Insight into 19th century North West Somalia, Ethiopian female slaves, Indians, and Arab wives in Ze

Status
Not open for further replies.
2eatc8i.jpg

The Galla Savages decimated the great Nation of Geri Kombe:wow:

Who are the Barsuugs :cosbyhmm: I know the Usbiyahan are Darood and there several Cagdheer sub clans called Bah Usbayahan .

Marehan clan living near Harar :ohhh:

The Barsuugs are an old Dir clan that joined the Oromo confederation after suffering at the hands of the Egyptians and Habashis that came to control the Harar region. They are also mentioned in Futuh Al Habash as Barsub. As Richard Burton highlights, further down in the page you posted, all the Somali clans in the mountainous area of Harar are Dir or Darood with the exception of the Sheekhal.

The Marehan still live in the Hararghe area and even further inside the Oromo Zone. They are the remnants of an older Marehan presence in the Harar area during the Ahmed Gurey era.

2eatc8i.jpg

The Galla Savages decimated the great Nation of Geri Kombe:wow:

Who are the Barsuugs :cosbyhmm: I know the Usbiyahan are Darood and there several Cagdheer sub clans called Bah Usbayahan .

Marehan clan living near Harar :ohhh:
We've lived there for 100's of years but most of us don't live there anymore.

The Barsuugs are an old Dir clan that joined the Oromo confederation after suffering at the hands of the Egyptians and Habashis that came to control the Harar region. They are also mentioned in Futuh Al Habash as Barsub. As Richard Burton highlights, further down in the page you posted, all the Somali clans in the mountainous area of Harar are Dir or Darood with the exception of the Sheekhal.

The Marehan still live in the Hararghe area and even further inside the Oromo Zone. They are the remnants of an older Marehan presence in the Harar area during the Ahmed Gurey era.
Nur ibn Mujahid's descendants still live there from what I have heard :nvjpqts:

Sultan

I am the Sultan
The Eesa, probably the most powerful branch of the Somali nation, extends northwards to the Wayma family of the Dankali; southwards to the Gudabirsi, and midway between Zayla and Berberah; eastwards it is bounded by the sea, and westwards by the Gallas around Harar. It derives itself from Dirr and Aydur, without, however, knowing aught beyond the ancestral names, and is twitted with paganism by its enemies.Cited from First footsteps in East Africa,byRichard F. Burton

The number is said to be small, amounting to about 100 families in the northern Somali country.The Tomal or Handad, the blacksmiths, originally of Aydur race, have become vile by intermarriage with serviles.Cited from First footsteps in East Africa,byRichard F. Burton

The old and pagan genealogies still known to the Somal, are Dirr, Aydur, Darud, and, according to some, Hawiyah.Cited from First footsteps in East Africa,byRichard F. Burton

According to some, Dirr was the father of Aydur; others make Dirr (it has been written Tir and Durr) to have been the name of the Galla family into which Shaykh Ishak married.Cited from First footsteps in East Africa,byRichard F. Burton

Cruttenden applies the term Edoor (Aydur) to the descendants of Ishak, the children of Gerhajis, Awal, and Jailah.Cited from First footsteps in East Africa,byRichard F. Burton

The Gudabirsi, or Gudabursi, derive themselves from Dir and Aydur, thus claiming affinity with the Eesa: others declare their tribe to be an offshoot from the Bahgoba clan of the Habr Awal, originally settled near Jebel Almis, and Bulhar, on the sea-shore. …Cited from First footsteps in East Africa,byRichard F. Burton

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts