Is it common for a guy to call girl walaal/walaaley if he’s trying to get to know her?

A Mean Guy

Minister of Ajanabi Affairs
This is the second thread you made about this topic. :dead:
If it really bothers you let him know to stop calling you that. I understand why it puts you off, it sounds like he is talking to you like his sister.
He might also be trying to tread carefully by not using any romantic words. Some girls also get put off when the guy uses words like; macaanto, habibti e.t.c.,

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Last edited:

Yaraye

VIP
Once I was trying to be extra nice to a somali guy who did me a favor, so I called him aboowe. I just wanted to show that i appreciated what he did for me, but realized that the moment the word left my lips how flirty it sounded :holeup: never again :drakekidding: As a girl who has no brothers, i don't know what to call men. So i just call them by their name. That's the whole reason they got a name to begin with ye? :umad:

Last edited:

Yaraye

VIP
If it really bothers you let him know to stop calling you that. I understand why it puts you off, it sounds like he is talking to you like his sister.
He might also be trying to tread carefully by not using any romantic words. Some girls also get put off when the guy uses words like; macaanto, habibti e.t.c.,

xiin-finiin

general of ciidamada sida raha ubooda
Tbh for some reason it puts me off lol maybe it just because of our different dialects 🤔
my mom/dad call each other walaal so its normal lol. i think it's just that somalis feel repulsed by all this "cute" talk like babe, darling, etc. the best you're gonna get out of them is walaal or huuno.

Yusuf Abdi Ali Rashid

King of Prussia
I forgot to add, while i always respect what they wanna be called they always fail to do the same. I told a girl to refer to me as Sir Twinkleton Tempest of Tar Valon. She just pointed and laughed at me.

Hodan from HR

Be Kind Online.
Staff Member

I am guilty of doing this.
Doesnt matter if I'm a day older :drakelaugh: