Is the Sheikh label being thrown around too lightly by Somalis

TekNiKo

“I am an empathic and emotionally-aware person.
VIP
Some kid I know who went to Medina Islamic university comes back now and everyone is calling him a sheikh, even his youtube and facebook live have "sheikh" in them.

Since when did a 4 year graduate from a islamic school earn the title of sheikh? Sheikhs used to be known as old men who spent 40 years or 30 years studying Islam. The true sheikhs hate to be called sheikhs and humble themselves.

This is getting ridiculous and out of control. Every tom, dick and harry who learns a few arabic words and didn't even finish the qur'an is now being called sheikh.:snoop:

I want to hear @Inquisitive_ opinion on this, I think this is contributing to the decay of standards set by men of old.:sitdown:

TekNiKo

“I am an empathic and emotionally-aware person.
VIP
We would have less of these charlatans if the process were more rigorous.
Back in the old days you'd have to go through a rigiorous xeer study with your sheikh for decades before even being acknowledged as a sheikh, now a days you can simply claim your a sheikh after knowing a few hadiths and ayahs.

Umm-al-Dhegdheeriyaa

Run and I’ll catch you and eat you alive
I swear these days not only do they get the title quickly, they also implement their own rulings in regards to Islamic law. Maybe it’s a sign of yawm al qiyamah, where we no longer have people who are knowledgable and teach Islam well.

Back in the old days you'd have to go through a rigiorous xeer study with your sheikh for decades before even being acknowledged as a sheikh, now a days you can simply claim your a sheikh after knowing a few hadiths and ayahs.
It could become problematic in the future because it would affect the standard of how the mainstream practice the religion. That's how Christianity became so lax and highly arbitrary. But what separates us from them is that we have certain mechanisms that help us not deviate from the fundamentals.

Crow

Make Hobyo Great Again
VIP
We should aim for a system back home in which religious instruction is regulated by the government and anyone who graduates with a PhD in Islamic studies can earn the title of Aw (like how a PhD in anything generally earns you the title of doctor).

You know that anyone with Aw in their lineage is descended from a real sheikh. This is a good way to maintain the prestige that title holds.

The rest can continue to use the title of sheikh.

Vanessa

Support interracial love 💕
VIP
We should aim for a system back home in which religious instruction is regulated by the government and anyone who graduates with a PhD in Islamic studies can earn the title of Aw (like how a PhD in anything generally earns you the title of doctor).

You know that anyone with Aw in their lineage is descended from a real sheikh. This is a good way to maintain the prestige that title holds.

The rest can continue to use the title of sheikh.
What does aw means?

I was referred to as Shiekh a couple of times I tried giving advice to people and quickly shot it down and let them know the weight that title holds. Many people are unaware of the dembi that comes along with acting as a representative of the religion.

Trending

Latest posts