Intellectual thread

Yahya

2020 GRANDMASTER
VIP
I noticed that this section doesn't get much love.

Please help me out and link some useful links to various topics you think a young man should learn about. It can be literally anything from scientific to philosophical. I'm trying to improve my skills in debating and need to be very well versed on various general topics in order to effectively form good arguments.

My news years resulution is one i would like lots of young somalis to adopt. That is that i swore to dedicate atleast 3 hours every week to reading about various topics to increase my general intellect. Take my word for it, just a few well schedualed hours a week and you'll be surprised at how much information you can soak up with dedication.

Link books. Articles or any theories you find interesting. Feel free to help each other and lets become knowledgable together.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Yahya

2020 GRANDMASTER
VIP
What's your educational background?

burirsqq08i21.jpg

AhmedSmelly

I am an offical nacas. too honest
I wont be providing you with anything good. You can try this geeljires recommendations, not that you will find anything beneficial to yourself. Next time, add me in the intellectual bracket.

They all provided you with ancient stuff, this hippies :chrisfreshhah::chrisfreshhah::drakelaugh:

Not the books, you were after.:pachah1: KKKKkkkkk:lolbron:

AhmedSmelly

I am an offical nacas. too honest
@Yahya a lets establish some facts about you.

- Muslim, Male, English speaker

So because you are a Muslim and you are in a website where you debate people, I will give you a book that could assist you in your intellectual debates.

For an answer to be valid, it has to be islamically valid first.

You also need to know how our religion handles difficult topics. So people cant use that against you. If you dont have a strong fundamental surface to stand on, you will be mesmerized by their words.

This books doesn't go deep into the technicalities, so dive straight in. They aren't free, but they are worth it.

1. Slavery and Islam Hardcover Jonathan A.C. Brown

2.Kalam Cosmological Arguments Paperback Mr Mohammed Hijab

This is very important subject to learn, Orientalism. How the Western world uses their point of view to explain Islam and how Islam interacts with the world. Orientalist never do a good job, in depicting Islam as it is. They always project Islam from how they think it is,

Read this book Orientalism by Edward W. Said. It will fit your criteria very well.

Please lets discuss what you have read with me. Make a thread about it after you are finished. So I can correct you, if the need arises.

Figo

|Garowe|Jalam|Galkacyo|
VIP
Reading for short periods and taking breaks.
Do you read things you’re interested in or just about anything you get your hands on?

I get bored real quick if the subjects do not interest me in a book/articles/magazines :bell:

Any idea on how to fix this?

Nalle

🥰🥰🥰
How do you guys remember the information you read?
Do you read things you’re interested in or just about anything you get your hands on?

I get bored real quick if the subjects do not interest me in a book/articles/magazines :bell:

Any idea on how to fix this?
It depends on the information you’re trying to memorize. I find it easier to keep and remember information if it is something that I’m genuinely interested in.

Otherwise I do write key words down and I like to sit at different places and associate whatever I’m reading with certain things in my environment.

When it comes to subjects that are boring I actually do not my waste my time on solely reading it, I try to find videos about it and audiobooks and then try to read summaries and key chapters or pages.

If it is plain memorizing, like a lot of quiz-like question and answers I would totally recommend using excel programs.

How do you guys remember the information you read?
Reading it in the morning after fajr. Most brain performs 100% on reading early in the morning. Read 20-50 pages, each day and in 30 days your discipline will be on point. Always read things that doesn't interest you, the best thing about life is finding new interests. Remember start slowly, and after 30 days increase your reading time from 1 hour to 2 hours.

Remember smart people, became smart through either genetics or discipline or both.

Helios

Certified Liin Distributor
AQOONYAHAN
VIP
Read about topics you enjoy, I really love politics and philosophy and history and sociology etc. It is easier for me to remember because it’s so interesting compared to biology which I hate.
:rejoice:

Figo

|Garowe|Jalam|Galkacyo|
VIP
It depends on the information you’re trying to memorize. I find it easier to keep and remember information if it is something that I’m genuinely interested in.

Otherwise I do write key words down and I like to sit at different places and associate whatever I’m reading with certain things in my environment.

When it comes to subjects that are boring I actually do not my waste my time on solely reading it, I try to find videos about it and audiobooks and then try to read summaries and key chapters or pages.

If it is plain memorizing, like a lot of quiz-like question and answers I would totally recommend using excel programs.
Thanks for the feedback sxb. :salute:
I’ll take some of your ideas.

My news years resulution is one i would like lots of young somalis to adopt. That is that i swore to dedicate atleast 3 hours every week to reading about various topics to increase my general intellect. Take my word for it, just a few well schedualed hours a week and you'll be surprised at how much information you can soak up with dedication.

Any luck with that? I assume you have more time now to focus on this because of the whole quarantine situation.

I think i've started to do this. My tip would be to write down any passing thoughts that seem interesting, it could be anything. I usually get my ideas when I day dream, travel or even my shower thoughts and research them later on when you have the time.