sand dunes covered it.
Screenshot_20230529_002640.jpg

The old masjids now in modern day xamar jajab district like masjid Shaykh Muraad,Masjid Xaaji Rajab which till this day still exist prove that it existed as an old settlement, there's definitely ancient masjids that got buried with sand dunes that are yet to be excavated.
Screenshot_20230529_003317.jpg

Here Shariif Caydaruus mentions an example of migrations to modern day xamar jajab, Faqih Abubakar travelled from Tarim to Muqdisho.
Screenshot_20230529_003936.jpg

Same story but difference in time and list of events.It says Faqih Abubakars daughter married a mirifle man when at that time (14-15th century )Mirifle clans were in modern day East Hararghe and Arsi zones of Ethiopia.
Screenshot_20230529_004053.jpg

The coast did have farming, especially in modern day xamar jajab which was initially an inhabited area however due to droughts and famines it was abandoned and over the years sand dunes covered it.
View attachment 276090
The old masjids now in modern day xamar jajab district like masjid Shaykh Muraad,Masjid Xaaji Rajab which till this day still exist prove that it existed as an old settlement, there's definitely ancient masjids that got buried with sand dunes that are yet to be excavated.
View attachment 276091

Here Shariif Caydaruus mentions an example of migrations to modern day xamar jajab, Faqih Abubakar travelled from Tarim to Muqdisho.
View attachment 276092

Same story but difference in time and list of events.It says Faqih Abubakars daughter married a mirifle man when at that time (14-15th century )Mirifle clans were in modern day East Hararghe and Arsi zones of Ethiopia.
View attachment 276094
The source you cited 'the origins and development of Mogadishu' argues the hinterland (Afgooye) played a crucial role in the development of the Benadir. You can't pick and choose parts from the text to support your claims, while ignoring others.

It's not clarified who the population in Xamar Jajab was, how extensive the supposed agriculture, time frame ect.