Is Baadiye a loan word?

I’m not arguing about Garaad, I’m arguing about Geyi. I’m also not Xabashi at all, but someone who believes in honest scholarship, so lay off the personal attacks
I asked you about the word ( Garaad ) because it is in the book ( Strata in Loanwords from Arabic and other semitic Languages in Northern Somali ) YOU cited and SAYS
the word ( Geyi ) is Harari .​

Find out if it is in other Cushitic languages. :icon lol:
Idk but I speak afaan Oromo and af Somali, a lot of “Somali” words and names are just Cushitic words and names, it’s just Somalis on here are too narcissistic and egotistical to admit they have similarities to oromos and afars in a lot of ways

NidarNidar

Punisher
My friend, you cannot ignore the Arab influence on the Somali language. Many words related to herding come from the Arabs, and do not forget that the Somalis took camels and goats And horses from the Arabs.
Goats came with the original proto Cushitic people from the Red Sea hills, camels already existed in the horn, and the practice of camel domestication most likely came from across the Red Sea, probably from T carrying Somalis, who probably migrated from Mesopotamia.

We need more archaeologists and more of us tested to find the truth.

Northern Swordsman

Tawxiid Alle lahaw, Talo na Alle saaro.
The word baadiye comes from the somali word 'baadi' or 'baad'

baadi
(m.dh)

1. (m.u) Wax lumay sida xoolo, lacag iwm. 2. Qof ka weecday waddada toosan.

baad
(m.l)

1. Caws, caleen, xaab iwm oo ay xooluhu daaqaan; daaq.

Hence we can conclude that word baadiye means nothing less than miyiga and duurka which in simple terms means

baadiye
(m.l)
1; meel xooluhu ku daaqaan, daaq. 2; meel lagu lumo, duurka, miyiga.

Not every word that sounds and looks similar to Arabic words is an Arabic loan word.

it comes from the word: BAADI.
Somali dictionary:
baadi 1. (m.u) Wax lumay sida xoolo, lacag iwm. 2. Qof ka weecday waddada toosan

Something which is lost such as animals, money etc.

A person can also become “Baadi” when he has little or no animals left and thus needs help from other nomads.

Other uses:
someone who has become lost from the right path.

Baadicarar- a lost animal who has fled from its owners.
Baadiye: extensive wilderness
Some people need to realise that some cognates from persian exist in english, both which are Indo-European. Somali is Afro-asiatic like semetic languages.

My friend, you cannot ignore the Arab influence on the Somali language. Many words related to herding come from the Arabs, and do not forget that the Somalis took camels and goats And horses from the Arabs.
There are some words that we share with arabic and these words arent from arabic in origin but rather from the same Afro-Asiatic roots

Trending