Is Julius Caesar the greatest general of all time?

The sword of Allah, Khalid bin Walid
Nah, he is not better than Caesar. In fact he isn’t better than Hannibal of Carthage. Khalid defeated the sassanid and Byzantine armies when they were at their worst. Infact, the Byzantine remained long after his death about 800 years more. Caesar conquered the Gauls. The battle of Alesia alone is the greatest reason he is the best of the best.

Numbers don’t mean that much tho. Eg alexander decimated the whole Persian empire in just 4 battles.
I agree with you on that point. However, Napoleon was very close to uniting continental Europe and could've won Russia had he not lingered in Moscow for too long as winter came closer.

Arguably, compared to other historical European leaders Napoleon came the closest to uniting Europe through conquest; Napoleon's quote "I wished to found a European system, a European Code of Laws, a European judiciary: there would be but one people in Europe" pretty much sums up his intention to recreate the Roman Empire and coalesce all Europeans into one Nation.

Last edited:
Hannibal

The Romans kept having nightmares about Hannibal for a long time after his death.
The battle of lake trasamine is the greatest ambush, he wiped out entire Roman army and the consul. :damn: How can I forget cannae where he killed more than20% of Roman adult population about 86000

TekNiKo

“I am an empathic and emotionally-aware person.
VIP
Adolf Hitler, he had whole world against and lost due to winter in Stalingrad

GemState

36/21
VIP
I agree with you on that point. However, Napoleon was very close to uniting continental Europe and could've won Russia had he not lingered in Moscow for too long as winter came closer.

Arguably, compared to other historical European leaders Napoleon came the closest to uniting Europe through conquest; Napoleon's quote "I wished to found a European system, a European Code of Laws, a European judiciary: there would be but one people in Europe" pretty much sums up his intention to recreate the Roman Empire and coalesce all Europeans into one Nation.
Besides Alexander the Great, who else could compete with the darling of Venus, Julius Caesar?
Another thing is that Napoleon came from very humble beginnings. Caesar came from a very, very old and prominent Roman family. His father was a senator that governed the province of Asia and they already had connections to the elite in the Republic. Alexander's father Philip of Macedon, conquered most of Greece and became the Hegemon of the region, in addition to also reforming the Macedonian army. He even planned the actual invasion of Persia before he got assassinated, a plan that Alexander carried out.

Napoleon had none of that, and rose his way to the top in the era of Absolute Monarchies & Divine Right of Kings just through the merit of his own genius, he then he made all his siblings monarchs in their own right of places like Naples, Spain, Holland, etc. He lived an unbelievable life

Trending

Latest posts