is there a somali word for strawberries?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apollo

VIP
I think there should be a rule in Af-Soomaali, any modern word Somali lacks = borrow the MSA Arabic equivalent.

Farawla sounds much better than f*ckin Istaroberi.

I think there should be a rule in Af-Soomaali, any modern word Somali lacks = borrow the MSA Arabic equivalent.

Farawla sounds much better than f*ckin Istaroberi.

Why not just make up a word for it like any proud ethnic group would do?

Arabic is in the same language family as Somali and loanwords from it make more sense than from English which often has sounds not found in Somali.

Isn't Hausa and many other West African languages in the same language family as the Somali language? Maybe we should get some words from them too.

Apollo

VIP
Isn't Hausa in the same language family as the Somali language? Maybe we should get some words from them too.

Hausa is filled with Yoruba (Niger-Congo) loanwords, it has sounds not found in Somali, again. Also, it makes no sense and you are being ridiculous.

Arabic has a rich literary culture. It is more advanced than any other Afro-Asiatic language, hence borrowing from them makes the most sense.

Hausa is filled with Yoruba (Niger-Congo) loanwords, it has sounds not found in Somali, again. Also, it makes no sense and you are being ridiculous.

Arabic has a rich literary culture. It is more advanced than any other Afro-Asiatic language, hence borrowing from them makes the most sense.

Arab words also have sounds not familiar in Somali.

Stop begging the Arabs.

Apollo

VIP

Stop begging the Arabs.

It overlaps with Somali pronunciation more so than any other major advanced language relevant to Somalis.

Swahili - no.
Amharic - no.
Persian - no.
English - no.
Italian - no.
Arabic - mostly.

Stop begging the Arabs.

all Arab points of articulation are found in the Somali language .i can't think of any sound or letter in Arabic that would be problematic for a somali speaker .arabic becomes problematic when trying to adopt a script ,hence why the Somali committee during the time of bare chose to adopt a Latin script instead .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts