is anyone else attracted to geeljires?

I just find them so handsome especially with the traditional clothes and that ul
4080804116_bfc369c09a_b.jpg

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
bruhh u telling e this ain't, tf not a of us wear baggy clothing most geeljires wore white macawis and go, for fighting, it's easier than baggy clothings
View attachment 211574
View attachment 211575
View attachment 211576
View attachment 211577
View attachment 211578
That was sometimes when they were getting down to business or doing laborious work but overall, on a random chill day they liked to wear their robes like togas. This has been pretty detailedly recorded by people who met and saw them during the 19th and 20th centuries, saaxiib:

The Tobe, or Abyssinian “Quarry,” is the general garment of Africa from Zayla to Bornou. In the Somali country it is a cotton sheet eight cubits long, and two breadths sewn together. An article of various uses, like the Highland plaid, it is worn in many ways; sometimes the right arm is bared; in cold weather the whole person is muffled up, and in summer it is allowed to full below the waist. Generally it is passed behind the back, rests upon the left shoulder, is carried forward over the breast, surrounds the body, and ends hanging on the left shoulder, where it displays a gaudy silk fringe of red and yellow. This is the man’s Tobe. The woman’s dress is of similar material, but differently worn: the edges are knotted generally over the right, sometimes over the left shoulder; it is girdled round the waist, below which hangs a lappet, which in cold weather can be brought like a hood over the head. Though highly becoming, and picturesque as the Roman toga, the Somali Tobe is by no means the most decorous of dresses: women in the towns often prefer the Arab costume,—a short-sleeved robe extending to the knee, and a Futah or loin-cloth underneath. -First footsteps in East Africa

They generally carried around some cloth like this and wore it whatever way was convenient at any given time. Hence the nickname for them by their usually reer magaal relatives like "Lamagoodle" (having two cloths) or "Maryoole" (having cloth).

this 100x better than that baggy things

View attachment 211579

Niyahow, look at what you're posting. They're literally wearing exactly what I posted with just the upper half, in some cases, tied around their waists.

That was sometimes when they were getting down to business or doing laborious work but overall, on a random chill day they liked to wear their robes like togas. This has been pretty detailedly recorded by people who met and saw them during the 19th and 20th centuries, saaxiib:

They generally carried around some cloth like this and wore whatever way was convenient at any given time. Hence the nickname for them by their usually reer magaal relatives like "Lamagoodle" (having two cloths) or "Maryoole" (having cloth).
bruhhh, lama goodle could also mean go and white skirt, i don't know about u on but almost all my clan wore white skirt and Go, all cushitic wear dat white skirt
most norherners were skirt and not baggy clothings
1641822721423.png

1641822771608.png

Last edited:

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
One question I have is why are they still carrying spears well into the 19th century lol?
Probably just tradition and sticking to old ways. What I find interesting is how much armor seems to have disappeared probably with the introduction of guns. In the 16th century the Futux al-Xabasha makes it clear that the both the Muslim forces heavily populated by Somalis and the Christian Xabash wore everything from chainmail to breast plates to iron helmets:

Armor was used by pre-early modern Horners. In the Futuh al-Habasha we are told of "iron and steel" armor, of armor for horses, of helmets and chainmail as well as breastplates and so forth:

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

You can see clearly that the Muslims like the Somalis and the Christian Abyssinians all had things like chainmail, breastplates and iron helmets as well as armor for their horses. All of this just probably fell out of fashion when guns were introduced.

By the 19th century, though, even Xabashis seem to have completely abandoned armor:

1I7yr3q.jpg
h4jrCw3.jpg
8LNfe7u.jpg
qxvq51f.jpg

Probably just tradition and sticking to old ways. What I find interesting is how much armor seems to have disappeared probably with the introduction of guns. In the 16th century the Futux al-Xabasha makes it clear that the both the Muslim forces heavily populated by Somalis and the Christian Xabash wore everything from chainmail to breast plates to iron helmets:

By the 19th century, though, even Xabashis seem to have completely abandoned armor:

1I7yr3q.jpg
h4jrCw3.jpg
8LNfe7u.jpg
qxvq51f.jpg
would love to see the armor sad it gone forever

World

VIP
One question I have is why are they still carrying spears well into the 19th century lol?
Tbh, spears were effective until artillery and machine guns were invented in the 20th century. The Maximin machine gun was very deadly and what the British used in the Darawiish wars, they would have got swarmed and easily defeated otherwise.

World

VIP

1I7yr3q.jpg
h4jrCw3.jpg
8LNfe7u.jpg
qxvq51f.jpg
I don’t think Somali nomads ever wore armor, the settled Muslim kingdoms may have been ruled by Somalis and had urbanised Somalis along with other Muslim ethnicities, but they are a different people to Somali nomads.

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
I don’t think Somali nomads ever wore armor, the settled Muslim kingdoms may have been ruled by Somalis and had urbanised Somalis along with other Muslim ethnicities, but they are a different people to Somali nomads.
If you mean day to day nomads about their business just wearing chainmail or plate then I doubt that too. Not like that was the case with Bedouins either. But read the book, walaal. Doesn't give the impression that the thousands of men in the Imam's army and the previous Walashma dynasty's army are all some well-off reer magaals. The majority come off as pretty tribal reer miyi types to me and they all seemed to have armor.

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
bruhhh, lama goodle could also mean go and white skirt, i don't know about u on but almost all my clan wore white skirt and Go, all cushitic wear dat white skirt
most norherners were skirt and not baggy clothings
View attachment 211581
View attachment 211582

I don't know what we're arguing about, walaal. They wore 1-2 cloths they had pretty much however they pleased at any given time in both the north and the south. The first saaxiib I shared was a Daraawiish from Woqooyi and I'm fairly certain you shared one or two saaxiibs from Koonfur yourself earlier. I ought to know, I collected those pictures years ago.

Even in your pics you can see what I'm talking about where they either let the upper half of their large cloth fall down or tie it around their waist so as to probably keep it out of the way when fighting or doing anything laborious then they also wear the upper baggy half or have a second cloth for that:

gxJc0Vh.png
UcmboHo.png

The same thing occurred in Koonfur plenty:

AwjE8qJ.jpg

These same types of people would either choose to continue to wear it like that or like this:

OmTX1X2.jpg

There is nothing I've seen in any literature from either local or ajanabi scholars that says there was some established "white macawiis" style that was separate from the style of wearing these white cloths like Greco-Roman togas which seems the most common everywhere from north to south. And this wasn't even the only two ways people wore them as you can see above in the pics both you and I shared. Maryooles wore the stuff however they pleased at any given time probably due to convenience or preference.

But again, look at this example from Majeerteenia:

001hVCS.jpg

When just chilling the man wears the upper "baggy" half you keep mentioning but when the man is ready to fight with his spear and shield he takes off the upper half and seems to tie it around his waist, probably for convenience. The "baggy" toga-esque style of wearing the cloths was ubiquitous everywhere and very common, though. But then again so were some other styles like having one cloth like a "skirt" and another separate one for your upperbody when you wanted it.

Last edited:

World

VIP
If you mean day to day nomads about their business just wearing chainmail or plate then I doubt that too. Not like that was the case with Bedouins either. But read the book, walaal. Doesn't give the impression that the thousands of men in the Imam's army and the previous Walashma dynasty's army are all some well-off reer magaals. The majority come off as pretty tribal reer miyi types to me and they all seemed to have armor.
It could have been that the Imam and the previous dynasty supplied the tribal men with armor for the war.

Trending