Interesting Buraanbur

Hodan from HR

Be Kind Online.
Staff Member
I found someone who understands some parts of the song. It praises and talks about the traits of the groom

Last part of chorus; Dayaxa mooye, daweylaha langaa sharee

Dayax-star daweey-winds; I don't know how to direct translate but something about him reaching the stars and the bad winds not coming his way.

1.02- Imadilo imadagalo wax imadiro, sida bilawa ragu berka igu hayaa ; He doesn't beat me, he doesn't fight me and he doesn't order me around, like how men keep the bilawa (a type traditional dagger) close to their liver

1.38- Ma tusbax baad rogatee mise tii alaat kutimid, ayaan badanow oo ayaa kushegey shankaroon inanta yada; Did you pray for her or you came here by God's grace? O you lucky one, who told you about our daughter shankaroon?

Dayuum!
The language is so rich esp if you break down and try to understand each part separately. It has a story which kinda builds up. Very interesting walahi. I hope to one day be able to understand these type of somali poetry/songs without needing translation help 🙏😇

Hodan from HR

Be Kind Online.
Staff Member
2.39 Describes physical attributes of the bride. I am assuming this is what was considered attractive physical traits in somali culture

Ma tima dhertahay oo timir awdal ma uegtahay, ma af madow dahay ilkuhu qalin maka cadhyihin ; Does she have long hair that look like the dates of awdal, are her lips black and teeth sparkly white?

QueenofKings

Kick in the door wavin the .44
It’s nice. I didn’t even know buraanbur could sound like this, I thought what made it buraanbur was the distinct rhythm/beats.

one

ᶜᵃʷᵒ ᶜᵃʷˡᵒ
That's not buraanbur. It's hees. And by hees, I'm not necessarily talking about modern Somali music lol.

Hees is just an umbrella name for lighter poems. There are heello heeso(and dances), traditional wedding heeso(and dances) like the video posted in this thread, heeso hawleed(work songs), heeso ciyaareed(dance songs like dhaanto), lullabies and various other genres of heeso.

That's not buraanbur. It's hees. And by hees, I'm not necessarily talking about modern Somali music lol.

Hees is just an umbrella name for lighter poems. There are heello heeso(and dances), traditional wedding heeso(and dances) like the video posted in this thread, heeso hawleed(work songs), heeso ciyaareed(dance songs like dhaanto), lullabies and various other genres of heeso.
this is why we need cultural learning schools in the west , the culture cannot be saved forever by word of mouth

Boqorada

F*ck Your Feelings
I have such a soft spot for Safiya. I know her more for her riwaayads than her music but still a legend.

Trending