Inhabitants of old Baraawe/Mwiini

Baraawe is a town located in the lower shabelle province in Somalia and is known to be the most southern town of the benadir coast. The city welcomed various settlers throughout history until to this very day, but in this thread I want to describe the main groups that lived within the old city before the 20th century ( the part that is surrounded by the city walls and is made up of the quarters Mpai and Biruni, as modern-day barawe is much larger). Reason for making this thread is, that there seems to be much discussion on this site on who the old inhabitants of the benadir coast were and I wanted to shed some light on this subject as a native of the area myself.

The Hamarani and The Ashraaf

The Hamarani are descendants of arab settlers in the region and speak a dialect of Swahili known as Chimwiini. In their language they identify themselves as "Wantu wa Mwiini"/ "people of Baraawe". They are divided into two groups, the Bidaa and the Hatimi. The Hatimi claim desced from the Hatim tribe of Yemen and the Bidaa are a confederacy of several arab clans that claim descend form many arab tribes like the Amawi, Qahtani and several others. They used to make up half of the population of the city in the beginning of the 20th century but nowadays are minority only found in the Mpai quarter.
A much smaller community that also claimed arab descend are known as the Ashraaf. They are mostly very recent immigrants from the 17th century and claim to be descendants of Ali and Fatima.

The Tunni

In the 19th century, the Tunni clan of the Somali made up half of the population of Baraawe. They are known as Shan Gamas (the five subclans) and these subclans were the Dafaradhi, Goigali, Dakhtira, Wirile, and Hajuwa. The urban Tunni retained close ties with their brethren outside the city walls that constituted the bulk of the population of the surrounding areas. But there were big cultural differences between the urban Tunni and the rest of the Tunni clan, as the former intermarried with the Hamarani and spoke the Swahili dialect Chimwiini and not Af Tunni.

Who used to rule the city?

It seems like Baraawe was a city state for most of its history and was jointly ruled by a council of elders of the different groups of people that lived there. In the 19th century, the council consisted of seven groups known as the "toddoba tol". These were made up of the five subclans of the Tunni, the Bidaa and Hatimi. It seems that under the rulership of the portugese and omanis the city still had its autonomy and the system of governance stayed the same in the city over the hundreds of years up to the 19th century. It was only in the 1880's that the sultanate of zanzibar appointed a man from the Dafaradhi subclan of the Tunni, who traditionally are the leaders/"sultans" of the Tunni people, as a representative of all groups in the city and this position was called the "shaykh al-balad" and exists to this very day.

Sources:
I mostly used these two texts and my own knowledge on the traditions of the city I got from my parents.
Kassim, M., 1993. The Banadir Coast Its Peoples and Their Cultural History.
Vianello, A. and Kassim, M., 2006. Servants of the Sharia

no somali land was ruled by Portuguese ajuraan beat them up
Not really my friend, they ruled for years indirectly as they forced the people of baraawe to pay tribute to them or else they would attack the city. But they did not have a base in the city, most of their troops were stationed in Mombassa. Also the ajuuraan never directly ruled baaawe, us Tunni just used to pay tribute to them when they were at their greatest extent of their power.

What’s this somali fetish of being controlled by portugal acuudubillah I can’t stand you people
It's the truth my friend, you're not a coon because you tell about an event that happened .I don't want to be a qabilist but unlike mostly Darood and Hawiye Somali nationalists, we Reewin are not people that will falsify history just so we can feel better about ourselves. Us Somali have a great history, but that doesn't mean that we were never defeated.

The Portuguese controlled Barawe for a brief period of time thus the fact some Barawanis are mixed with Portuguese

Did most tunnis mix with barawanis or just the urban ones ?
only the urban ones in baraawe, the other tunni never had that much contact with the reer barwani. There was a wall in the old days in Baraawe and the people inside the wall separated themselves from those from outside the wall. The urban Tunni and the reer Barwani used to look down on the Tunni outside of Baraawe.

only the urban ones in baraawe, the other tunni never had that much contact with the reer barwani. There was a wall in the old days in Baraawe and the people inside the wall separated themselves from those from outside the wall. The urban Tunni and the reer Barwani used to look down on the Tunni outside of Baraawe.
are there any barwanis left in barawe or did they all flee?

are there any barwanis left in barawe or did they all flee?
No they do still live there, they even have 4 of the 27 seats in the baraawe district, so there is still a sizable population of them there but I don't know exactly how many. There is even a very known Radio channel there that is in the Chimwiini language.

Does anyone here speak any of these languages?

1664876384279.png

Af-Dahalo sounds funny(numma guhooni)

Does anyone here speak any of these languages?

View attachment 239815

Af-Dahalo sounds funny(numma guhooni)
I speak Maay and know people who speak speak Dabarre. Dabarre and tunni are quite similar to Maay and can be understood by Maay speakers. However Jiddu is hard to understand even for Maay speakers.

It can be said that Tunni/dabarre/Garre/jiddu etc come under Maay due to the fact that they dont contain the cayn or ghayn or xaa sound like Maay and can be written in Maay format.