Is there much merit in a MEng for Computer Science?

hahaha you would be lucky to start on 30K as an engineer in the UK. Big 4 Accountancy probably pays slightly better than engineering. Those working in IB at Bulge Bracket and Elite Boutique firms will typically take 50-60K as base salary with bonuses going up to 100% of salary (as first year analysts - as you progress the compensation gets significantly more handsome)
That is awfully bleak, mate.

I am curious: what is the average rent of a 2 bedroom flat in, say E17?

But cost of living in Britain is rather high, no?

Postscript:
I was once conversing with an older Sikh man guarding a guest house I was staying in Bangalore, and was enquiring about life in general, mostly cost of living for the average person. I was glabberghasted when he said he was making 200 US dollar a month for a family of 7.

Earlier in the day at breakfast, a colleague and I were complaing about our bonuses that year, which was 15 times his annual salary.
London matches DC, im not sure about other cities
said firms do have a lot of perks; free medical and dental insurance, onsite gym etc- doesn't really bridge the gap though

seldiboy

Resident Eritrean | Ye's strongest soldier
That is awfully bleak, mate.

I am curious: what is the average rent of a 2 bedroom flat in, say E17?
I don’t actually reside in London. I am a Midlands lad born and raised but after purveying online it seems that a bottom of the barrel 2 bedroom flat in Walthamstow will fetch about 1.4K a month. That’s shocking to me since the 3 bedroom house I’m typing this in probably goes for half of that 😨

London matches DC, im not sure about other cities
said firms do have a lot of perks; free medical and dental insurance, onsite gym etc- doesn't really bridge the gap though
Not even close. mate. London is one of the most expensive cities on planet earth. I used to live in Fairfax, Virginia, and work in D.C., granted it is not quite on a par with the MidWest, but it still is much cheaper than London, I think, unless of course one lives in Brixton, or Harlesden.

Mozart

You need people like me
hahaha you would be lucky to start on 30K as an engineer in the UK. Big 4 Accountancy probably pays slightly better than engineering. Those working in IB at Bulge Bracket and Elite Boutique firms will typically take 50-60K as base salary with bonuses going up to 100% of salary (as first year analysts - as you progress the compensation gets significantly more handsome)
Bonuses were 50% this year. If Ibd is what you want, do whatever course you’re better at. If you think you’ll want to go into software engineering/machine learning do computer science.

I went to UCL and many Somali’s seem to do Chem Eng.

Not even close. mate. London is one of the most expensive cities on planet earth. I used to live in Fairfax, Virginia, and work in D.C., granted it is not quite on a par with the MidWest, but it still is much cheaper than London, I think, unless of course one lives in Brixton, or Harlesden.
when I researched the cost of living calculator comparing DC and London, it was pretty similar
the salary was better in London though so maybe you're right

seldiboy

Bonuses were 50% this year. If Ibd is what you want, do whatever course you’re better at. If you think you’ll want to go into software engineering/machine learning do computer science.

I went to UCL and many Somali’s seem to do Chem Eng.
Yeah I heard bonuses were brutal.
Many Somalis at UCL. Glad to see they formed their own society however I am disappointed that my habesha brothers didn’t take the initiative to do so themselves

seldiboy

im doing a law degree and then I'm going to work for a itl commercial law firm- as a trainee you do different seats like in tax, mergers and acquisitions etc and then you pick a field
How does your uni rank? I know that recruitment for commerical law is brutal

seldiboy

idk what g5 is but its one of the higher ranking RGs
G5 aka the Golden Triangle. Oxbridge, Imperial, UCL, LSE and KCL (although I don’t think KCL should be there at all. Very noticeable fall from grace recently). If you are upper tier RG you should be fine. Things start to get dicy once you fall below the realms of Uni of Birmingham

Trending

Latest posts